I need a good GPS speedo app

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a good GPS speedo app

For my android phone. I installed one that's not accurate at all, and continuously loads ads on the phone. Preferably free, I don't mind ads when I use the app, but I'd pay for a known good one. Thanks!
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Jeff, I don't know if they are available for the android, but for my iPhone I have speedpro (free) and speedpro +. I'm taking a short road trip today and will check the free version to see if it's accurate and useable without too many popups. I use speedpro+ on my boat, my car, and when I fly non-commercial(just to alleviate boredom).
    Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
    Alpha 1, Gen II
    2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
    Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
    (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Comment

If your just looking for speed, I have DigiHUD speedometer. It's free with no ads and you don't need cell connection for it to work. according to my chart plotter it's accurate.
      Dave
      2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
      2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
      2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
      http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

Thank you both, I'll check them out.
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

I have one called GPS Status on my Galaxy S8+. Seems to work well. There are ads at the bottom of the screen but they do not interfere with the data shown. You can upgrade to a paid version GPS Status Pro.
          Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
          West River Yacht & Cruising Club
          www.wrycc.com

Comment

Originally posted by moultdkdj View Post
            If your just looking for speed, I have DigiHUD speedometer. It's free with no ads and you don't need cell connection for it to work. according to my chart plotter it's accurate.
            Whether or not a cell phone/tablet GPS app needs a cellular connection depends on if the device has a GPS receiver or an A-GPS receiver.

The initial position fix from GPS requires a lot of calculation. Earlier and low-end phones and tablets don't have enough processing power to do this calculation in a timely manner. Consequently, A-GPS, or assisted GPS was developed. The phone transmits the GPS signal timings to a cell tower, a powerful computer in the tower does the calculations and determines the phone's coordinates, and sends those coordinates back to the phone.

Subsequent positions are calculated as a delta (change) from that initial position fix, which requires much less processing power. So if the initial position fix is done while there's still cellular service, most A-GPS devices can continue tracking position after losing cellular service. Just be aware that switching away from the GPS app may cause the app to require a new A-GPS position fix. (This is why sometimes your car GPS messes up and thinks you're driving parallel to the highway, instead of on the highway. The initial position fix was wrong, probably because you began moving while the GPS was still calculating that initial position.)

Most modern smartphones and tablets are powerful enough to have regular GPS (their processors can calculate the initial position fix quickly). The notable exception is the iPad. WiFi iPads don't have any GPS receiver. Cellular iPads have A-GPS, but apparently it will also function as plain GPS when there's no cellular service.
            1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

I checked speed pro, n/a for android, so I installed digiHUD. We're sea trialing a boat Monday, we'll see how it works. I'll compare it to the car speedo on the way to the marina. Thanks again everyone.
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
              "GetAway"
              Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Jeff, you don’t have Navionics or Garmon blue chart? Thought everyone had one of those apps for backup plotting/speed etc.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• Solandri
                  Solandri commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Navionics is nice, but I've found it to be a bit of a battery hog. Since I have my chartplotter, plus GPS on my VHF radio and a tablet running Navionics (plugged into a USB outlet for power) as a backup, I like to keep my phone free of battery-draining apps. That way if it somehow ends up being my last-functioning piece of communications equipment, it'll still have plenty of battery life remaining.

I have Navionics on my phone as well (it has a regular GPS), but I won't fire that up unless the three other means of electronic navigation have failed. I do test it now and then to make sure it's updated and runs.

• builderdude
                  builderdude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I installed a dragonfly 7 pro for gps/plotter/fish finder but use the Navionics app on my iPad as my primary plotter. It's so much faster than the dragonfly and way more user freindly via the touch screen. Plus my fish finder data Wifi's over to it also.

• Solandri
                  Solandri commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I should probably add that I sprang for a HDS Carbon because I wanted sidescan sonar and eventually plan to update the radar to a more modern unit. It's as fast as or faster than Navionics on my tablet, and a heckuva lot brighter. I put it on the flybridge and mirror the display on my tablet in the cabin (the tablet also runs Navionics in the background so I'll still have a course plot if the main MFD should die).

IMHO those pitot tube style units should be trashed as they are useless or inaccurate 95% of the time. There are quite a few GPS speedometer units out there that just work. Here is an example of one that even has the gps receiver included for ease of installation. For $60 you can't go wrong. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-GPS-Di....c100005.m1851
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                  Jeff, you don’t have Navionics or Garmon blue chart? Thought everyone had one of those apps for backup plotting/speed etc.
                  No, I don't, not on my phone. I just need a speedo, not sure if gps on the boat works, according to the owner.
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "GetAway"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Good luck on the sea trial Jeff!!
                    Jim Gandee
                    1989 3888
                    Hino 175's
                    Fire Escape
                    Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                      Good luck on the sea trial Jeff!!
                      Thanks Jim!
                      Jeff & Tara
                      (And Ginger too)
                      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                      "GetAway"
                      Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Good luck !
                        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                        X