Shipwrecks in My Neck of the woods...Errr.. Ocean-gctid404715

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipwrecks in My Neck of the woods...Errr.. Ocean-gctid404715

I thought I would post some google earth pics of shipwrecks in my boating area within several miles of my marina. All of these wrecks are walking distance from the shore at low tide. I have visited all these sites but it is tough to get a larger boat to them because of the low water depth at times. These ships are all in the range of 80 feet plus. They have been there a long time. These are only a few of the ones we can see. There are literally hundreds in deeper water. Everything from pleasure boats to submarines. Maybe it's time to get into diving.

Matt

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708451=30132-gi.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708451=30133-obc.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708451=30134-obf.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708451=30135-ox.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708451=30136-pi.jpg[/img]

That's interesting. How easy is it to walk out to them, or would you attempt it?

Comment

Wreck Diving is a SCUBA specialty, but a regular Advanced Open Water certification certainly allows you to look around them (just not enter them) and that is a blast. I have dove on several wrecks and have no desire to go inside. It's just fun to swim around and see what critters have made it home.

The east coast has thousands of wrecks. If you get the bug, you may be able to hook up with NOAA in your area to help chart them.

We haven't been diving in a few years to next winter we are getting our gear checked out and next summer we plan on diving from our boat. That was the plan from the start. Boat diving is a blast and I think much easier than shore diving. I like using the anchor line as my "guide" to get down quickly, and I then use it as my navigation reference to explore.

Underwater scooters are like motorcycles for the sea... the only way to travel I assume they have them for salt water... we used them in lakes a quarries.
      Aquatic Muse
      Mount Vernon, WA
      MMSI: 367498870
      '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Comment

onthelake wrote:
        That's interesting. How easy is it to walk out to them, or would you attempt it?
        I have visited all of them. They are either very close to shore or easily accessable at low tide. When going out to the wrecks in pic 3 and 5 you kind of feel a little weird because the ships are submerged just under the surface with an odd piece sticking out above the water here and there. You really can't see the whole wreck at once like you can in the google earth shot so you don't know what you are standing next to underwater but you know it's a shipwreck. The wreck in pic 2 is about 50 yards off shore when the tide is up. At low tide, you can easily walk to it as it it high and dry on the bar. Over the last several years more and more of that wreck has been uncovered.

Comment

Ding Dang wrote:
          I thought I would post some google earth pics of shipwrecks in my boating area within several miles of my marina. All of these wrecks are walking distance from the shore at low tide. I have visited all these sites but it is tough to get a larger boat to them because of the low water depth at times. These ships are all in the range of 80 feet plus. They have been there a long time. These are only a few of the ones we can see. There are literally hundreds in deeper water. Everything from pleasure boats to submarines. Maybe it's time to get into diving.

Matt
          Diving is a great sport and had the chance to do a beach entry dive years ago up there.The water was clear and a great dive !!!

Comment

Ding Dang wrote:

Matt
            I recognize the one off Oakland Beach. Where are the others?

Comment

Ags8th wrote:
              I recognize the one off Oakland Beach. Where are the others?
              Yes there is one off Oakland Beach. One is in Occupessatuxet Cove, another at Greene Island, and another on the east side of Sister Prudence just north of the light. I have attached a couple of more pics that I meant to attach in the original post. I can count at least 5 in this pic. I like to call this area the graveyard.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img] http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X