Rocna vs. Delta Anchors-gctid406650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocna vs. Delta Anchors-gctid406650

I'm considering changing my anchor, currently a Delta, to a Rocna anchor and would like hear opinions on either of them -- good, bad, or ugly. The bottom where we typically anchor is a soft, black, sort of mud (at least that's what all over my chain and anchor when I bring them up. It seems like the Delta wants to drag in higher wind conditions, even when I let out more scope (sometimes in the 9:1 or 10:1 ratio) and I'm starting to feel very leery about anchoring out overnight with my distrust of the anchor. I've heard that the Rocna doesn't tend to do that because of its design with the roll bar and the concave flutes. Does anybody have experience with the Rocna anchor? Has anybody made the switch and if so, what was the outcome?

All opinions, pros & cons, are welcome. Thanks in advance.

You may want to consider a Fortress anchor (Danforth style)- they have excellent holding power in soft sand and mud.

Comment

I use a Delta, mainly in mud or sand. I have minimal issues with it setting or holding and those few times could be blamed on insufficient rode.

Some other things to check are chain length and anchor weight.

I have the 35lb Delta which is two sizes up from the "recommended " size and @ 15' I think my chain is barely acceptable.

I would also suggest you ask around to see what other people in your area are using and if they're happy with it.

Comment

I cruise with 2 boats that changed over to Rocna anchors. They are happy but not ecstatic. They both think the Rocna holds better, but not so much so that they're 100% positive. Both had to modify their pulpits to make the Rocna stow and deploy properly.

Comment

This is my first season with the rocna and I endorse it 100%. Replaced my delta with it that did not hold nearly as well. My rocna has not come loose one time this season. I now sleep like the dead at night.

Comment

I am in love with our Rocna - probably the best mod I have done to our boat. Mine is the 33# model, and it fits fine on the stock roller with no issues. This weekend I am switching up our anchor rode and will now have 30' of chain instead of my paltry 10' now. I can't wait. I have had our boat anchored in 30 mph wind with 45 mph gusts and it hasn't budged. Rocna is the real deal. Its the only anchor that I would use now if I am going to sleep out on the hook with my wife and our two little girls. (of course I set my anchor drag alarm too!)

Comment

I switched from a 22 pound Delta to a 33 pound Rocna a bout 2 years ago. I have had no issues with it holding.

We have 30 feet of 5/8" chain and 300 feet of 5/8" rope.

I did not trust the Delta due to it slipping one too many times.
              Jim McNeely
              New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
              Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
              Brighton, Michigan USA
              MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Thanks all for the replies and opinions. Pete, I had a Danforth-style many years ago when I first purchased the boat and was unhappy with it for several years before switching over to the Delta. Glad you 305 owners chimed in about the Rocna and how it fits with the anchor roller without mods along with rock-solid holding power. Jim, I have the same concerns with the Delta slipping one too many times. I won't change for the rest of the season (at least I don't think I will), but will likely go with the Rocna next season. Thanks again.

Comment

I have a Delta and and a Manson Supreme deployed as we speak. The Delta is a great anchor however the Manson is the anchor. The Delta works very well however has a tendency to lay cocked to one side and may drag in heavier winds in mud or sand. The Manson will dig in straight and hold no matter what mother nature has thrown at me. The Delta is really good but the Manson is my anchor of choice. http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/SitePages/Supreme.htm
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I boat in an area with all soft mud around. I used a 22lbs bruce anchor with 15' of chain. I have been in 60mph winds and she hasnt broken loose. TBQH I have never had my anchor break loose, any of my bruces I love them.

Comment

I will say I have never had issue with our Delta anchor holding. I am beginning to wonder if that is due to the anchor or the fact that I have an all chain rode.
                      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Previous boat: 1993 3055
                      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE
                      Life is short. Boats are cool.
                      The family that plays together stays together.
                      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I also use the rocna on my 2452, and can strongly recommend it...holds strong and sets amazingly quick

Comment

Working...
                        X