Bennett trim tabs-gctid403983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bennett trim tabs-gctid403983

I have a 1985 - 38 ft Bayliner with Bennett trib tab....just bought the boat. I was poking around today and noticed that the motor has what appears to be a reservoir under it and it is empty. How do I fill it?

I noticed the reservoir for the steering is on the add mark.......same question......it does not have an obvious fill cap or valve.......thank you

Ben

The trim tab motor, the dip stick should have fluid that just touches the end of that dip stick when the tabs are full up.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Should the reservoir be empty

Comment

Ben,

The reservoir should not be empty. So once you fill it check for leaks and let me know what you find. Note that the filler cap is not a dipstick and the fluid should not be that high.

Use any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Don't worry about the exact brand or type - it will all work, and can even be mixed. To add fluid, remove the Lexan cover on the HPU, locate the "filler stack" in the left front corner of the reservoir. There is a round plug sealing the filler stack. Remove the plug and add fluid to the full line on the reservoir. Note: Add fluid only with the trim tabs fully retracted (up). If your reservoir does not have a full line, add fluid so the fluid level is about 1 inch below the top of the reservoir with the trim tabs fully retracted (up).

Let me know what you find,

Tom McGow

Bennett Marine
        sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

where did you get that top for the transmission fluid . that the hardest part geeting the oil in that little hole.

Comment

fair_hair_boater wrote:
            where did you get that top for the transmission fluid . that the hardest part geeting the oil in that little hole.
            I got a top like that one to fill my reservoir from a used gear oil quart that was in my garage. Just cleaned it up and poof, I have a custom filler cap for my trim tabs.

Comment

Daren Thomas wrote:
              I got a top like that one to fill my reservoir from a used gear oil quart that was in my garage. Just cleaned it up and poof, I have a custom filler cap for my trim tabs.
              If any of you guys want one of those filler caps, just send me a message with your name and address and I will be delighted to mail one to you, no charge.

Tom

Bennett Marine
              sigpic"Like" Bennett Marine on Facebook

Comment

Thank you for your help Tom......I really appreciated it.

I will take you up on your offer for that filler cap.......that was the most difficult part of it all.....filling the tank because of the position of where it is located

[email protected]

I will send u my address

Ben

Comment

I didn't have a filler cap when I needed to add fluid to mine. The unit was very close to the top of the engine room and there wasn't any room to pour from the bottle. For some odd reason I had a three foot long piece of 1/4 copper tubing on the boat, so I duct taped it to the end of a funnel that I made out of a beer can. Then I bent the tubing to conform to the available room and filled the reservoir.

The only thing missing to make this a truly redneck tool was some bailing twine........ Since then, I have taken a few strands down to the boat.

Comment

Working...
                  X