What an ice jam can do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an ice jam can do

This boat probably isn’t worth much anyways as it has sat uncovered for years on its trailer 100 yards away from here on the trailer. This is where the ice dam flood deposited it trailer and all in January. Nice mess. They removed the trailer a while back but it originally had been sitting 50’ in front of it. This is the Mississiquoi river in Far Northern Vt. Near Swanson.

It's surprising that the top survived the weather.
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

One son lives in Milton, VT, they’ve had quite a ride this winter.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
        One son lives in Milton, VT, they’ve had quite a ride this winter.

That 6 weeks of almost complete sub zero weather sure did build up the ice and that rapid thaw did the rest. For whatever reason they decided that blowing up the ice jams isn’t productive anymore so just let it go. Any idea why that would be? It sounds a bit hokey to me and if you live around for VT you get the idea how the tail wags the dog when the greeny agenda takes off there so it wouldn’t surprise me if it went along that angle. What surprises me is they didn’t just use big excavators as much of those rivers are quite narrow and shallow. VT never did have much for roads and they aren’t very ambitious about taking care of them. That RT 2 is the main truck route and pretty much only road going across Northern VT and when that floods it’s a major pain.
        . One thing for sure made a big mess. It got so cold up here so fast last winter that I don’t believe we lost one drowning victim all winter long in the region because the water froze so thick so fast. Then of course last week one guy goes out on the ice in the New York side and drowns in his side-by-side and then yesterday they pulled somebody out of the water who fell through over in Vermont so they’re off to the races again just like always. Why people keep going out on that ice when it’s been 60° and it has barely gone Below freezing in weeks Is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
        X