Bimini Stench

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bimini Stench

Been about a week and a half since I've been able to get to the boat due to work. Got there last night for a nice evening cruise and there was a dead fish that I presume an eagle left for me on top of the Bimini. Looked and smelled like it had been there for several days and its been in the 80's for the last 4 or 5 days. Any advise on how to get the smell out of the material of the Bimini?
    Ted G
    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
    Designers Edition
    Mercury 350 Mag
    290 Volvo DP

You will likely need to remove it to get it all clean. What I have done in the past is remove it from the bows and take it up to a large wood deck at the marina and lay it out flat and scrub it with distilled vinegar and water and soap. The vinegar and water removed the smell and rinse it well then I soaped it down and cleaned it with Quick N Brite and it smells like a box of Downey dryer sheets now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-N-Bri...ty!98312!US!-1
    MY 3988
    M/V MMPOWRD
    Poulsbo, WA

Comment

• nwboater62
      nwboater62 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I have some Quick and Brite. Thank you!

Although vinegar will help, I would also perhaps after the vinegar spray an enzymatic cleaner on it. The enzymes will continue to breakdown the odor causing bacteria over time..
    Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
    1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

My bimini fit easily in the big washer at the Laundromat. No need to dry it. I wouldn't want to be the next washer user.
      Tally and Vicki
      "Wickus" Meridian 341
      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Working...
      X