Who Has The Right Of Way?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Has The Right Of Way?

I may have the right answer and again I may not. When approaching a draw or swing bridge going with the current and there is another boat approaching from the other side going against the current, and the bridge opens. Which boat has the right of way? I would say the boat going with the current. I could be wrong.
    Just love being on my 3870............Bill
    1985 3870
    Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
    Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
    Live on board full time.
    North Myrtle Beach, SC

I don’t know the answer but if there’s only room for the one boat I’d guess the same as you.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Well, it took a bit, but here’s a link to the latest river right of way. Basically, if you are going with the flow, you are the stand on vessel. If you are going against the current, you are the give way vessel.
      https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...3_114&rgn=div8
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
        Nauti_Mike commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I would think. It’s about the vessel with less control gets the right away.

Pete, this same rule applies around here in the salt? Say dodd narrows or similar?
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• kwb
        kwb commented
        Editing a comment
        same thing- going with current you have less control and have right of way, bucking the current you are the give way vessel.

Rules of gross tonnage are also to be considered.

It’s International Rules all the way to the tributaries of Lake Sammamish, but I’m not going to mess with someone coming with the current in Deception Pass, Dodd Narrows, or any other water like them. I do like that any time I’ve been going through Dodd, Malibu, or any other narrow current laden pass, is the announcement of intention of a vessel or series of vessels traveling a given direction.
      Now, if the incoming tide has reversed the current in the Snohomish, does the vessel going upriver, with the current at the BNSF bridge?
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

the nav rules can be confusing, and seemingly contradictory at times.... and even more so if one is trying to compare the international rules to the inland rules...

where INLAND rules preside, (NOT the int rules) they only give particular vessels, in particular rivers, the right of way in a following river current... its NOT a blanket coverage for all rivers everywhere, and it doesnt matter which way the water is flowing in the river... the wording is "vessels going with a following current".....

but within the shipping channel of an inland river, commercial traffic always has the right of way in either direction, and there are no special "right-of-way" provisions given within the "inland" rules for up/down river traffic at bridges or other waterway obstructions/restrictions.. EXCEPT ON CERTAIN RIVERS, of which relate more to tributaries of and including the mississippi, and the great lakes passages and channels..

they must think that the rest of us have enough common sense to figure out who needs to stay out of the way when a larger vessel is coming thru...

NU LIBERTE'
        Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
        5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
        N2K equipped throughout..
        2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
        2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
        '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
        Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
          Pete, this same rule applies around here in the salt? Say dodd narrows or similar?
          I was unable to find an American reference but the Canadian modification to Rule 9 clearly indicates that the vessel travelling with the current is the stand on vessel and shall propose the method of passage.
          R.J.(Bob) Evans
          Buchanan, SK
          Cierra 2755
          Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
          Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Working...
          X