Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 cylinder humming-gctid403759

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    4 cylinder humming-gctid403759

    I know it would be fun to have more power. But I am getting great mileage at 20 mph.

    This video is 4200 rpm which is cruising for this engine at 20 mph.

    This is for everyone that says the small Volvo is so underpowered for my fairly heavy boat. Notice we jumped some pretty good waves.



    #2
    When my repower is complete, I'll race you side by side...and we'll see who's 4 cylinder rocks! :kidding

    Comment


      #3
      Pink slips?

      Comment


        #4
        Normally, I'd say yes. But by the time you return to the ramp to pick up the pink slip, you'd be out of fuel. I wouldn't want to leave you stuck on the water with an empty tank. Just looking out for your safety...

        Comment


          #5
          trophyboat wrote:
          I know it would be fun to have more power. But I am getting great mileage at 20 mph.

          This video is 4200 rpm which is cruising for this engine at 20 mph.

          This is for everyone that says the small Volvo is so underpowered for my fairly heavy boat. Notice we jumped some pretty good waves.eo]
          I agree. I finally got my trophy on the water for the first time today and with a WOT of 4600 I was 29 mph GPS. Throttled back to 4100 rpm and was cruising at 23 mph. Also, It was only me @230 lbs, a 1/2 tank of gas (30 Gal) and no water, but still. Listening to what everyone one else was saying I was expecting to need a push to get up on plane! Also I have a prop installed that could use a rework so all in all...woohoo!nthego:

          Comment


            #6
            trophyboat wrote:
            I know it would be fun to have more power. But I am getting great mileage at 20 mph.

            This video is 4200 rpm which is cruising for this engine at 20 mph.

            This is for everyone that says the small Volvo is so underpowered for my fairly heavy boat. Notice we jumped some pretty good waves.

            +1 for this

            I get 25 mph at 4200 rpm in my boat. Avg consumption is around 4-5 gph which gets me 3.7 mpg. Not a power house, but atleast it's affordable to get out on the water every weekend

            Comment


              #7
              To all of my little rubber band OHC 4 banger friends........... :coo-

              Keep the rubber band up to snuff, and they'll go for a very long time.

              .
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

              Comment


                #8
                You guys' top speed is a little better than mine. I am able to hit 26mph with just me in the boat but it was hitting 5000 rpm. It might be the hardtop. I am thinking of trying the 4 bladed Solas. It should stay on plane better at lower speeds. And might help when I have to slow down in heavy water.

                I have the stock 15x17 but I think I had it reworked by some prop guru years ago. So it's not stock any more.

                I am thinking of the 14 3/4 x 15, 4 blade. But need some money first.

                Comment


                  #9
                  trophyboat wrote:
                  No speed demon, but will cruise at 20 mph all day on fumes.
                  Where are you able to buy fumes only, and how much per fume?

                  I may consider the conversion!

                  .
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                  Comment


                    #10
                    You get a lot of fumes per gallon.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      2850Bounty wrote:
                      Where are you able to buy fumes only, and how much per fume? I may consider the conversion!.
                      This guy did the conversion and look what happened:

                      http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]Nope, they are not Diesel fumes.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yes you need to be careful to keep the fumes in the carb, not in the bilge...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          trophyboat wrote:
                          You guys' top speed is a little better than mine. I am able to hit 26mph with just me in the boat but it was hitting 5000 rpm. It might be the hardtop. I am thinking of trying the 4 bladed Solas. It should stay on plane better at lower speeds. And might help when I have to slow down in heavy water.

                          I have the stock 15x17 but I think I had it reworked by some prop guru years ago. So it's not stock any more.

                          I am thinking of the 14 3/4 x 15, 4 blade. But need some money first.
                          I just noticed you have a VP setup for your 1986. I don't remember the history, was that just before Bayliner switched to the Cobra's or is yours a repower?

                          According to the 1988 Cobra factory manual the 3.0L WOT is 4200-4600 rpm. The 2.3L spins faster, I believe it is 5200-5600 RPM.

                          I had hit 4600 rpm with the drive trimmed all the way down, as I trimmed up the rpm's started to head towards 5000 rpm and the rubberband sounded a little tight so I trimmed back down.

                          I'm actually glad to hear this setup cruises at over 4000 rpm. At first I was thinking that little motor was working awfully hard. My AQ260 when it's running correctly cruises at around 3400-3600 rpm as I recall.

                          By the way, mine is a hardtop as well. I have pictures posted in an album. Just click on my name at the top.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            In '86 I had the choice of OMC or VP. The latter had fresh water cooling and the OMC didn't get great reviews at the time. I have no trim though.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Not even trim tabs? I have both the OMC cobra trim and a set of boat levelers. My Cobra seems to be OK but as long as I had trim tabs I think I would prefer a VP setup, if for nothing else to get rid of that hokey shift setup.

                              During my shakedown cruise I discovered my port trim tab was leaking where the hose attaches to the tab. So today I tried to cut back the hose a little and re-attach but the hose just kept disintegrating so off to the store for some boat leveler hose, get back, install, refill reservoir, test and the right side starts leaking in the same place, so back to the store in the morning for 5 more feet of hose. I guess I should have known even though the other hose looked good not to do just half the job.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X