BOC MEMBER BOAT TYPE OWNERSHIP POLL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOC MEMBER BOAT TYPE OWNERSHIP POLL

The Bayliner Owners Club is here for you, the member. In keeping with that ideal I would like to gather some data on the types of boats the BOC membership owns, or if you are in between boats, what type of boat you are looking for. This type of anonymous data is important so that we can tailor the forum to your needs.

Please choose what type of boat you own, or are contemplating owning. If you are seriously considering moving to a different type of boat than the one you have, please choose that type.

There is another very important question we are asking in the forum. That is wether you are considering other brands of boats in your future boat plans. This is extremely important because since the BOC is focused on Bayliner Boats we do not want to have you, our members “outgrow” us if you purchase another brand of boat.

You can choose a boat type and also choose wether you are considering or own other brands

Thanks VERY much for participating here at the BOC and sharing this data!
    Deckboats, Cuddy Cabin, Runabout and other boats suitable for day trips
    18.25%
    Cabin Cruisers...anything with facilities for overnight trips
    46.83%
    Large Cruisers or Motoryachts...anything 32’ and larger,
    41.27%
    I own or am considering other brands of boats besides Bayliner/Meridian
    16.67%

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

I am the first poll responder.
    We have owned Bayliner boats ranging from our first boat a 1952 cuddy to our current boat a 4788 Bayliner.
    Every one of the boats we owned fit the stage of life that we were in at the time. We loved them all!

In all probability the 4788 is our “terminal” boat. It is large enough to comfortably stay on as long as we like, and fits our cruising style.
    Moving larger would require a monetary investment that would just delay retirement, and I am not willing to trade years of work for a larger boat.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

I grew up boating. In primary school I had an 8’ pram and 3hp Evenrude in high school I had the use of our family’s Fairliner. There were a few dry years, then in ‘84 we bought our first boat for our family, a 1983 Capri Cutty Cabin. Six months and 200 hours later we bought a new 1985 2450. In ‘86 we were blessed with twins, so in ‘87 we found a 1980 2950 Encounter Sunbridge that would sleep all six of us. I repowered it in 2001 then put another 1100 hours on it when the Admiral finally gave the conditional go head on a 38. The condition was that I do something about the pitch of the ladder to make it useable for us. Prior to buying the boat, I figured that one out and in August of 16 we bought our 1988 3818. We have no desire to go larger, the Admiral has already declared a 45xx to be too big, so forget a 47. We are enjoying the 38 to no end and baring a disaster, this will be our last boat. We are well into retirement but fortunate enough to be able to do things we choose as we choose. We’ve chosen Bayliners because the configurations fit us and our needs. The last of the Meridian designs, other than the 47/49 hold no interest whatsoever for either of us, and she who must be obeyed has already made her point on them. She wasn’t even all that interested in the 39 except for the stairs to the flying bridge. I’m perfectly happy with Glauben until I have to swallow the anchor, and that’s about as good as life gets.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I've owned boat(s) since I was 10 years old when I built a Percy Blatchford design plywood framed cedar and canvas kayak. Next was a plywood multi-purpose 14' from plans my buddy & I found in Popular Mechanics - we each built one of those. Then a Steve Redmond "Bluegill". Since then I've been a buyer, not a builder. First was some nameless 14' FBG runabout with a 60 HP Johnson and then an 18' FBG inboard "Swiftsure". When the kids outgrew that one we bought a Response LX. From there we moved to our 43 Defever which many wise people told us we would never be able to handle because it was "too big". We had a lot of fun with the Defever, including two trips to SE Alaska and many trips to Desolation and the Broughtons but eventually it was time to downsize. We don't anticipate ever being boatless but not paying moorage fees was attractive so we bought a 2755 Bayliner. I wanted the biggest boat I could still trailer. Technically I could have trailered something a little bigger but the 2755 is under 102" and its a single so that was important. Obviously with that history I'm not married to Bayliner. When we were shopping for what ended up being a Defever we were strongly advised to buy something like a 4788. I never particularly regretted ignoring that advice until it came time to sell the Defever. Advertise a 4788 and everyone knows what you are selling; advertise a 43 Defever and everyone has to check Google.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

I would not mind a sprinkling of other boats on a case by case basis; such as a Bayliner owner upgrading to another brand.
          BOC should be and always be BOC, a Bayliners Owner Club!
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Currently have an 18' Larson with an outboard. In a couple weeks going to buy a used pontoon and a new key west cuddy with outboard. Bayliner simply doesn't make anything now in the small fishing/cuddy category. Plenty of other companies do in the east so probably to competive market for them.
            Esteban
            B-ham!
            Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

While our 21' cuddy cabin is the size of bowriders/deckboats, we do not consider our Bayliner 642 Overnighter only "suitable for day trips" (and neither did Bayliner apparently when they named the model). We bought her for the primary purpose of overnight trips and feel like we have more in common with the "cruiser" group than the "bowrider/deckboat" group. Sure, our boat is small and a couple more feet is always nice, but I doubt we'll ever move up in size because our creek/home dock simply can't handle larger. This is our first and last boat.
              Rick
              "Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post
                I would not mind a sprinkling of other boats on a case by case basis; such as a Bayliner owner upgrading to another brand.
                BOC should be and always be BOC, a Bayliners Owner Club!
                Of course! but possibly we could become a bit more inclusive so that members do not outgrow us.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY
                SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

boating is an evolution. Mine started with a small sailing pram. $600 boat when I was 15. A 4K boat when I was in my 20's. A 25K boat when I was in my 40's and a motoryacht in my 50's. I don't know if we are dne yet, but forums like this one help fuel the passion and the ability to make the next step. This place made a huge difference in guiding our next steps in boating. Thanks!
                  Tally and Vicki
                  "Wickus" Meridian 341
                  MMSI 338014939

Comment

leave it to an engineer-by-training to point out that the numbers sown on the right of the chart don't add up!!!
                    Retired, computer expert / executive
                    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                    bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                    bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

I went for a boat ride with a friend in the early spring of 1965. One boat ride and I was hooked. At the time I had a paper route so I started saving money. In June of 65 I had saved up about $150. I started searching the ads. I found a 1960 12' Fiberform with a 5 HP Firestone O/B and trailer. They were asking $120. My dad and I went to look at it. He gave it a passing grade and I handed over $120 and we towed the boat home. That was my first boat. I had that boat from 1965 to 1970. I went all over my local area on the Detroit River and even out into Lake Erie. I learned a lot of boat handling skills on that boat that pay off still today.

I have had 10 boats in my boating career plus 2 inflatables and I have an inflatable on order now. Of my 10 boats 5 of them were Bayliners and all of them were good boats. The 5 Bayliners were 1. 1987 2450 Ciera Sunbridge, 1995 2052 Capri Cuddy, 1996 2655 Ciera Sunbridge, 1996 2855 Ciera Sunbridge and finally my 1999 3055 Ciera Sunbridge SE. The 2855 was by far the best rough water boat I have owned to date and the 3055 the best all around boat.

I currently own a 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin. Overall it is the biggest boat I have ever owned. Like all boats it has its good and bad points but I am happy overall with the boat. This is probably my last boat but then again I thought my 3055 was my last one so who really knows.

The bottom line is, no matter what brand you have they are all boats and they get us out on our waterways hopefully having fun times. If spring ever arrives here in Michigan I may get my Carver in the water.
                      Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                      West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                      www.wrycc.com

Comment

Originally posted by MonteVista View Post
                        leave it to an engineer-by-training to point out that the numbers sown on the right of the chart don't add up!!!
                        Ah, leave it to an engineer to miss the obvious. I checked 3 items because they were the correct ones. I own more than one boat and all are not Bayliners.
                        Doug
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        3870 presently owned
                        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                          I am the first poll responder.
                          We have owned Bayliner boats ranging from our first boat a 1952 cuddy to our current boat a 4788 Bayliner.
                          Every one of the boats we owned fit the stage of life that we were in at the time. We loved them all!

In all probability the 4788 is our “terminal” boat. It is large enough to comfortably stay on as long as we like, and fits our cruising style.
                          Moving larger would require a monetary investment that would just delay retirement, and I am not willing to trade years of work for a larger boat.
                          I was under the impression that Bayliner started as a very small outboard company unrelated to what we know today. It had been in business for only a year or so. In Wa there was a group of boat dealerships known as Advance Outboard. Orin E owned Advance. He could not buy the kind of boats his customers wanted so decided to build his own. He purchased the small Bayliner factory and it became part of Advance. For a long time, years it was the Bayliner division of Advance. This was all in the early 70s or late 60s. First larger boat produced was the 26 foot Victoria in 1973. The Victoria changed a lot, in 74 and 75. My Victoria and 79 Bounty carried mfg as Bayliner division of Advance. I think all this changed when Orin E purchased Olympic boats stores when Olympic was going out of business selling Rinnell boats.
                          Started boating 1965
                          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Originally posted by mmichellich View Post

I was under the impression that Bayliner started as a very small outboard company unrelated to what we know today. It had been in business for only a year or so. In Wa there was a group of boat dealerships known as Advance Outboard. Orin E owned Advance. He could not buy the kind of boats his customers wanted so decided to build his own. He purchased the small Bayliner factory and it became part of Advance. For a long time, years it was the Bayliner division of Advance. This was all in the early 70s or late 60s. First larger boat produced was the 26 foot Victoria in 1973. The Victoria changed a lot, in 74 and 75. My Victoria and 79 Bounty carried mfg as Bayliner division of Advance. I think all this changed when Orin E purchased Olympic boats stores when Olympic was going out of business selling Rinnell boats.
                            Thanks for sharing the great history of Bayliner!

KEVIN SANDERS
                            4788 LISAS WAY
                            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by dmcb View Post

Ah, leave it to an engineer to miss the obvious. I checked 3 items because they were the correct ones. I own more than one boat and all are not Bayliners.
                              Doug
                              I figured that out but, still, someone will have to explain to me how the percentages add up to more than 100% (123.54%)!!!

Happy boating
                              Retired, computer expert / executive
                              Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                              Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                              D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                              bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
                              bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

Working...
                              X