Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearing Buddies-gctid405833

This sux...

Purchased a new set of BB's, installed them, drove to lake and back... parked boat and noticed BOTH BB's gone!!!

There is no way they just fell off, I had to really pound them in during installation. Guess I better check my hubs, bearings and anything else that might be causing some vibrations???

$30... down the drain!

If they came off, the nut on the spindle holding the wheel on is not tight and is probably wobbling. Lift the wheel and shake the entire wheel and see if there is play in them. If so, then just pull the lock ring and give a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to tighten them up.
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Doug... I'll check and follow up with a post later tonight.

Comment

A local fishing site I visit had a similar thread recently. The guy bought the BB's and couldn't get them to stay on even right there in the driveway. They were built to too broad a tolerance. He took them back - the replacements were also too loose. He went through another exchange; one fit and one was too loose. He gave up and bought a different make.

I just bought a new trailer with ones called "the Vault". Very cool design. Time will tell ...

Comment

Mine have been on for over 15 years. I guess you could use some lock tite but it might be hard to get them off next time.

Comment

Most of our hubs have a 1.90" inner hub dimension. After purchasing one that wouldn't go in, I assummed that I'd got a lemon. I mic'd it and it was 1.94. No wonder it wouldn't go in. When I went back for a replacement, I took my mic with me and the first one that I tried was 1.92. Second one was 1.90 so I took it. The quality control on these products obviously leaves a lot to be desired. If you are purchasing one, and don't have a mic that large, have the store do it for you, it'll save you some frustration.
            Bob Hawes.
            Kelowna, B.C.
            1998 Trophy 2052 WA
            4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Got home lastnight and discovered I had about 1/8" of play on both hubs. The only person to blame for this is me since I am the one who replaced the bearings and seals last fall. But I know I put the spindle nuts on tight and then backed off one slot for the cotter pin. I think I should have driven around town for a few miles and then checked to see if everything was still seated correctly.

I guess for $30 and some grease, it's a pretty cheap lesson to always check hubs, nuts etc!

Comment

not that I'm happy with the problems that you had but it sure was good info and, I guess, gave me a good education on what to do when my turn comes

those "Vault" hub greaser/oilers do look good . . . might just try those when I redo the trailer hubs next spring . . .
                1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
                Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                James H. Stradling

Comment

Kelly, IMO it would not be a deal breaker if you were to forgo the BB's, and install a simple hub cap at each hub.

BB's are often misunderstood in that they only provide a mild positive pressure to the hub in order to keep water out as the hub cools and the interior volume becomes mildly negative.

They are not intended to add any grease to the roller cages.

They do work, but if you're having trouble keeping them installed, just use the hub caps.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Good point Rick... I just may do that!

I also may check into a brand by Reese... same concept as BB's but 1/2 the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower.../dp/B000CPCC4U

Comment

kellynm wrote:
                      Got home lastnight and discovered I had about 1/8" of play on both hubs. The only person to blame for this is me since I am the one who replaced the bearings and seals last fall. But I know I put the spindle nuts on tight and then backed off one slot for the cotter pin. I think I should have driven around town for a few miles and then checked to see if everything was still seated correctly.

I guess for $30 and some grease, it's a pretty cheap lesson to always check hubs, nuts etc!
                      Yep, I had the same issues after I rebuilt my hubs. I installed new races and bearings and I too tighten the spindle nuts. After install and running the trailer for several miles, one needs to recheck them for looseness.

Glad the offending reason for the disappearing BB's has been solved...
                      Doug ;}
                      MMSI: 338068776
                      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you but I like to read threads that have follow-up posts by the OP... so here goes.

I tightened the castle nut, took the boat (trailer) out for a spin and re-checked nut... all tight.

Purchased a set of Reese BB's... 1/2 the price and I see why... plastic snap rings to keep everything tight and I had to use my dremel tool to shave a bit of the thickness off in order to install... not exactly the highest quality item. Upon installation, I packed 'em full o' grease and noticed theres a weeper hole installed to indicate the BB is full of grease... liked that!

Took the boat to the lake... 1 hr drive over a bumpy road... BB's still there at launch... good sign.

Drove home and checked... BB's still there!

So... I'm sure if I had checked the castle nuts before installing the first set of BB's, they would still be there. The Reese BB's appear to be doing alright, but I would prefer to have the authentic BB's. No big deal... maybe I spring for an actual set of metal snap rings and ....

who am I kidding... I'll just buy the real BB's and call it a day!

As a side note.... spent the day at the lake with the family yesterday... boat ran well, time with fam was awesome... but I suck at retrailering the boat! I have to learn how to do that better... maybe I'll start a new thread with video of me attempting to get the boat back on the trailer... Seriously... it's embarrassing! The wind was blowing, but still... thank God the ramp wasn't busy!

Smooth boating to all!

Comment

I too had bearing buddies . And I was always losing them on the road. But I went back to using the original super lube grease/dust caps with the rubber grommets. Never lost one of them. But what I like to do is to pull the rubber grommet off of the dust cap after each dunking. I just like to make sure the grease has not become milky.
                          Gregg
                          2006 225 BR
                          XT Package
                          5.0 MPI
                          Alpha I Gen II
                          39.41130 N
                          76.35131W

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
                            Yep, I had the same issues after I rebuilt my hubs. I installed new races and bearings and I too tighten the spindle nuts. After install and running the trailer for several miles, one needs to recheck them for looseness.

Glad the offending reason for the disappearing BB's has been solved...
                            I too have had the same issues,over the years. Once the new bearings and races have been seated and the nut tightened accordingly,losing BB's have been a non-issue. BB's do keep water out of the bearings ,they keep pressure on the grease. As the grease warms up it does work it's way throughout the hub. When I travel with the boat,I do keep a extra hub on hand,ready to go. As I travel throughout the week,I see numerous boats/trailers on the side of the road,with the tire and hub missing.

Comment

If you ever buy another trailer get center lube hubs. That way when you grease them you are adding new grease to the inner bearing and the old comes out the dust cover center seal. Sixteen years on two trailers and never lost a bearing. Now that I said that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock

Comment

Working...
                              X