Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing an all chain rode-gctid406341

Possible silly question.....

The rode that I ordered is apparently not available right now, so I was looking at some other choices. I found a setup that I like with 50' of chain and 250' of 8 plait nylon. The question I have is there are a lot of times when I would only have 50' or less out when anchoring, so how do you secure the chain forward of the windlass? Do you wrap it around a cleat? I am used to doing a normal hitch with the nylon rode, but not sure on the chain.

First you could just let out enough rode to get to rope.

You could tie a rope to the chain and cleat the rope.

The most sailor like way would be to use a "Devils claw" attached to a rope you cleat. The claw hooks to and holds onto the chain.

You could also buy a chain hook and attach that to a rope. A chain hook's opening is more of a slot than hook shape.

Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Makes sense Jim - didn't even think of using a claw or hook like that. Great idea!

Comment

Some thing further to consider, I believe that you should have the anchor tied down while under way. A few years ago, a friend of mine, while bringing his new to him boat home, doing rough weather did not see the anchor part deploy, with the chain jumping in the windlass, so for quite a few miles, the anchor was swinging from the roller, punching holes in the bow of the boat.

cheers

Comment

Peter brings up a second concern. Perhaps a chain stop would work for you.

One nice thing about having that much chain deployed is that it typically won't shock against the stop as the hull swings or bounces a bit.

This guy made himself a pretty good safety system for while under way.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

chain would be sweet, all those bowriders that LOVE to drive right over my rope, man I would love them to snag my chain

Comment

biohazard wrote:
              chain would be sweet, all those bowriders that LOVE to drive right over my rope, man I would love them to snag my chain
              Chain rode would give those guys less grief. It is heavy enough that it drops very fast out in front of the boat. Often dead vertical, where the weight of the chain is enough to hold you in light winds, and there's no load on the anchor at all.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                Chain rode would give those guys less grief. It is heavy enough that it drops very fast out in front of the boat. Often dead vertical, where the weight of the chain is enough to hold you in light winds, and there's no load on the anchor at all.
                Thats ok by me, one of these days my rode is going to get cut. People seem obsessed with driving directly over it. lol I just dont get it

Comment

Peter W wrote:
                  Some thing further to consider, I believe that you should have the anchor tied down while under way. A few years ago, a friend of mine, while bringing his new to him boat home, doing rough weather did not see the anchor part deploy, with the chain jumping in the windlass, so for quite a few miles, the anchor was swinging from the roller, punching holes in the bow of the boat.

cheers
                  This is part of my install with the new rode:

http://www.iboats.com/Lewmar-Anchor-...m/view_id.4284

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                    I don't know what it's caled...or have a link.........but I have seen people using some sort of weight that slides down the rode near the bow and holds the rode deeper in the water. I assumed that it served two purposes.

1. To hold the rode at less of an angle and provide more of a horizontal pull on the anchor.

2. To hold the rode deeper so that other boats wont catch it in their props.

and possibly a third

To act as a snubber.

Ryan, you might want to get one if your having issues with other boats running into your rode.

Anyone know what it's called?.....

Comment

I can't find the model of mine. I use one that has a hook coming out of it and a lever you push down to lock. You hook the chain with the lever up, then push the lever up to pull back on the chain and lock in place. It keeps the chain under tension so it doesn't bounce around and beat up the deck.

Ah, finally found it: https://windline.com/index.php?act=viewdetails&mod=104

Comment

R&Jonthebay wrote:

Ryan, you might want to get one if your having issues with other boats running into your rode.

Yes, it's called adding more chain, or all chain, to your rode! :kidding

Or...... you attch one of these to a ring, snap the ring over your anchor line, and let it slide down a bit.

That should prevent these schmucks from cutting to close to you.

I want one of these with remote attach/detach capabilities so that I don't need to leave the helm!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Anyone know what it's called?
                          It's called a catenary.

Comment

R&Jonthebay wrote:
                            I don't know what it's caled...or have a link.........but I have seen people using some sort of weight that slides down the rode near the bow and holds the rode deeper in the water. I assumed that it served two purposes.

1. To hold the rode at less of an angle and provide more of a horizontal pull on the anchor.

2. To hold the rode deeper so that other boats wont catch it in their props.

and possibly a third

To act as a snubber.

It's called a kellet.

A catenary is the drape of the hanging chain.

Comment

I think that I recall my grandfather talking about using a kellet. I've not used one, but it sure looks like it would work.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X