potable water tank/maintenance-gctid405133

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potable water tank/maintenance-gctid405133

We have a 2655 Bayliner; potable water tank is 27 gallons. My questions are; should we fill this ALL the way up? Will the water stay "fresh"? Do we need to add chlorine or something? Thanks!!!

FreshPure. Sodium Hypochloride

You can get it at Walmart in the RV section or West Marine.

If the water is left for extended periods of time it will take on a plastic taste from the tank, With out a sanitizer it can also grow "stuff"
    Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I prefer to only fill the tank (We have a 70 gal.) with as much water as I think we will need for the occasion. If it's only for the day I fill it about a third of the way. I timed how long it took to fill a five gallon bucket......ten minutes of run time into the tank gives me about twenty five gallons.

If it's going to be an over night trip or longer, I fill it up.

We always drain the tank at the end of the trip. There's no need to add anything to the tank because the water is always fresh.

With that said, a little bleach now and then will help keep the tank and lines clean.

Comment

Once the system is clean & the water is usable don't use your dock water hook-up. I fill the water tank & use it, that way it stays fresh. I did add a culligan whole house filter after the pump, this made the water out of the tank as good as any water I've had anywhere.
        Capt. Ron.
        "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
        "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
        1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
        Hino EH700
        Westerbeke 8.0
        1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
        on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

Clorine bleach or water tablets, sanitizes the water, the tank and the plumbing. Google water purification for the proper amount.

Comment

We shower on our boat, so the water exchange is pretty high in the tank. We cook, shower and wash with boat water. We make coffee with a 3 gallon "store bought" and have a 24 pack of 16oz waters to drink as needed.

Boat water is pretty good. We drain the tank every fall, and run a little bleach through it in the spring. We don't have super high fluxuations in temp in the PNW, though.
            Tally and Vicki
            "Wickus" Meridian 341
            MMSI 338014939

Comment

Once the system is clean & the water is usable don't use your dock water hook-up. I fill the water tank & use it, that way it stays fresh.
              Same with me. I fill the tank and use it. When it gets a bit low, I fill it again. I always keep it full. Less space to grow stuff if its full all the time. I never even hook up the dock supply hose to the boat.

Comment

Anybody have a good ratio of bleach to water? I put what seemed like

Comment

ÔÇóTo use bleach, add 1/8 teaspoon (or 8 drops; about 0.625 milliliters) of unscented liquid household chlorine (5-6%) bleach for each gallon of clear water (or 2 drops of bleach for each liter or each quart of water),

From the CDC
                  Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

We live onboard, so the tank is constantly filled, used, and filled again. The water in the tank is used same as it would be used at your home- for everything. We do have a dockside hookup, but I'm just more comfortable with the tank.

No problems with growth in the tank, and no visits from Montezuma, either

Comment

Thanks, all!!! Great information!! We have the boat winterized/unwinterized every year, so I'm not so concerned about stuff growing...(tho I am paying attention to all of those helpful comments), more with the residual aroma/taste of whatever it is that's used to winterize. Cheers!!

Comment

Agree with the above that the trick is to keep it flowing; use it. Municipal water typically has a small amount of chlorine in it.

Once in spring, and sometimes halfway through the season, I treat it with a small amount of bleach. I don't measure it exactly, maybe 1/4 cup at most. Let that soak for a while then flush all the taps, draining the system totally. A couple more flushes (and after a couple of days) the chlorine smell is gone.

Every time I fill, especially during the bleach treatment, I let it overflow from the vent for a minute or so, to get some of that treated water up into the vent hose to kill anything growing in there.

I drink from the tap all the time. I do have one of those Brita filters on the tap but I don't use it myself. That way I'd know if there was a problem.

Comment

municipal water has clorine and floride in it. Lasts months.

We use the boat once a month (at least) for an overnight, so the water gets turned over each trip.

Once a year, I run all the water out, and drain the water heater. (Make sure its turned off).

Then refill with a half cup of bleach in it, influding the water heater. let sit overnight, drain completely, and refil with normal water.Be sure to have the water heater completely filled before applying power. Else, buy a new heating element.
                          Captharv 2001 2452
                          "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

captharv wrote:
                            municipal water has clorine and floride in it.
                            Half right, Harv. Not all municipal water contains fluoride...but it sure does have chlorine.
                            Mike P
                            The Bahamas
                            Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

If you have an aluminum water tank be careful of bleach products, these two do NOT get along. Corrsion and holes are the end result. Don't ask me how I know.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X