highliner trailer has hitch with two inch coupler-gctid406328

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

highliner trailer has hitch with two inch coupler-gctid406328

just pulled boat 2550 saratoga with totally rebuilt trailer for first time . only has 2 inch coupler this okay? jerry

Sounds OK, but what is the weight of the boat and trailer? What is the hitch weight? What is the tow capacity of your vehicle? What is the hitch capacity? Dead weight or weight-distributing? The hitch ball capacity should be on the ball, same for the ball mount and the reciever hitch. Lots of info needed here...
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

The coupler rating will be stamped into the coupler somewhere..... take a look. I'll bet you're OK.
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

You also need to look at the stamping on the ball. 2 inch balls have weight ratings from about 3500# to 8000#. There are a few different shaft sizes out there. I am not sure of the weight of your setup, but, using a 2 inch ball is not ideal in my book unless you make sure it can handle the higher weight capacity. Just for reference.....My 2452 cierra... boat only, empty, dry weight weighed in around 4500 pounds. Add fuel, water, ice chest gear and trailer...... I weighed out at 6600 pounds (I have 18 wheeler scales at my business where I checked the weight). I have a 2 5/16 ball because I was lucky when I got this trailer. The 2 inch ball i had on my truck for pulling my previous boat was rated at 5500 pounds.

IMO.... a 2 inch would be fine. Just make sure it is rated correctly for the maximum possible weight you are going to be pulling. Better safe than sorry.

Check weight capacity on the trailer coupler, ball, hitch and vehicle. If the ball is not stamped with the capacity, throw it away and spend the 15 bucks on one that you know will work.

Comment

Working...
        X