Ants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ants

I hadn't even considered this possible, what with the boat on a trailer, and the hull supposedly watertight. The boat was stored in dry storage since the new year except one trip in March to test everything and keep things lubricated. I did a lot of work in April replacing the radio. The annual maintenance check in May found a leak in the cooling system had sprayed seawater all over the front pulley and belt assembly. Boat was at the shipyard for 2 weeks while they waited for parts and replaced everything that was rusted out. I got it back last week and took a brief look inside the cabin and engine bay, but didn't see anything unusual.

Today I went aboard to work on the plumbing and noticed a few ants crawling around the cockpit. That seemed weird. I squashed them, and opened the engine hatch and began work. Over the next hour, I vacuumed up probably 50 more ants. Most of them seemed to be crawling from under the hot water heater, and near the battery boxes, though that may just be because that's the area I was working on. It's a steady stream coming out 1-3 at a time every few minutes.

I searched the cabin for any food someone might have left, but didn't find any. I walked around the boat looking for any ant trails on the tires or hull, but nothing. I'm puzzled what could've attracted them. Is there something in the engine which they might find tasty?
    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Put out a couple of ant traps with the poison in it. You may have a nest that will get more problematic with time.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Moisture ants? Carpenter ants? Any wet wood anywhere? I'd pull the water heater and investigate.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Remember the concrete in that area!
        Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
        96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Heck the darn things were laying eggs in my mail box, hundreds of them. Metal box on a metal pole.

I put them all to with some ant spray.
          1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

They looked like the standard Argentine ants. I didn't see any when I dropped by the boat this morning, but all the same I put down some borax/sugar water mixture I'd prepared (same stuff as Terro ant poison). Hopefully that takes care of any possible nest.
            1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Working...
            X