Boat just blew up outside our marina-gctid404333

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat just blew up outside our marina-gctid404333

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708068=30105-lhaw5.jpg[/img]http://t.co/LlCTtuZn

Wow!

Comment

Looks like a fairly new cruiser.

Hope nobody got hurt.

Comment

PEORIA, Ariz. -

A 19-year-old man has been airlifted to the hospital following a boat explosion at Lake Pleasant, near Scorpion Bay Marina.

Authorities say 4 people were on board at the time of the explosion. The boat has sunk.

One patient, the 19-year-old, suffered burn injuries and is in critical condition.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

what a bummer.

Comment

Marina staff says they think they are trailer boaters, just out for the day.

Comment

It's a shame to see anyone injured.
            Jim McNeely
            New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
            Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
            Brighton, Michigan USA
            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

That makes two boat fires in the last two weeks here in arizona.just last week a 30ft cabin cruiser caught fire

at lake powell after refueling at the marina at antalope point.owner was burned and was flown to salt lake hospital

burn center. Everyone please be careful with these gas engines.this boat at lake pleasant one man was also burned

and taken to hospital.he could not swim and did not have a pfd s got burned instead

of drowning. Bob
              Arizona Bob & Sandy
              1990 3888 Bayliner
              Purchased new
              Twin 175 Hino's
              630 Hurth Trans
              Westerbeke Generator

Comment

A non-swimmer on a boat with no PFD...

Uncle Darwin says, "Come on in, the water's fine!"

Comment

if you own a boat, ffs take a swimming class if you dont know how to swim....

Comment

Sad to see this - hope everyone recovers.

Comment

I have to say, that just scares the crap out of me. I have a fume monitor and use the Mark-1 sniffer whenever I fuel or start the engines. Visual/flashlight inspection of the fuel system when boarding the boat, and while in the act of fueling. I'm thinking about adding fire suppression as well.

Comment

iceclimber wrote:
                        I have to say, that just scares the crap out of me. I have a fume monitor and use the Mark-1 sniffer whenever I fuel or start the engines. Visual/flashlight inspection of the fuel system when boarding the boat, and while in the act of fueling. I'm thinking about adding fire suppression as well.
                        Good preventative measures.

I expect you know already you shouldn't be on the boat when fueling, and you were just describing your process.

A fixed fire suppression system can be a lifesaver too. Not for the kind of explosion that started this thread, but very effective for engine room fires, and may allow you to stay on the boat when otherwise you'd be getting into the water. I came thiiiiiis close to firing it off.

Comment

This event is unfortunate and very tragic. People are sharing a lot of stories about boats exploding; not just catching on fire, but exploding. From all accounts that have been shared on this forum thus far, not a single one of the boat explosions (as I recall) involved Diesel fuel. Just saying...

Before everyone decides to attack the argument and tell me it is not economically viable or practical to equip all boats with Diesel engines, I am not suggesting that path. But if you are considering a boat purchase or a repower, think of how the safety factor of having a an engine that uses a fuel that does not explode under ambient conditions factors into the equation. It's easy to dismiss something due to cost, but it is easier to accept the cost in hindsight. I hope none of us ever needs to use hindsight.

Comment

A true explosion needs a large amount of fuel, I am assuming. So, it means an unnoticed fuel leak that has put a large amount of fuel in the bilge. Then a spark, presumably from the starter motor ignites the fuel.

This would have to be a large enough explosion to breach the fuel tank to add additional fuel to the ongoing explosion, making it a large enough event to blow people off the back deck etc.

I am no expert and am really just guessing here. A fuel leak large enough for this to take place should be easily noticed by just opening the engine hatch.

The fact this so often happens after refueling would point to old and brittle/leaking fuel fill hose?

Or am I wrong and would a small amount of fuel/fumes be able to cause something that violent?

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                              This event is unfortunate and very tragic. People are sharing a lot of stories about boats exploding; not just catching on fire, but exploding. From all accounts that have been shared on this forum thus far, not a single one of the boat explosions (as I recall) involved Diesel fuel. Just saying...

Before everyone decides to attack the argument and tell me it is not economically viable or practical to equip all boats with Diesel engines, I am not suggesting that path. But if you are considering a boat purchase or a repower, think of how the safety factor of having a an engine that uses a fuel that does not explode under ambient conditions factors into the equation. It's easy to dismiss something due to cost, but it is easier to accept the cost in hindsight. I hope none of us ever needs to use hindsight.
                              Diesel does not explode like gas vapor will, but diesel fuel and boats burn.

Comment

Working...
                              X