• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Info on 3M 5200-gctid405093

|-----------Original Message Follows------------|

Subject = [P] Marine Contact Us

Message = I have purchased 3M 5200 marine sealant on many occasions. It is

very frustrating when I re-open a tube that cost me over $8 and find that the

product has cured in the top of the tube and is almost impossible to get out.

I don't feel this should be a one-time use product. I have very carefully

cleaned the threads and the cap and secured the cap on the tube snuggly being

carful not to over tighten the cap.

The result is the same. I love your product and use it on my boat, but this

issue needs to be resolved as I can not justify purchasing additional products

if it becomes unusable after one use.

RESPONSE FROM 3M

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for contacting 3M Marine.

Unfortunately, there is no way to resolve this particular issue, other than buying only what you need for a single use. That is why we sell this product in 1 oz and 3 oz squeeze tubes as well as larger packages. Once the factory seals on the packaging are broken and the product is exposed to the atmosphere, it will cure in the tube. If you go much beyond the shelf life of these products, they will eventually cure in the tube without being opened.

This is the nature of the beast. It is a consequence of the chemistry used, and not something that we intentionally design into the product. If we were able to make changes to eliminate this issue, the resulting product would not be 5200, or anything close to 5200.

There are a couple of methods that can help extend the open life.´┐¢ ´┐¢ If you have access to a refrigerator that is dedicated to non-food use (do not store this product with food!), cooling this product to between 40 F and 32 F will nearly shut down the curing reaction. Packing the product in an airtight container with minimum dead airspace along with silica gel or other dessicants can also extend the open life.

Regards,

Scott S.

3M Marine

www.mmm.com/marine

1-877-366-2746

I am pretty sure it says on the bottle or package, that is begins to cure nomatter what after it is opened and it touches air. I am almost positive I read that somewhere on the package or bottle.

On that note, I have goten 5200 to last for quiet some time before its shot.

Comment

The other day I wanted to reuse this small tube and it was dried up at the cap. I couldn't budge it at all. So, I cut a small slit in the other end of the tube and was able to use what I needed.

I figure I can keep adding slits to the tube until I run out of space thus using most of the tube over successive times of use.

Comment

I keep mine in the refrigerator along with my super glue collection, in zip lock bags. Lasts a LONG time that way.
        " WET EVER "
        1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
        mmsi 338108404
        mmsi 338124956
        "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

The fridge idea is great. I'll stick it in a zip-lock and put it in there.

What I do for the dried end is screw in a #12 wood screw then pull it out. That usually gets the majority of the problem out of the tube.

Comment

Packing the product in an airtight container with minimum dead airspace along with silica gel or other dessicants
            Next time I'll try the food saver vacuum bags and refrigerate.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
              The fridge idea is great. I'll stick it in a zip-lock and put it in there.

What I do for the dried end is screw in a #12 wood screw then pull it out. That usually gets the majority of the problem out of the tube.
              The wood screw is working for me quite well too.
              1992 4588
              WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

s Keller wrote:
                Next time I'll try the food saver vacuum bags and refrigerate.
                Great idea. :arr

Comment

I have a product that I sell on the web called 2BLOK that will keep a tube of 5200 fresh for weeks. I have had a tube go as long as 6 months ! Yes 6 months. It was a little slow coming out of the tube but it did come out and I used it to set some tile in my laundry room. 2BLOK will keep Gorilla Glue fresh for years. This is not a scam or a joke. Go to 2BLOK.com to watch my how to video and to order. Hey 3m ?Wanna talk ?

The Dude

AKBASSKING wrote:
                  |-----------Original Message Follows------------|

Subject = [P] Marine Contact Us

Message = I have purchased 3M 5200 marine sealant on many occasions. It is

very frustrating when I re-open a tube that cost me over $8 and find that the

product has cured in the top of the tube and is almost impossible to get out.

I don't feel this should be a one-time use product. I have very carefully

cleaned the threads and the cap and secured the cap on the tube snuggly being

carful not to over tighten the cap.

The result is the same. I love your product and use it on my boat, but this

issue needs to be resolved as I can not justify purchasing additional products

if it becomes unusable after one use.

RESPONSE FROM 3M

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for contacting 3M Marine.

Unfortunately, there is no way to resolve this particular issue, other than buying only what you need for a single use. That is why we sell this product in 1 oz and 3 oz squeeze tubes as well as larger packages. Once the factory seals on the packaging are broken and the product is exposed to the atmosphere, it will cure in the tube. If you go much beyond the shelf life of these products, they will eventually cure in the tube without being opened.

This is the nature of the beast. It is a consequence of the chemistry used, and not something that we intentionally design into the product. If we were able to make changes to eliminate this issue, the resulting product would not be 5200, or anything close to 5200.

There are a couple of methods that can help extend the open life.´┐¢ ´┐¢ If you have access to a refrigerator that is dedicated to non-food use (do not store this product with food!), cooling this product to between 40 F and 32 F will nearly shut down the curing reaction. Packing the product in an airtight container with minimum dead airspace along with silica gel or other dessicants can also extend the open life.

Regards,

Scott S.

3M Marine

www.mmm.com/marine

1-877-366-2746
                  Photo album - Bayliner 3255 Avanti - 1989

Comment

3M 5200 is only needed to secure a hull to deck joint for boat builders. There is no need for casual boaters to ever use the stuff for caulking or sealing, yet I see time and time again boaters using it.

Perplexing...................
                    www.boatyardgm.com
                    www.pacificyachtimports.net
                    2002 Carver Voyager 57
                    "Making Waves"
                    3988 250 Hinos
                    "The Dark Side"
                    Alameda, California

Comment

NeilW wrote:
                      3M 5200 is only needed to secure a hull to deck joint for boat builders. There is no need for casual boaters to ever use the stuff for caulking or sealing, yet I see time and time again boaters using it.

You mean Ed shouldn't have 2 tubes of it sealing his transom shield ?

............ Perplexing indeed
                      " WET EVER "
                      1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                      mmsi 338108404
                      mmsi 338124956
                      "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

dktool wrote:
                        You mean Ed shouldn't have 2 tubes of it sealing his transom shield ?

............ Perplexing indeed
                        If you are using 5200 to turn the transom shield into a part of the hull, isn't that technically considered boat building?

Comment

NeilW wrote:

+1

I do not think I have ever used it. I have one small tube in my tool bag that I keep just in case. I have found the 3200 that comes in a squeeze tube from Home Depot or Lowes lasts a long time in the tube. It seems to hold well it can be sanded and painted but still has some flex in it.

Comment

I wish they would make a 1/4oz tube. I like to use it for permanent attachment of things like holders for the brake line and wires on the trailer. Nothing else has ever held but 5200. I agree, there isn't much on a boat where you should use it. I have to admit, the plate I mounted my fire extinguisher to is attached with 5200 just because I mounted something to the trailer at the same time.....

Comment

I think many people confuse 3M 5200 with 3M Fast Cure 5200, thinking that one is simply a faster-setting version of the other. That isn't correct. 5200 Fast Cure is considered -by 3M- to be permanent, and 5200 is removable.

Use 3M's product selector and you'll find dozens of applications for 5200 that are not limited to hull/deck joints.

As an aside, it's interesting to see that this year-old dead thread was resurrected by a spammer.

Comment

Working...
                              X