Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost electrical power - Bayliner 2452 year 1995

Hi guys,

I am starting engine every weekend even when I am not going out. So today I tried to start the engine and lost power. Does anybody know where the main fuse is at Bayliner 2452 year 1995?
    I have some fuses on cables going out of main switch, then a fuse box in the cabin and one big one besides house batteries. Check attached pictures please.
    Attached Files
    Jan
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bayliner Classic 2452 (year 1995)
    Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One

sorry, this post got published before I was able to say:
    Thank you very much for your help, guys!!!

Jan
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One

Comment

Top of the engine, red button.

Everything runs through that breaker.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Looks like this. Probably starboard side of engine, just forward of the exhaust manifold. Also did you loose everything as in cabin lights etc. and while cranking the engine? Check your battery cable connections, both possitives and negatives and at both ends. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	5.1 KB ID:	413859
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Hi guys,

Thank you for your answers!!! I had my genius friend with me on the boat today, we checked all cables, fuses, batteries, all good. But did not notice that magic main breaker.
          Going to check tomorrow again!

RE: Also did you loose everything as in cabin lights etc. and while cranking the engine

- Yes, no lights, no power what so ever! Just one crank, Puffffffffff, silent, dark, cold. Mind you, it was -8 few days ago, but I do have a heater in the engine bilge and in the cabin as well
          Both still working - shore power.

Appreciate your help a lot, gents!~!!

Jan
          Jan
          Vancouver, BC, Canada
          Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One

Comment

There is a fuse on the starter soleniod that supplies power to the alternator, engine breaker mentioned above and helm. However neither this fuse nor the engine breaker power cabin lights.

To lose engine power and cabin lights one of the following must be bad; batteries, corroded or lose battery cables including the return (ground), battery switch itself.
            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
              There is a fuse on the starter soleniod that supplies power to the alternator, engine breaker mentioned above and helm. However neither this fuse nor the engine breaker power cabin lights.

To lose engine power and cabin lights one of the following must be bad; batteries, corroded or lose battery cables including the return (ground), battery switch itself.
              - Thank you, Mike... what could happened, bilge blower was running, cranked the engine once and lost all the power? Sure feels like a fuse somewhere...
              Jan
              Vancouver, BC, Canada
              Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One

Comment

Originally posted by jstefano View Post

- Thank you, Mike... what could happened, bilge blower was running, cranked the engine once and lost all the power? Sure feels like a fuse somewhere...
                Jan, there is no one fuse that provides power to the engine and cabin lights. Really sounds like a loose corroded battery cable. The act of cranking the engine draws lots of current and a loose connection will heat up and become highly resistive. This now causes a large voltage drop and not enough power is now available to operate. BTY many have had the Perko battery switch go bad just like this.

Mike

Comment

Just for giggles check the wiring harness barrel connection.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post

Mike, perhaps your boat is different, but both my 2859’s and my 2452 were wired where all power went through that breaker on the engine. All DC power to the cabin DC fuse block came directly from that breaker. Then a fuse off of that main fuse block went to the ignition system.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree, just looked at some schematics to verify. Breaker protects red/purple going to the hull harness.
                      I thought the block fuse at the starter lug was to protect against over charge current from the alternator.

• Nauti_Mike
                      Nauti_Mike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dave I disagree, the diagram shows engine power and the mating harness only goes to the helm gauges and ignition switch but not to the fuse block at the helm. At least the helm diagram does not show a tap to fuse block nor could Mercruiser know what load a boat builder would need.

• ksanders
                      ksanders commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mike

What Bayliner did was to use that wire to feed the main fuse block which on my 2452 and both 2859’s was behind the helm.
                      I traced this out on both model boasts and am 100% confident in that.
                      I also added a house bank to both boat models, and have a wasy way to do that, eliminating what I consider to be a design flaw in the Bayliner electrical system, if anybody is interested.

Breaker #7 protects red/purple to hull harness.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	413965
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    Misc. projects thread

Comment

The block fuse at the starter lug:
                      I know this has been questioned before, but I've seen one schematic showing both orange and red wires protected by the block fuse and one schematic showing just the orange wire protected yet the schematic I posted doesn't show it at all.
                      Don't know what to think, I actually don't have that block fuse
                      Dave
                      Edmonds, WA
                      "THE FIX"
                      Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Mike, perhaps your boat is different, but both my 2859’s and my 2452 were wired where all power went through that breaker on the engine. All DC power to the cabin DC fuse block came directly from that breaker. Then a fuse off of that main fuse block went to the ignition system.
                        Kevin, Dave

my understanding is is that all engine/helm power is feed by the fuse on the starter and the engine breaker but not any boat power. The fuse and breaker are part of the Mercruiser wiring harness and the rest of the boat items lights, horn, accessories are feed from the battery switch.

Mercruiser would not know how to size the breaker for all boat sizes and power needs they only are protecting their electrical.

Mike

Comment

Jan measure to see if 12V is present at both sides of the fuse on the starter. If no power go measure at the battery switch.

Have you checked the battery cables for corrosion and ensuring ensuring they are tight including the return on the back of the engine?

Mike

Comment

If there is a 90AMP square main fuse at the starter, everything goes thru the main fuse.
                            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                            93 3058 sold
                            92 2855 (day boat)
                            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                            Longbranch WA
                            Life is Good

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                              Nauti_Mike commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The OP has a 1995 so it should have the fuse. Older models did not.
                          Working...
                          X