Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydrofoil XRIII from Stingray-gctid404313

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104655780

Has anyone ever used a hydrofoil? Did you like the results? Will it even fit my lower unit? I have an alpha one.

I'd search the forums, unfortunately Google is blocked so you'll have to use vBulletin's primitive search function... but this has been discussed many times; the general consensus is they're not a wise investment. I'd ask tabman about upgrading your trim tabs to a larger size which will be a better investment IMHO.

Plenty of hydrofoils fit the alpha one, it's the most common drive out there.

Comment

I did a search and it seems the "no drill" hydrofoils tend to fall off. A lot of people said the XIII worked great, as long as it stayed on your lower unit. Kinda defeats the purpose of buying something that works good if it is just going to fall off. I might look into one of the bolt on models like the SE300 sport.

Thanks

D

Comment

Daren,

I looked at the pictures of your boat you have posted in your album here. The Trim Tabs that are on there now are 12" x 9" and are undersized for your boat (we recommend that size for a 15 - 19 foot boat).

You could install 12" x 12" Trim Tabs, or better yet 12" x 12" Trim Tabs with Drop Fins on the side, without having to move any of the holes on the transom.

Increasing the size of your Trim Tabs will make a world of difference how your boat runs and it will be much more effective than adding a hydrofoil.

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
        sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

Tabman wrote:
          Daren,

I looked at the pictures of your boat you have posted in your album here. The Trim Tabs that are on there now are 12" x 9" and are undersized for your boat (we recommend that size for a 15 - 19 foot boat).

You could install 12" x 12" Trim Tabs, or better yet 12" x 12" Trim Tabs with Drop Fins on the side, without having to move any of the holes on the transom.

Increasing the size of your Trim Tabs will make a world of difference how your boat runs and it will be much more effective than adding a hydrofoil.

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
          The man has spoken!

Can't help with sizing, but tabs are definitely a better investment than a hydrofoil.

Comment

Tabman wrote:

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
            Tabman, I looked at your site but for the life of me could not find the drop fins tabs. I have been told they would work great to help my 2452 from doing the low speed wiggle. How deep do the drop fins go?
            Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

The drop fins are 3" deep.

Do you know what size Trim Tabs are on your boat now? We have add ons that can be bolted on to Trim Tabs that are 12" chord (fore to aft)

Let me know what size your Trim Tabs are and I will be delighted to supply the part numbers for what you would need.

Tom

Bennett Marine

Comment

Tabman wrote:
                Daren,

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
                You the man!!!!!!!:worth I like your thinking. These trim tabs came with the boat and I never felt they did what they were supposed to do. Growing up we had an 27 foot catalina cruiser that was built like a tank and just as heavy. We could get the trim tabs on that boat to move our bow to the point we were shooting the stars or plowing oyster beds. I have always struggled getting any performance with these.

Thanks Tom:coo-

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Let me know what size your Trim Tabs are and I will be delighted to supply the part numbers for what you would need.

Tom

Bennett Marine[/QUOTE]

I will look when I get home.

Comment

Tom

My trim tabs are 12X8 with a 1/2 inch fins.

Comment

Daren Thomas wrote:
                      Tom

My trim tabs are 12X8 with a 1/2 inch fins.
                      Daren,

I bet they are actually 8-5/8" fore to aft x 9" side to side, that is what our 12 x 9 Trim Tabs measure, and that is what I saw in the pictures of your boat in your album.

Since you can reuse the same mounting plates that hold the Trim Tabs to the transom you can just buy new Trim Planes that are 12" x 12" with the 3" Drop Fins.

The part number for them is TPO1212DF and you would need 2 each.

If you ask your favorite dealer they should be able to give you a price.

Tom

Bennett Marine

Comment

Tabman wrote:
                        Daren,

I bet they are actually 8-5/8" fore to aft x 9" side to side, that is what our 12 x 9 Trim Tabs measure, and that is what I saw in the pictures of your boat in your album.

Since you can reuse the same mounting plates that hold the Trim Tabs to the transom you can just buy new Trim Planes that are 12" x 12" with the 3" Drop Fins.

The part number for them is TPO1212DF and you would need 2 each.

If you ask your favorite dealer they should be able to give you a price.

Tom

Bennett Marine
                        Now I need to find a favorite dealer. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Tabman wrote:
                          Daren,

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
                          Forgive me - not trying to jack the thread, but Tabman - what do the side fins on the tab accomplish? Are they a significant improvement on the flat style?

Comment

Devildog9999 wrote:
                            Forgive me - not trying to jack the thread, but Tabman - what do the side fins on the tab accomplish? Are they a significant improvement on the flat style?
                            Devildog,

The drop fins capture water pressure that normally escapes out the sides of the Trim Tabs and channels it aft to generate additional lift. When you have a smaller Trim Tab such as a 12" x 12" the drop fins can make a notable diffidence in the total lift they make. As the Trim Tabs get larger the percentage of lift the drop fins contribute is less when compared to the whole, so the effect is less pronounced.

Ideally fitting larger span (side to side measurement) Trim Tabs is the best way to improve their performance. However this means relocating the actuators (rams) and mounting plates, and or there may not be enough room on the transom for larger Trim Tabs.

Increasing the 12 x 9 Trim Tabs to 12 x 12 with drop fins will generate the most lift possible without having to move the position of the hinge plates or actuators.

Tom

Bennett Marine

Comment

I don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread but if so I may have some information for anyone with the 2452. As Tabman has said this boat is offered with 12 x 9 tabs which are undersized by bennett charts. I had a mental battle for a good part of last winter on whether to try a hydrofoil or bigger tabs. I wanted the boat to be correct so I ordered 24 x 9 tabs because bennett recommends one inch of width for every foot of boat for the 9" tabs. The boat gets out of the water MUCH quicker!! The only problem with this as I should have realized originally is the transom is convex. Bayliner manufactures these boats with a flat area for the 12" hinge but if you go with the 24" hinge you'll have to figure out a way to fill in the gap that will be left between the hinge and the back of your boat, I haven't done so yet but plan to devise something before my next outing. In summary, by all means try the 12 X 12 tabs first as just the plates will be rather inexpensive, if you need more lift I'd go to the 18 x 12 instead of the 24 x 9. I hope this has been helpful. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X