My Weekend Rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Weekend Rant

Whenever possible I try to buy locally, to the point that on some items I will often pay a little more to purchase parts at the chandlers in our own marina as I want them to remain in business there in the future, and of course it's convenient.

Occasionally, you come across something to make your blood boil, which in this case was 150 feet of vinyl window sealing strip.

I called for price and availability from M&P Mercury in Vancouver (Dealer for SeaRay, Bayliner, Meridian, Boston Whaler, Hatteras + others) and Lake Union SeaRay. Here are the comparisons:

M&P Mercury $3.53 per foot + $45.00 shipping from Bayliner to their Vancouver store: $574.50 + $68.94 taxes = Total $643.44CAD with an estimated 21 day delivery.
    Lake Union SeaRay $1.92 per foot + $38.00 shipping from Bayliner to their Bellingham store: $326.00 + $29.13 taxes = Total $355.13 CAD with an estimated 5 day delivery.

(All prices in Canadian Dollars)

Naturally with Bellingham being only 44 miles from home, I purchased the sealing strip there. My astonishment is the price difference of $288.31 between two Bayliner dealers for the same Bayliner part number. Some of the price difference is the difference between Canadian and US taxes, but as I was below my daily purchase threshold, no additional Canadian taxes were applicable. Delivery was actually 4 days from the day of order.

Disappointingly, that's what I call gouging!

Lesson learned - Rant over.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

There is little that is available cheaper in Canada. I would say 95% of everything I improved/changed/modified on my previous Avanti including the engines all came from the states. Same story with the Carver. Oh, I think I bought some fender covers on Amazon.ca for cheaper here than in the states but that was one of those rare exceptions. LOL.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

This is a huge peeve of mine too. I actively try to support the local guys but no good deed ever goes unpunished. My most recent lesson was the local small boat repair shop, run by a likeable enough young kid in the town 20 miles east of us. I'm doing a moderately major makeover on our new-to-us 2755. It needed a carb and I wanted to change the plugs, cap and rotor - its not actually a rotor but whatever its called, I wanted to replace it. I checked around online, got all the part numbers and then went in to see the kid. He was delighted to help and assured me he could get the parts. His pricing was going to cost me maybe 20% over what I could do online but I can live with that. It was Friday when we talked - he didn't have any of the items I wanted which should have been a red flag but he said he could have the plugs in "a couple of days", the cap/rotor shortly afterward and the carb was going to take "about a month". 2 weeks later I had heard nothing so I called and got some BS about the electrical stuff coming shortly. A week later I still had heard nothing so I phoned the next town, confirmed that they had the plugs, went into town and picked them up. Then on the way home I stopped to see the kid. At that point I was still prepared to wait for the carb but I wasn't prepared to wait forever and I made that clear to him. I told him I needed an absolute drop dead date beyond which I simply wouldn't take the parts. In retrospect I don't think he had ordered anything. He kept telling me the carb would take "about a month" but when I pointed out that the plugs which were supposed to take 3 or 4 days still hadn't arrived he didn't have an answer. He clearly thought I should just wait and take whatever he could get whenever he could get it so I went home, phoned I5 in California and had my carb a week later. The cap and rotor came about the same time from Amazon. In the end it saved me money and I still had the parts on the timetable that the kid initially promised but clearly couldn't deliver on.

Obviously I won't ever darken their doors again. The part that mystifies me is WHY? If you're not going to do what you say you're going to do why say it in the first place? If he had initially told me "Sorry, but that's all special order stuff and I just can't supply it at this time of year" I'd have been OK & he'd still have me as a potential future customer. Why is honesty such a rare commodity?
      R.J.(Bob) Evans
      Buchanan, SK
      Cierra 2755
      Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
      Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

i hear you brother, I'm a motorcycle enthusiast and just like M&P, motorcycle dealerships rape us big time then complain about how internet shopping is hurting their bottom line so much they can't afford to carry large inventory any more.
        Stan
        2001 Bayliner 4788
        Underhulls
        Bow & Stern Thrusters
        Hydronic heater
        330 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV View Post
          Disappointingly, that's what I call gouging!
          Merlin, don’t even get me going on “Thieveston Marine”!!!!
          Geoff & Jen
          Shocking Lesson
          1986 3870
          Hino 175's

Comment

I have sold a motorcycle and 2 boats to Canadians in BC. I think that the majority of Canadians in Vancouver don’t know how easy it is to just drive across and buy stuff at a bargain, or don’t realize how much cheaper it is. When I search craigslist for boats the ones in Vancouver are listed for 50% more than those here in the U.S., and I am talking in U.S. dollars. I know the selection is smaller up there, but there really doesn’t seem to be a reason for the immediate inflation once you cross the border.
            Maybe you guys are used to getting screwed and just accept it?
            Esteban
            B-ham!
            Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

When it comes to buying in the USA we Canucks have to pay the exchange rate on the $ which is not cheep and then when we bring it into Canada we have to then pay the Canadian Federal and Provincial Sales Taxes and any duties that may apply. That is on top of the brokerage charges to clear it for you. Add to that the freight it is hardly worth the bother. Think about what a warrantee claim would entail LOL. That is of course the honest way. Less scrupulous people might try to smuggle it across and risk fines, possible jail time and confiscation.
              P/C Bob Hicks JN
              Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
              Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
              Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
              Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
              Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Hi Rob
                I fell your pain as I go thru this every year when come out of the BC Liquor storeBetween all the Slemans and Wine,it's the same for me over here for boat parts shipping can cost more than the part.....see ya up North most likely and we'll toast to our rants.... Take care Brad
                Brad & Sharon
                Lady Jake
                1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                LaConner,Wa. (summer)
                2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
                kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I’m the same when it comes to the “brand name” part and the identical part from the same sub supplier. I recently had to replace the exhaust temperature sensor on my MDKD Onan. The Cummins-Onan part was from $75-$125 for the same part number depending on the seller. But wait! I went on line, and once I had the correct nomenclature, I found the manufacturer of the part. It turns out that it’s most commonly used for a radiator fan switch and I was able to order a quantity of one for about $20 including shipping and handling.
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                  MMSI 367770440
                  1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                  Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I hate gouging as much as anyone, but comparing prices in two different countries, even if neighbors, is apples and oranges. Different tax structures, different business laws and environments, different supplier agreements, etc.

Comment

• Solandri
                      Solandri commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There's also the exchange rate. Most companies operate internally under one currency. It's a huge problem if you try to quantify sales in another country based on a daily or even monthly exchange rate. Instead, what they do is contract with a currency exchange service to convert money from the other country's currency into their native currency at a fixed rate for the year. e.g. When I report the interest on my Canadian bank account on my U.S. taxes, the IRS lets me just use the CAD/USD exchange rate on Dec 31 for the entire year. They don't expect me to look up the exchange rate on each day of the 12 months that interest was deposited into my account, and do the CAD/USD conversion for that day.

Having a fixed rate for the entire year represents a considerable risk for the exchange service. If they get it wrong, they can easily wind up losing money instead of collecting a fee. So they are extremely conservative in their rates, resulting in prices which can appear to be gouging.

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post
                    I hate gouging as much as anyone, but comparing prices in two different countries, even if neighbors, is apples and oranges. Different tax structures, different business laws and environments, different supplier agreements, etc.
                    I'm sorry but that attitude is so yesterday. We live in a global economy and suppliers ignore that fact at their own peril. If I'm prepared to wait I can have parts shipped from China and in many cases they are the same parts that are hanging in nice molded packages at the chandler. That trend has been accelerating for the last two years and it will continue. North America is still a free trade zone. There is no excuse for price differences. Freight is a separate issue. I'm just as close to Seattle as I am to Toronto - there's no excuse for price differences just because the border intervenes. Obviously you have to adjust for currency but so what - its just math. Marine suppliers may have largely avoided the reality of the global market thus far but they won't be able to ignore reality forever.
                    R.J.(Bob) Evans
                    Buchanan, SK
                    Cierra 2755

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post

I'm sorry but that attitude is so yesterday. We live in a global economy and suppliers ignore that fact at their own peril. If I'm prepared to wait I can have parts shipped from China and in many cases they are the same parts that are hanging in nice molded packages at the chandler. That trend has been accelerating for the last two years and it will continue. North America is still a free trade zone. There is no excuse for price differences. Freight is a separate issue. I'm just as close to Seattle as I am to Toronto - there's no excuse for price differences just because the border intervenes. Obviously you have to adjust for currency but so what - its just math. Marine suppliers may have largely avoided the reality of the global market thus far but they won't be able to ignore reality forever.
                      My attitude may be "yesterday," (after all, I typed it before yesterday), but your own experience proves that it is still valid. I suggest that you take a trip to Tijuana or Guadelajara (sp?) and go buy some stuff, then drive up to La Jolla or Del Mar and buy the same stuff, and report back on free trade and the global economy........

Comment

Originally posted by 6104696 View Post

My attitude may be "yesterday," (after all, I typed it before yesterday), but your own experience proves that it is still valid. I suggest that you take a trip to Tijuana or Guadelajara (sp?) and go buy some stuff, then drive up to La Jolla or Del Mar and buy the same stuff, and report back on free trade and the global economy........
                        My example was plugs, cap and rotor for a 350 Chevy. Trinkets made in Guadalajara are hardly comparable, Pricing absolutely has to flatten in a global economy. When we got home this afternoon there was a parcel that UPS had dropped off in the porch. I ordered it from McMaster Carr yesterday. It came from Ohio. I don't know how they did that but the vendors who get that figured out will survive. The others won't. Its really that simple. The only question is which consumers will figure it out first and which ones will continue to let local vendors get over on them.
                        R.J.(Bob) Evans
                        Buchanan, SK
                        Cierra 2755

Comment

Working...
                        X