USA - UK shipping recommendations..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA - UK shipping recommendations..

Hi owners, I am moving back to the UK in the next coming months and want to ship my bayliner 3055 with me, ideally a company to pick it up from the port etc etc

what do do I need to ensure I have on the boat? Docs ?

And any recommendations on what company to use..

thanks all

Peters and May are one of the best. petersandmay.com I have used them professionally over several decades.
    yachtshipping.com are another.
    A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
    Blustery Day
    Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
    Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
    Purchased 23 February 2017

Comment

A good and probably cheapest option would be to use a RoRo service, especially if You have a trailer for the boat, but this pending on your and port location. If RoRo does not work another competitive solution would be to load it on a 40ft flatrack container and ship it on any major shipping line serving ports close to Your needs. Even if the boat would make the flatrack out of gauge, pricing still might be competitive.

One of the main thing is to check if the boat has a CE plate & documentation or not. If not, then You will have some expensive paperwork ahead. Also worth checking if You need to pay VAT or not for the boat, removal goods tax treatment is very goods and country specific. Good Luck!
      Bayliner 2556 1990 project

Comment

People like Peters and May will help you through the whole process, tell you what the shipping options are, and deal with documentation.

As said above, CE certification is vital. Doing a one off, retrospective compliance will probably be prohibitively expensive. If the model was marketed in Europe, then Bayliner should be able to provide certificate of conformity, compliant owners' manual etc. If you are relocating back to UK, you should be able to avoid VAT and import duty on your possessions, including boat. Make sure you have purchase invoice. If the boat is US registered, you will cancel that, keeping copy of registration documents. If you have a UK address, you can already do online SSR small ships registration.
        A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
        Blustery Day
        Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

Doing a quick check, I can see that 3055s have been sold in Europe from at least 1992 - 2005, so you should be able to sort CE compliance easily.
          Blustery Day
          Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

Doing a quick check, I can see that 3055s have been sold in Europe from at least 1992 - 2005, so you should be able to sort CE compliance easily.
            Blustery Day
            Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

No doubt above mentioned companies does a good job and make the process very easy, what goes for the transport. However would say that their service comes at a cost. As their main target customer group is much more expensive boats/Yachts than a 3055, so by doing some work, you can save plenty. But is all bout how deep pockets You have.

What goes for the CE, easy it can be only if this specific boat has CE approval & plates for both the hull and the engines, including supporting paperwork's. If not, it is more or less irrelevant if same model has been sold in EU before. Although it is possible, its very unlikely a boat manufacturer would retrofit a CE plate on an old hull and engine, and if not, you have to make a hull specific CE "type approval" when importing it to EU.

For engines without CE plate and not fulfilling emissions standards set out in the recreational craft directive, not much hope there, easier to sell the engine in USA and buy new ones in UK. For the hull retrofitting CE conformity is doable, often without much modifications, but the inspection and paperwork will cost, probably several thousands.

The CE type approval is not a DIY job, physical inspections needs to be done by surveyor and papers to be issued by Notified Body....Would recommend to contact a UK company specialized in these things.

Good luck anyway

Bayliner 2556 1990 project

Comment

Sounds to me like it would be a lot easier and way less expensive to sell her here and buy another one when you get there. My parents took a Ford Mustang over to England and said never again. Just way too much paper work, permissions, certifications etc.
                P/C Bob Hicks JN
                Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
                Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
                Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
                Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
                Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Not sure that selling in the US and buying in UK is the answer, looking at prices.

Sure, you could deal with all the aspects of shipping yourself ..... Transport to departure port, arrange storage, movement to quayside, loading, documentation, unloading, clearance, documentation, customs agent, port authorities, dockers .... Or call Peters & May! Yes, they ship big stuff, but they handle all types and sizes of boats, boat bits, trailers, containers etc. And, they will mean you keep your hair.

Call CEProof, or similar in UK and they will run through the CE marking with you. The fact that the model has already been approved does make a difference.

40 years a Yacht Broker, and hundreds of international sales, so I know a bit, and, at least as important, know what I am not expert on, and when to turn to someone who is!
                  Blustery Day
                  Twin Hino 150hp diesels.

Comment

Wow, this is a lot of useful information and I thank you all, i will look into the CE side of stuff first, I’m military and going back on orders so I won’t pay import tax as it’s a personal boat and i have owned it longer then 6 months. With regards to selling her and buying in the UK, it’s about $11,000 to buy the same boat there! So even with a bill to get her back, it would work out cheaper.

Comment

You are probably looking at a different rail system with a life line, fire extinguisher system and swapping out the 110 systems for 220v.

Comment

Working...
                      X