Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    nanmar,

If you can access the tank's outlet to the water pump you could place a "T" in it to provide and end cap to open to drain.

Richard

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Any ideas or suggestions about draining the tank. Our '92 Classic 2452 has no way to drain except pumping it all out through the sink.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    tho I am paying attention to all of those helpful comments), more with the residual aroma/taste of whatever it is that's used to winterize.
    I think you just need to flush more water thru the tank. When I winterize I never add antifreeze to the water tank. I run it empty, disconnect the fitting from the tank, bypass the water heater, then pump the pink stuff thru the water lines to each faucet.

The antifreeze smell is because they probably just pour 5 gallons into your water tank and flow it thru the faucets. Thats a lot of antifreeze to dilute and flush out in the spring.

Leave a comment:

• MidnightSun
    replied
    I shock treat mine in spring with about 2 cups plus of liquid bleach, fill all the lines by running the faucets and let it sit for at least 24 hours. After I flush the tank out twice and I'm done. After every fill up I add about an once to keep things fresh. I repeat this procedure in fall for layup. We drink our water on board and I would challenge you to tell the difference between it and bottled water. We do however have a drinking spigot installed at the sink where the water is sent through 2 filters before filling our glass. Has been fantastic for the last 8 years.

Leave a comment:

• capt._ron
    replied
    Alaskanmutt wrote:
    How do you know?

He said don't ask;-)

Leave a comment:

• Alaskanmutt
    replied
    How do you know?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If you have an aluminum water tank be careful of bleach products, these two do NOT get along. Corrsion and holes are the end result. Don't ask me how I know.

Richard

Leave a comment:

• Stratocaster
    replied
    captharv wrote:
    municipal water has clorine and floride in it.
    Half right, Harv. Not all municipal water contains fluoride...but it sure does have chlorine.

Leave a comment:

• captharv
    replied
    municipal water has clorine and floride in it. Lasts months.

We use the boat once a month (at least) for an overnight, so the water gets turned over each trip.

Once a year, I run all the water out, and drain the water heater. (Make sure its turned off).

Then refill with a half cup of bleach in it, influding the water heater. let sit overnight, drain completely, and refil with normal water.Be sure to have the water heater completely filled before applying power. Else, buy a new heating element.

Leave a comment:

• CaptTom
    replied
    Agree with the above that the trick is to keep it flowing; use it. Municipal water typically has a small amount of chlorine in it.

Once in spring, and sometimes halfway through the season, I treat it with a small amount of bleach. I don't measure it exactly, maybe 1/4 cup at most. Let that soak for a while then flush all the taps, draining the system totally. A couple more flushes (and after a couple of days) the chlorine smell is gone.

Every time I fill, especially during the bleach treatment, I let it overflow from the vent for a minute or so, to get some of that treated water up into the vent hose to kill anything growing in there.

I drink from the tap all the time. I do have one of those Brita filters on the tap but I don't use it myself. That way I'd know if there was a problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks, all!!! Great information!! We have the boat winterized/unwinterized every year, so I'm not so concerned about stuff growing...(tho I am paying attention to all of those helpful comments), more with the residual aroma/taste of whatever it is that's used to winterize. Cheers!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We live onboard, so the tank is constantly filled, used, and filled again. The water in the tank is used same as it would be used at your home- for everything. We do have a dockside hookup, but I'm just more comfortable with the tank.

No problems with growth in the tank, and no visits from Montezuma, either

Leave a comment:

• Alaskanmutt
    replied
    ÔÇóTo use bleach, add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops; about 0.625 milliliters) of unscented liquid household chlorine (5-6%) bleach for each gallon of clear water (or 2 drops of bleach for each liter or each quart of water),

From the CDC

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Anybody have a good ratio of bleach to water? I put what seemed like

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Once the system is clean & the water is usable don't use your dock water hook-up. I fill the water tank & use it, that way it stays fresh.
    Same with me. I fill the tank and use it. When it gets a bit low, I fill it again. I always keep it full. Less space to grow stuff if its full all the time. I never even hook up the dock supply hose to the boat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X