No announcement yet.

Suggestions for bow rail netting to keep dog from going over-board.-gctid404243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for bow rail netting to keep dog from going over-board.-gctid404243

We have a new family member, a West Highland Terrier (Westie) named Owen. He loves the boat, but also likes to walk the WA and go up to the bow. I want to make some type of netting to keep him from going over.

I don't think that he'll be content on the leash or just staying put in the cockpit or cabin.

We'll certainly be keeping an eye on him, but I want to be safe.

I'm thinking that a tight cable needs to run the length of the bottom, not necessarily the upper stretch.

I want something netted and nice to the eye, yet something that he can't pull loose either.

Any ideas on what to use, and how to attach?

I just looked at Sailboat safety netting...... and I see something like this.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

You could do what I do w/my crazy Labrador who always wants to jump over the sides, just keep the dog on a 6' leash while it's onboard your boat.

Comment

Run the netting down to the bumper rail. Drill through the rummer and lace it on.

Comment

Use the sailboat netting and attach the bottom to small eye pads. Install the eye pads every two to three feet. You can run a line through the eye pads and the bottom of the netting to make it all nice and neat.

The eye pads can be attached on the gunwhale with small SS self tapping screws and some silicon sealant. Any pressure applied to the netting will be from a sideways direction so you don't need through-bolting.

To keep proper tension, knot the bottom line and the bottom of the netting together every few feet. Be sure to give the netting a good stretch when you install it otherwise it will start to sag.

Comment

Rick; Look at a material called Pfifertex. It's perfect for this.
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

What about connecting the aluminum rub rail to an electric dog fence? I'd say sailboat safety net is definitely the best option, it's designed to catch bodies and it looks somewhat nautical.I'd use the Weld-Mount system with an appropriate adhesive for the bottom tension line, that way it remains completely waterproof and they're removed in the future. They also make railing fittings specifically for this, if the Bounty doesn't have welded railings.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708034=30101-883341_lg-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

All of the Bounty boats have weld bow rails, so fittings would need to be the split style for installation.

Mike, I will check out the Pfifertex.

Thanks for the tip.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

What diameter rails do you have Rick? 7/8" or 1"?

I have an idea that might suit you well.
                Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                  What diameter rails do you have Rick? 7/8" or 1"?

I have an idea that might suit you well.
                  Mike, they are 1" OD all the way around.... bow rail and aft railing.

They are also all fully welded. Is that an issue for your idea?

As for the rail fittings, they would need to be a split fitting in order for me to use something like this.

Mike, I did look up Phifertex. I was not familiar with the name. We have something similar out back to shade an Aralias tree.

For the boat rails, I think that I'm looking for more of a netting than a fabric/screen material.

I also want to use the rails and stanchions, and what ever fittings are required, and avoid making any permanent connections to the hull.

That's why I was thinking of a taught cable at the bottom area.

Anxiously awaiting your idea.

I thought about cedar fencing, but then considered the wind resistance!
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Think velcro...

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708117=30110-1000357_1.jpg[/img]if you hang it from the handle, slightly off of the deck, your pet will be quite secure.I use these for fish all the time - and they want back in the water too!

Comment

telebob wrote:
                        Think velcro...
                        Good idea. Velcro may work on his fur also!
                        PugetMike wrote:

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]if you hang it from the handle, slightly off of the deck, your pet will be quite secure.I use these for fish all the time - and they want back in the water too!
                        Man, he's just the right size for that net too!
                        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Tell him no then if he doesn't stop show him the lightening

Comment

Congrats on the new acquisition!

I guess there is an advantage to having a smaller boat--the sides are only about 3" wide and barely a suitable route for a human to walk down on our 2450, much less a 4-footed human (our dog thinks she's a human).

I'd be hard-pressed to want to drill holes into the fiberglass for any mounts. I'd probably want to drill into the stainless railing only (even though it can be a pain to drill) and run the vinyl-coated cable/wire along the bottom edge to form the lower edge of the netting. If the cable looks awkward because it can only form a straight line, or just doesn't "form" correctly between the stainless mounts, perhaps you could pre-bend a strip of stainless bar/rod and use that as as the bottom.

Is the dog a jumper? Because even if you go through the extent of netting off the bow railing, the pooch can still go up and over. Luckily or unluckily, our dog is scared of the engine, so she stays in the cabin. And the netting could perhaps become a pain for rode/line/fenders?

Comment

Rather than drilling holes in the boat im thinking of using something more like this. They could be used liberally. Can be removed and won't rust. They are adhesive backed and you just stick them on where you want them

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/708173=30123-WgrpABM-A-B.jpg[/img]Here is the linkhttp://www.cabletieguys.com/panduit-cable-ties.htmThe entire net could be installed easily with wire ties cheaply and be removed easily.
                              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                              twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X