Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dadrock33 View Post
    . . . . can't do "stickies" anymore??
    Stickies do not “stick” to the recent topics tab on the right of the main forum page. They only stick a topic at the top of its forum, this one being general boating topics.

Thanks!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

OK my 2cent the 2859 has one of the best layouts for cruising as well cockpit good for fishing, not perfect but affordable, will fit on a trailer when you are 700 Mil from salt.
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I am a runabout owner. For where I live, boats over 30 feet do not interest me.

I started with my dad's 1986 2450 Ciera Sunbridge (see my profile pic). He bought me a 10 foot Zodiac with a 8 hp Envinrude and let me bomb around Clayton, NY with it.

When I graduated college, I bought a brand new Bayliner 1850 Capri LX Sport 4.3 off the showroom floor. I owned that for 5 years.

In the '00s, I owned a 1986 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sportcruiser. The current owner is a BOC member.

Two weeks ago I left the Bayliner nest and bought a custom-ordered 2018 Four Winns H210.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I am a returnee to BOC. Didn't post anything for over a year. Had to sign up again. My first boat was made by a shop in Houston. Second was a Cobia I wish that I should have never bought. Got my Bayliner in '13. It had problems which I've fixed; so I am content..My question is about the history.of Bayliner. Looked it up; found it was made by Brunkwick; and some other names. Most of the reviews were Bayliner boats were mass produced; made cheap to put on the market. In other words "Don't buy a Bayliner boat made by 5 o'clock Friday". I bought mine as a project. Being retired I could rework it for me. Boats nowadays have features and not designed. for me. Any other input you can give would be appreciated. TJ

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably best to start a seperate thread Fred, this one is a poll

Oops! Sorry; will do.

Comment

I love my 2855 but also like my SeaRay.
            cglazier - "Fiftybucks"
            1995 2855 7.4 bravo II

Comment

Originally posted by Download_Complete View Post

Two weeks ago I left the Bayliner nest and bought a custom-ordered 2018 Four Winns H210.
              Say it ain't so DC!

88 Capri 2150 305 OMC
              91 and 93 Yamaha Waverunner III 650
              Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Originally posted by montagc View Post

Say it ain't so DC!
                My boat may not say Bayliner on the side, but the BOC will always be my spiritual home.
                Matt Train
                BOC Site Team
                Chicagoland, IL

Comment

We're starting our 5th year with our very first boat, a 2000 Ciera 3055. Boating has given us such great enjoyment and opened up a whole new world of friends, spectacular scenery and wondrous adventures. I envision going much bigger (mid 40's live aboard size) when we retire and dream to take extended voyages exploring Alaska and as many areas throughout the PNW as we can.

Thanx to BOC for all the help along the way.
                  Last edited by SprinterX; 04-18-2018, 06:54 PM.
                  Sea Venture
                  2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                  Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                  DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                  MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                  Drinks well with others.

Comment

1st boat was a 1985 Bayliner 16' Capri Cuddy, followed by 1986 1950 cuddy, then 1992 2452, then 2007 285. That was our "last boat". Till last Fall. Then Admiral wanted bigger and we bought a 2008 Rinker 330 EC. Definitely learned an awful lot during those years by checking in to BOC. And certainly all the knowledge I gained helped when checking out the Rinker, including knowing to get a qualified surveyor. The 285 is being sold to our daughter and son-in-law, and I expect to continue checking out BOC just as before.

For what it's worth, since Fall, I have regularly visited the Rinker Owners Site. And, as with this site, it's filled with a bunch of friendly, helpful boaters. And there's a lot of crossover information, not brand specific. I plan to continue learning from each site.
                    2008 Rinker 330 EC
                    Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
                    2007 285 (sold)
                    350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

We have owned two SeaRay Sundancers, a Reinell 22.5, a Bayliner 3988 which we cruised the Columbia River and Puget Sound in. We then went to a Leopard 40 Catamaran that we sailed for two years in the Caribbean before selling it and returning to the US where we found our 4788 in Stuart FL. Very happy with our 4788 and the 3988 we had as well.
                      We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Comment

I started out in a 17' frontiersman canoe at age 4 doing the bowron lakes with my parents and little brother. As I got older I was given a paddle to help, then permission to take it out alone. When I joined scouts at 11 the troop had a sabot that I learned to sail on.
                        When I was 16 my step dad bought a 16' runabout that was utter junk, but I was allowed to put it behind my 71 mustang and go wherever I had the gas money to go.

At 17 my mom was in charge of the scouting region we were in, a troop had folded 10 years back and my mom was stuck with divesting the gear. Among the stuff was a 16ft fiberglass canoe that the scouts had made. No one was willing to accept the liability of giving it to another group at that point so I was given the task of cutting it up and taking it to the dump... right... lol. That became My first boat. I paddled it solo around Bowron twice and every puddle or ditch I could find it BC until my 30's when she was too far gone for my liking. A scout troop down the street had a huge halloween display, I got talking with the Skip and the convo moved to that old canoe, they took it Nov 1st and had it in top shape in the water the following Easter. Built around 1961 by a bunch of kids I'm sure it's still going.

When I graduated at 18 in 88 I started dreaming about owning a cabin cruiser. I fell in love with the Bayliners at the boat show but my ability to save was non existent (still is). So I got it in my head I was going to build a wooden boat. I still own the plans for a 26 and 36'. A 19' mahogany fell into my lap for the cost of retrieval. Built in the 50s repowered with twin Evinrude outboards in 69 she was in tough shape. I stripped and restored her over 2 years and took it all around the Gulf islands. A baby on the way and an offer that was about 20% too much meant I was down to just the canoe again.

At 25 my Mom and step dad were splitting up and I ended up with his 86 16.5 foot runabout. Much nicer than his turd when I was a kid but It had been stolen and recovered while they had it. Poor maint and bad fuel by the thief (he used it to steal from other boats up and down Van Island) and the outboard had a cracked cylinder sleeve. I swore then that I'd never own another outboard. After a year of trying to make it run I got it looked at by a professional. Looked for a motor in my budget for 2 years before selling it for the trailer.

At 28 my dad and I bought a 26' Fiberform cabin cruiser, semi displacement. She could sleep 6-8 which was enough for my family and Dad and his wife. We ran that together while flying around the country building mines and sawmills. At my 40th birthday party we realized neither of us had been home long enough to get it in the water for the last 3 years due to size, we sold it with the intention of each getting something smaller. Dad got a 12' aluminum car top, I got a new motor in my race car... oops.

At 43 I bought a pair of 18' ocean Kayaks. I put 150 miles under the keel the first year I had them. A bit long, but I built a rack for the top of my 5th wheel that I took to job sites. I'd go paddling every night after work when I was out of town.

At 44 my life turned upside down. Depression got the best of me, I lost my house, my girl, my job, and damn near my life. On the water was the only happy place I had left. My uncle has hauled scrap cars my whole life and I turned to him for a source of untraceable income to keep my head above water. One of the salvage jobs I did was a 17' Glastron. I was back under power, tinder and a boat were a magic combination. I poured my soul into that boat. Between it and the Yaks I healed myself better than any doc was able to do. I got into an online video game venture with a couple partners. Many late nights on Skype between England, BC and Ontario were had solving problems, and I was back contracting as a millwright during the day. On the water all weekend. Life was ok.

Then in 2015/16 3 things happened in close succession. Last fireworks of the summer in English Bay I blew the rings out of the boat, that winter I became very close with my online business partner in Ontario, that May I wrapped up the contract I was on and had no immediate prospects in BC. I threw caution to the wind, tossed my tools in the front of my truck, hitched my 5th behind them, yaks on the roof and headed east. By August I knew it was going to be a semi permanent move (BC will always be home). Christmas 2016 I flew back and put everything I owned in a pair of 20' seacans and shipped them to Ontario. My Racecar hauler and boat didn't fit. Boat went to my dad, trailer went to storage till spring. I went back in the spring to get the boat and trailer but by the time I had the last of my "Just a little shop stuff" loaded on the trailer the boat didn't fit and my dad wanted it. So I drove back east still boatless. Apparently I sulked all winter and wouldn't stop watching boat vids on youtube.

3 weeks ago my dad calls and tells me he has to get rid of the boat, do I want it. Well, yes, obviously. A long talk with the Admeral and a calculator and it just didn't add up. The cost of transport for just the boat added up to way more than the boat was worth, and sentiment didn't make up the differance. Seeing how visibly crushed I was the finance department gave me permission to look for a boat in the fall when prices dropped and I had the last of the moving bill paid off. I of course immediately started checking kijijijij "Just to keep track of the market".

3 hours north of me was a small Bayliner, free, with trailer, must take immediately. Having hauled scrap and bought storage lockers I knew that was code for I'm behind on my storage fees and need it gone.
                        I clicked on the link and saw that boat I'd fallen in love with back in 88. The rose coloured mist over my eyes obscured a few details I should have paid a little attention to. There was no pics of the boat in storage, only in front of his old house. The trailer wasn't big enough for the boat. And the pics clearly showed a 4cyl but the add said 3.0 V6. Some fudging of the truth to the Admiral (I love that term) about boat weights and towing capacities of her car, I tossed a spare plate in the back and we were off. We got to it an hour before sunset. The tarp that had been covering it was shredded, there was 8 inches of water in the forward cabin. There was tune up stuff all over the engine bay, and a spare fuel line from the pump to a jerry can. But the key was in it so I gave it a quick crank. She spun hard with lots of compression. A boat that holds water, shouldn't leak water. Trailer was short, but serviceable. Hull was solid, no soft spots I could find...
                        I took it.
                        An interesting ride home with no trailer brakes, and a Hyundai bareley rated for the dry boat with brakes. Years of towtrucks I just stayed on 60kmh roads and was extremely cautious of my stopping distance. Honestly, I had zero issues towing it home. Got into bed at 3am, alarm went off at 4:30am. I got up as a boat owner once again.

That night after work I settled in to getting her clean and dry, 90 min sleep before a 12 hour shift doesn't make a good troubleshooter, the motor had to wait. I shop vacuumed out 10 gallons from the cabin. I then noticed a bilge pump under the step, a few min kneeling in water playing with wires and I had a steady stream of water out the side of the boat. Filled 3 garbage bags with crap, a rubbermaid tote with good stuff and carefully took out the overflowing portapotty. Rigged a fan in the forward hatch for the night and went to bed. Second day I hooked up the ears, turned on the hose, a squirt of gas down her throat and hit the key. She ran... not well, but she ran. Lots of cleaning in the engine bay and more diagnostics and I had water in the fuel and in the oil. Fuel can wait but oil is immediate. Off to crappy tire and bought 3 jugs of 10-40 and 3 filters. I changed the oil and then got it to run till she was warm on the jerry can and occasional squirts down the carb. Changed the oil and filter a second time and then cleaned hell out of the carb. Last sunday after work we loaded the boat and made mother's day reservations at the marina restaurant. After 5 min on the water I had no power... like less than 5 hp. I got it back to the dock and loaded onto the trailer, then went for dinner.
                        Once home I lifted the hatch and found water.... lots of it. What I know. The exhaust manifold leaks water from the underside somewhere, My oil is full of water again. I have no problem pulling and rebuilding a chevy 4cyl, but it's marine variant might be an issue for parts. I just hope the block and head are ok. Oh, and I need to figure out how to get 30-40 gallons of gas/water mix out of my tank, and then clean it.

Wow... never really thought of my life story from a boat perspective before. Was a cool trip down memory lane for me if nothing else.

Tl -Dr I'm 48 in Ontario Canada, and I've owned many boats since I was 4, Currently own an 89 2155 Ciera with "issues" lol.

Comment

And how does one vote?
                          Jeff & Tara
                          (And Ginger too)
                          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                          "GetAway"
                          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                            And how does one vote?
                            I think the voting part expired and automatically closed down.

I really apreciate everybodies input here.

Big picture wise I am/was trying to determine the type of boaters that come here, and how to make the forum cater to their needs.

KEVIN SANDERS
                            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Started with a new 19' 1989 Mirrocraft bowrider. Used it off the Pacific coast and inland lakes. Then in 2003 we bought the Bayliner 245 and used it off the Pacific coast until I retired and now have it on lakes in Tennessee. I also bought new the 2006 175 to use on lakes in California but sold that a few years ago and moved to a 21' Sedona Pontoon which is much better for our use on lakes.
                              2003 Bayliner 245
                              2007 Sedona F21

Comment

Working...
                              X