Vinyl seat repair?-gctid405738

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl seat repair?-gctid405738

Hey gang - noticed a few very minor tears in my vinyl seats today, and would like to keep them very minor. In general, the seats still look new. Any ideas on what to use for conspicuous repair, as a couple of the tears are on the tops of the seat backs? I was thinking of using some clear super glue that would keep them from getting larger.

Might work. Every time I try something like that, my fingers stick to what I am trying to glue and what is to be gluded together never sticks. Good luck.

Comment

I would think the super glue would crack since the vinyl will flex. A business that comes to mind is Dr. Vinyl, might be costly if there is one in your area.

Richard

Comment

Zebra Muscle wrote:
        Hey gang - noticed a few very minor tears in my vinyl seats today, and would like to keep them very minor. In general, the seats still look new. Any ideas on what to use for conspicuous repair, as a couple of the tears are on the tops of the seat backs? I was thinking of using some clear super glue that would keep them from getting larger.
        Hi, I had some tears in our vinyl. I'm very good with my hands and hate spending money but after researching and thinking of future resale, we opted to bring in a professional. We used a guy from color glo, he came to the boat. First he backed the tears then applied a mixed resin, then used a texturizer to match existing. He then mixed some paints and using a compressor gently sprayed the paint to blend and match. In truth, it's been a year, I can't tell where the tears were. He advises the repairs are strong as heck. There was a tear on the lounge to port, one on the helm and some on the vberth. It took several hours and was $250 in all, in hindsite, it was worth the cost. There may be a location near you. http://colorglo.com/ in Canada http://colorglo.ca

Comment

I have used a simple commercial vinyl repair kit on two holes and an X-shaped rip. Got kit at auto parts store. Worked very well, to my surprise. Takes about an hour to repair a tear. You can even come very close to any color with this single kit = about $11. I am not at a place where I can get the exact brand name for you, but I will in a few days if you respond here that you want detailed information. Jerry

Comment

I used a vinyl repair kit from Permatex with varying degrees of success.

If your interior is great and it's just a fee spots you need to fix, pay a professional. The quality of their tools and products are supperior.

It's almost impossible to match the color with these kits and after a month the repairs I did started to develop tiny cracks, even after using 303 protectant.

The only reason I went the DIY route for this type of repair is becasue I plan on replacing the interior in a year or so and just wanted to buy myself some time.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X