End of summer trip to KY and TN!!-gctid404330

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of summer trip to KY and TN!!-gctid404330

Hello all, Just planning an end of summer vacation for the family. We're planning on trailering our 2655 from Michigan down to Lake Cumberland for a few days, then heading down to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinberg area for the kids. Any good marina recommendations for marinas on Lake Cumberland? Also does anyone have any recommendations for the best lake and marina to stay at while visiting Pigeon Forge area? Douglas Lake or Knoxville on the river maybe or something better? Thanks in advance!!!!!----Tim

Lake Cumberland is a HUGE lake and very nice......However they have been working on repairing the Dam,hence they lowered the water levels drastically,laast time I drove over the dam(US127) a couple of months ago,the water levels were still down. Google lake Cumberland to get the latest info. You can always check Dale Hollow out. Sunset marina has cabins and dock space. Douglas lake over towards Piegon Forge has plenty of water in it,crossed over it last week.

Comment

cumberland is huge! jamestown marina has a hotel next to and and a really nice little shop. my son loves feeding the 3+ft carp and turtles there. lots of drunk/party boaters at this lake, be careful. oh yeah, and stay out of party cove!

it's a little pricey, but while in pigeon forge, you might have to take the kids on the alpine luge.

have a great trip.

Comment

Just a small segue..... is there crawfish in Cumberland or Dale Hollow??

I am thinking retirement areas and of course it has to have large bodies of water nearby. I was thinking Pleasant or Havasu but I think I would melt.. (sorry Carlos)
        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

plumbob98 wrote:
          Hello all, Just planning an end of summer vacation for the family. We're planning on trailering our 2655 from Michigan down to Lake Cumberland for a few days, then heading down to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinberg area for the kids. Any good marina recommendations for marinas on Lake Cumberland? Also does anyone have any recommendations for the best lake and marina to stay at while visiting Pigeon Forge area? Douglas Lake or Knoxville on the river maybe or something better? Thanks in advance!!!!!----Tim
          Tim,

Never took the boat down there but have trailered my motorcyles there a number of times. Some of the best riding in the East is in those mountains and valleys.

We stay up in the mountains in a cabin overlooking Pigeon Forge and the Smokies. Enjoy the trip!

Comment

Wow!! Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! Sounds like this is a must go trip. As far as Dale Hollow goes, I never really knew it existed 'till this thread; so I'll definitely check this out considering the lake levels of Lake Cumberland!! We're planing on staying right on the boat, so hopefully most marinas have power to run our A/C. Thanks again for the info!!!---Tim

Comment

Alaskanmutt wrote:
              Just a small segue..... is there crawfish in Cumberland or Dale Hollow??

I am thinking retirement areas and of course it has to have large bodies of water nearby. I was thinking Pleasant or Havasu but I think I would melt.. (sorry Carlos)
              Scorpion Bay Marina (Carlos' hangout) on Lake Pleasant is outstanding. Lake Pleasant is OK, if you live in PHX area and use it on weekends, but not very large. Havasu on the other hand, has no marina worth a schitt, but the lake/river is outstanding, about 65 miles from Davis Dam on the north, to Parker Dam on the south. Then you have 20 miles of river below Parker Dam, or Lakes Mohave and Mead north of Davis. I've lived here 17+ years, been boating here for almost 50 years, I still find new places, or ones that I forgot about. July and August are the nasty months, but you can wear shorts and flip-flops the other 10 months, and have a windbreaker in the winter. Many folks who live here fulltime split for the summer months, like us, June and July when Tara is off. It's only 6 hours to the coast or Lake Powell, 8 hours to Tahoe or the Delta. We'll show you around if you're ever in the area...
              Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ
              |
              Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
              2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
              2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
              2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
              2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
              And 12 others...
              In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

We have been boating on DHL for a few years now. Here is what I can tell you.

The water is the clearest it has been in years. People who have been on the lake for 20 plus years have noted this as well. I work with someone who dives and he said it is clear down to 30-35 feet. It is the cleanest lake in this area.

Water levels are good. Temps are in the mid 80's.

There are so many coves to drop a hook and relax in. From Sunset to the dam is about 50 miles if you want to take a long ride.

We keep our boat at Sunset. The people are great. The restaurant serves good food. Pleenty of dock space. They rent cabins and house boats as well. Full service with fuel and shop (hopefully not necessary).

The setting is resort like. You do not have boats up on blocks at your dock, or hulks rotting away.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Phil
                Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                1998 3055 Ciera
                (yes, a 1998)
                Previous boat: 1993 3055
                Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                Sea Doo XP
                Sea Doo GTI SE
                Life is short. Boats are cool.
                The family that plays together stays together.
                Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                X