Bayliner 245-gctid348607

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 245-gctid348607

Saw a Bayliner 245 at the boat show this past weekend and was quite surprised at the room it has. Anyone have any experience with these? I did a quick search and it appears the 245 has been around a while, some of the models carry the "Cierra" name...not sure what Cierra denotes

The new 254 is basically the older 2355, I had one before stepping up to the 285. I enjoyed the boat very much; however, the boat design with a 16 degree deadrise and light weight does not like choppy water very much.

I would suggest that you think of stepping up to the 255 with an 18 degree deadrise.

Comment

3251 wrote:
      The new 254 is basically the older 2355, I had one before stepping up to the 285. I enjoyed the boat very much; however, the boat design with a 16 degree deadrise and light weight does not like choppy water very much.

I would suggest that you think of stepping up to the 255 with an 18 degree deadrise.
      +1 for the 2355 she was a pounder.

Comment

We moved up from a Maxum 20 footer to a 2005 Bayliner 245. For us it was a great boat. It's a good cruiser for a couple or a couple with smaller children. We took our 245 a lot of places around the Puget Sound.

We sold her a couple years ago and moved up to a Bayliner 340, which we also love, but I do miss that 245.

Comment

Never would have thought about the deadrise situation! That's something I have never known to look at.

Thanks!

Comment

We have a 2010 245 SB. The boat is perfect for the wife and I. We spend most weekends on it during the summertime. Other than a few water leaking issues, we have been quite pleased with it. Have done a few mods to suit our needs.

Comment

Tom, how does the 5.0 do for you? I know everyone always says to get the bigger engine...Do you have a generator on there? I did not get to look into the engine compartment at the show so I don't know if there is room for one or not.

Comment

not sure what Cierra denotes
                Ciera means cruiser. The entire line has a lot of similarities. I had a 2455 which is identical to the 245, just older. Almost nothing changed. It was a fantastic boat that we put a lot of time on and took a lot of places, including ocean trips. Only sold it to go up to the Ciera 3055.

I would say an absolute MUST have in this boat is a Bravo 3 drive. I drove one with the Alpha drive and it was awful. I don't know what motor options are available, but we had a 250 HP and it was fine unless we had a lot of people on board.

Of all the boats we looked at when we were shopping (at least 30), the 2455 had the best use of space and most thoughtful layout and accessories.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                  Ciera means cruiser. The entire line has a lot of similarities. I had a 2455 which is identical to the 245, just older. Almost nothing changed. It was a fantastic boat that we put a lot of time on and took a lot of places, including ocean trips. Only sold it to go up to the Ciera 3055.

I would say an absolute MUST have in this boat is a Bravo 3 drive. I drove one with the Alpha drive and it was awful. I don't know what motor options are available, but we had a 250 HP and it was fine unless we had a lot of people on board.

Of all the boats we looked at when we were shopping (at least 30), the 2455 had the best use of space and most thoughtful layout and accessories.
                  This is probably a stupid question but can you switch out a Alpha one for a Bravo 3. That is the two prop system?

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                    This is probably a stupid question but can you switch out a Alpha one for a Bravo 3. That is the two prop system?
                    Yes you can but you need to also change out the engine transmission to a Bravo. Then you can use any Bravo set up.
                    Doug ;}
                    MMSI: 338068776
                    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

It's not a practical swap at all. The entire transom shield and gimbal housing has to be replaced. I believe the engine has to come out, though I'm not sure. Even a used B3 is going to be several thousand dollars.

And yes, that's the dual concentric prop system. On a cruiser with a single engine it makes a HUGE difference in overall performance. Handles better around the docks, particularly backing, accelerates better, has better top speed, and gets better fuel economy.

Comment

pat8839 wrote:
                        Tom, how does the 5.0 do for you? I know everyone always says to get the bigger engine...Do you have a generator on there? I did not get to look into the engine compartment at the show so I don't know if there is room for one or not.
                        We have the 5.0 MPI w/265hp. It does have the Alpha 1 drive. It is awesome with us two. Add 2 more adults and you can notice a difference on time getting up on plane. Now at one time last summer we had 4 adults and 3 children. It was awful. Had to move a couple of the adults forward until we got on plane. It seemed to take forever to get going. BUT, 90% of the time it is just me and my wife so we enjoy the setup we have. We do pack a lot of gear (food, drinks, ice) on board because we do stay overnight from Friday to Sunday.

No, we do not have a generator. A future plan would be to get a portable Honda.

Comment

Is there space in the engine compartment for a generator? When it comes time that I am allowed to get a cruiser the admiral will require air conditioning so I will need that genny in there...

For those of you "in the know" what is it about the Bravo III that gives it the control? I have seen them on boats before with the 2 props but I don't understand how they work. I interpret the information I have read that the Bravo III seems to give more torque and seems to be overall better performance as if there was a bigger engine.

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
                            Yes you can but you need to also change out the engine transmission to a Bravo. Then you can use any Bravo set up.
                            And cut a bigger hole in the transom.

Bravo II and Bravo III are interchangeable though, not considering gear ratios of course.

Comment

pat8839 wrote:
                              Is there space in the engine compartment for a generator? When it comes time that I am allowed to get a cruiser the admiral will require air conditioning so I will need that genny in there...

For those of you "in the know" what is it about the Bravo III that gives it the control? I have seen them on boats before with the 2 props but I don't understand how they work. I interpret the information I have read that the Bravo III seems to give more torque and seems to be overall better performance as if there was a bigger engine.
                              I cant say exactly for the 245, but in my 2355 (very similar) there was absolutly 0 space for a generator. It was hard enough working on basic components as is.

Bravo III is 2 props back to back counter rotating each other. I dont know the exact physics of how/why its more effective off the top of my head but it works I have not had a bravo III personally just bravo 2's in my 2355 and my 3055. I never had issues in my 2355 getting on plane, never needed tabs, etc. Most of that was because of my drive, it does make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X