Marine Radio-gctid404052

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine Radio-gctid404052

What channel is everyone listening to, I usually am on Lake Simcoe here in Ontario and was just wondering if anyone was out there listening on any particular channel.

the main channel here in the States is 16... but when you hail someone you need to go to a different channel that isnt an emergency Coast Guard one and tell them to go up or down to that special one you want. Your area should have a list of certain ones in Canada that hail on that arent emergency response

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:
      the main channel here in the States is 16... but when you hail someone you need to go to a different channel that isnt an emergency Coast Guard one and tell them to go up or down to that special one you want. Your area should have a list of certain ones in Canada that hail on that arent emergency response
      16 is the call channel...6, 68, 69, 71 some of the working channels

You should get your license as it could cost you if you don't.

Unfortunately the government, in a very stupid moment, handed over licensing to a social club (power squadron), to administer, so you have to pay them to get it.

They will pressure the hell out of you to join but personally, I suggest you stick to joining boating clubs.

Comment

I monitor Channel 16 on Lake Simcoe. Spend most of my time on Kempenfelt Bay as I am out of the Barrie Marina but we do make runs up to Orillia and down to Cook's Bay as well. Where abouts on Simcoe are you?

Comment

I heard about this license thing several times now. I just went to the FCC website:

"You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft."

What gives?

Comment

trophyboat wrote:
            I heard about this license thing several times now. I just went to the FCC website:

"You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft."

What gives?
            For one thing he is Canadian so FCC is not applicable. Here is the link to Transport Canada If he does not travel in international waters he does not need one. We Canucks here on the Left Coast do.

And you Crescent Beach Boys don't forget to check back in when you cross the straight :kidding

Cheers

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...qs-1489.htm#01
            John McLellan White Rock BC
            "Halifax Jack"
            1999 2855 383 stroker BII
            MMSI 316004337

Comment

trophyboat wrote:

What gives?
              That is in the US. In Canada you need an operator's license and if you leave the country a station license.

Comment

Sorry I didn't know there was internet in Canada...

Comment

trophyboat wrote:

And coming in 2015

Flush toilets
                  John McLellan White Rock BC
                  "Halifax Jack"
                  1999 2855 383 stroker BII
                  MMSI 316004337

Comment

hfxjack wrote:
                    And coming in 2015

Flush toilets
                    Good news indeed. Once verified I may return!:kidding

Comment

hfxjack wrote:
                      And coming in 2015

Flush toilets
                      It seems apparent we need them around here.....

Comment

trophyboat wrote:

Why am I not surprised?

Comment

Working...
                        X