Anchor Rode - 8 Plait Nylon vs 3 Strand Nylon-gctid404212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor Rode - 8 Plait Nylon vs 3 Strand Nylon-gctid404212

I am overdue to replace the anchor rode on my boat. I am looking at a nice lewmar combo that features 8 plait nylon vs 3 strand nylon. The listing, or course, extolls the virtues of the 8 plait. Has anyone had experience with these two? I'm looking for some real world feedback.

Thanks!

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ut&part=218353

I'm interested in this also.

During the first several seasons of my new 3 strand it worked well. Not so lately.

I swapped the lead end for the bitter end just a few weeks ago, seems better, but I'm interested in the 8 plait.

I'll stay tuned to this thread.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

3 strand nylon is notorious for knotting itself when lying limp,pretty well anything would be better .

Comment

8 is certainly more pliable and as mentioned, less subject to balling up. You can add more rode to the locker because it lays down better. Just make sure your windlass can handle the size of the new plait...
        Doug ;}
        MMSI: 338068776
        "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I think the 8 strand is worth the extra money. I have 8 strand rode and 3 strand dock lines. The rode is over 20 years old and is as pliable as the day it was bought. The dock lines are only a few years old and are stiff and hard to work. If you use your anchor locker with either a deck pipe or windlass the 8 strand is the only way to go. It dosn't knot or ball up in the locker. It also lays on the bottom of the locker taking up a third or less of the space of 3 strand. This is important when using a windlass with a shallow rode locker as most of are crusiers have.
          John Rupp
          1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
          5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
          Starshine
          Hino 135

Comment

Almost $500!!! Wow!

Comment

I've tried both with our windlass. Lewmar 700 profish.

The 3 strand seems to have better fit in the gypsy or it bites better than 8 strand. Didn't have issues with binding, but I didn't keep the 3 strand very long. Switched to all chain after a few weeks.

Comment

I switched from 3 strand to 8 plait about 2 yrs ago. I wanted more rode and it was the only way to fit it.

I bought just the rode and spliced it myself to the existing 15' chain.

It works great, lays beautifully and never knots.

That said, I do have a couple of "shoulda's"

Should have bought a longer chain, maybe 30' or so

Should have either bought the two already spliced or brought it to somewhere to be spliced. I did it, but it was a real challange.

I may still add more chain in the future and at that point I will look into having it done.

You guys with the stiff one's (rode) might try washing it. :hammer

Just soak it in a pail with laundry or dish soap for a few days. It really works I just needed more.:coo-

Something else that I just found out is my windlass manufacturer. Simpson Lawrence ( now Lewmar) does not recommend using 8 plait for some unknown reason.

I have the Sprint 600 and after 2 years its still works fine and the rode is not showing any real wear.

This is where I bought mine, and at the time they had the best prices.

http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchan...gging_hardware

Comment

We switched to 8-plait about 3 (maybe 4) years ago because the 3-strand just wouldn't get picked up by our Lewmar Concept windlass. I constantly had to stand at the bow switches and carefully "help" the 3-strand through into the standpipe. The 8-plait has been great to work with, is picked up and stripped by the windlass almost all the time (help if you spray it the dry bit down before recovery), and lays in the anchor locker wonderfully. I got an extra 50' of line in there with the 8-plait and have room for another 50' or possibly 100'. I got mine rigged from Defender and all they had (at the time) was 20' of chain w/200' of line. I'd like to add another 10' or 20' of chain to help with setting and holding.

Comment

Just ordered mine - I think that it is a pretty good deal - we'll see!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1413

Comment

That is the same company I purchased a 200', 1/2" 8 plait / 30' , 1/4" chain from, it is good quality.

I had a similar only opposite issue. I wanted to get more rode into my locker so I bought the 8 plait and while it is true that it stows much better, I had an issue with it snagging and wadding in the windlass.

I went back to a 3 strand and in my particular case, it works much better.

Also, as mentioned, if your rode is stiff soak it in a tub of water with fabric softener. Not only will it make it limp it gives it a nice April fresh scent.
                      " WET EVER "
                      1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                      mmsi 338108404
                      mmsi 338124956
                      "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

One fact that hasn't been mentioned is that three-strand has more stretch than braid.

This is important in anchoring because it reduces shock loading. There was an interesting debate here a while back on different ways to rig up snubbers to reduce shock loading. Compared to braid, three-strand is like having a really good snubber.

The sudden pull from a wave or gust of wind can dislodge the anchor. Having some stretch in the rode lessens this. It's the same reason you want to put out as much scope as you can, to keep the pull on the anchor horizontal.

Comment

What he said above ^^^^^^^^^

Same for a towing line to assist another vessel. You want stretch

Same with dock lines.

I know the 8 ply and double braid look tough, but for the average boater, 3 strand is best.

now, that said. There are vastly different quality lines. the cheal stuff will knot, delaminate, etc. Good 3 strand, well, I have lines aboard that are 15 years old and still ticking.
                          Captharv 2001 2452
                          "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

captharv wrote:
                            What he said above ^^^^^^^^^

Same for a towing line to assist another vessel. You want stretch

Same with dock lines.

I know the 8 ply and double braid look tough, but for the average boater, 3 strand is best.

now, that said. There are vastly different quality lines. the cheal stuff will knot, delaminate, etc. Good 3 strand, well, I have lines aboard that are 15 years old and still ticking.
                            And I'll bet there was a time you insisted sisal was better than nylon...

For anyone wising to use a combination of chain and nylon rode, brait (8-plait) is far superior to 3-strand. It has a softer hand and drape and hence falls better into an anchor locker. The chain's catenary provides shock absorption, and the brait does offer considerable stretch - it is not an aramid fibre.

Brait has 2 drawbacks; it costs more and it is harder to splice. If those aren't issues for you, it is superior.

By the way, what does this "average boater" look like?

Comment

I switched from 3 ply to 8 plait last year & I've had one summer on it. I changed because the 3 ply wouldn't lie flat enough in the locker to give sufficient fall for the chain. Same length of 8 plait has a substantially smaller profile in the locker.

I have had 1 instance of 'wadding' up & jamming inside the locker - which was a surprise caught with an anchor half down & drifting through a tight anchorage. Question is - better to run down & knock the pile of chain over - or struggle with a wadded up 8 plait as above? I'll be looking hard at it this coming summer - given that it was a fresh installation - it may have had a twist in it. I dropped the whole lot down onto the bottom & brought it in again & no problems since.

I've always used the basic rule for chain to be at least the length of the boat & I add a little. Currently I have 12m for my 3288.

I always get the boat shop to do the splicing. I get the chain re-galvanised regularly & then re-spliced. Cost is mimimal.

Depths ( 8 - 12 ft ) where I anchor - I can always lay out the chain & then rope to the waterline. Have the whole weight of the chain in the water. No need for a chain counter, I know exactly when 12m is out.

You are right that the chain in catenary is supposed to be the shock absorber. Never had anyone out here suggest that stretch in the line would be a good thing - quite the opposite effect I would think - like releasing a rubber band. I'd hate that kind of movement in a strong wind. Basically there should be little or no actual pull on the anchor. the rode in catenary is supposed to prevent that happening.
                              Bay Seeker
                              1994 3288

Comment

Working...
                              X