AQ275... shallow water question-gctid406759

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AQ275... shallow water question-gctid406759

I know I'm to never trim the drive while under way...

But I'm planning on beaching the boat tomorrow and there is a good chance of hitting some boulders approaching the sand. Can I raise the unit up and still have it in gear and use it that way to check potential beach sites? I would never go over 1K rpms...

Thanks!

KC :-)

I do at idle.

A couple of weeks ago I was exploring a shallow bay and when I got a little too shallow I raised the outdrive some and U turned it out of there. It is better than damaging the prop or sucking up some mud.

Just make sure you do it as little as possible and only at idle. And keep the water intake in the water.

Comment

trophyboat wrote:
      I do at idle.

A couple of weeks ago I was exploring a shallow bay and when I got a little too shallow I raised the outdrive some and U turned it out of there. It is better than damaging the prop or sucking up some mud.

Just make sure you do it as little as possible and only at idle. And keep the water intake in the water.
      +1. It is ok at idle speed only. There is a clutch inside the tilt unit that will allow the unit to retract, but it can do some damage.
      Tony, Cape Cod, MA
      Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
      1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
      454 Merc Cruisers inboards
      "HOLODECK"
      2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
      www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Tilt up at idle is ok. Trailer position all the way up not ok

Be careful it's easy to forget that the drive is up and throttle up and cause damage.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

What I did was at dead idle, shift to neutral. Tilt the drive to where you need it, then engage FWD. I do this to reduce pressure on the lift mechanism.

NO REVERSE when you are tilted up. Idle speed ONLY!
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll try to keep it down as much as I can and lift it a bit only if necessary.

I'm really glad I have an older boat to learn from... I'd feel terrible gouging a new $25K boat!

Comment

kellynm wrote:
              Thanks guys! I'll try to keep it down as much as I can and lift it a bit only if necessary.

I'm really glad I have an older boat to learn from... I'd feel terrible gouging a new $25K boat!
              LOL! I fell terrible taking a nick out of my 28 year old boat. The older Bays are SUPER boats!
              Tony, Cape Cod, MA
              Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
              1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
              454 Merc Cruisers inboards
              "HOLODECK"
              2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
              www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Download_Complete wrote:
                What I did was at dead idle, shift to neutral. Tilt the drive to where you need it, then engage FWD. I do this to reduce pressure on the lift mechanism.

NO REVERSE when you are tilted up. Idle speed ONLY!
                Ditto!
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

guys did i miss something at boating school! I may be doing something wrong . I trim my drive up just a tad while underway to put the boat in a more favorable position , is this wrong?! am i damaging my drive system? also we always beach in 2-3 ft of water i use the trim as to not hit sand bars in shallow beach areas

Comment

[QUOTE]Scraping B wrote:
                    guys did i miss something at boating school! I may be doing something wrong . I trim my drive up just a tad while underway to put the boat in a more favorable position , is this wrong?! am i damaging my drive system? also we always beach in 2-3 ft of water i use the trim as to not hit sand bars in shallow beach areas

Our 275 came without hydraulic trim. We only have mechanical tilt for trailering. Yours probably did so you should be fine.

Comment

+1, this is one of the partiuclar oddities of the volvo AQ drives only. I raise my drive and use the kicker instead if I am going in real shallow or to beach.

Comment

[QUOTE]Scraping B wrote:

The OP's drive is an early Volvo Penta standard style..... re; 270, 275, 280, 285. These drives did not have P/T.

(back then, only a few of the Volvo Penta drives offered power trim)

During and after the 290, all Volvo Pentas were P/T.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

whew! thanks guys.

Comment

I wish mine did. My center trim hole gets me on plane fast but I prefer the outside trim hole for bigger waves so the bow stays up. Lately I have been going back and forth and am never happy and go back to the other setting.

Comment

Working...
                            X