engine for a 2452 cruiser...-gctid403118

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine for a 2452 cruiser...-gctid403118

a few weeks ago my son came to visit me and i asked him to take my boat out for a few hours, since I can't use it. he and my grandsons thought it was a great idea. they took it out for sever hours and had a great time, so my son decided that he needed a cruiser. he already has a 17' lund fishing boat that he uses in walleye and bass tournaments. a cruiser he felt would allow him to take his sons fishing ion some of the larger lakes in the mid-west. he also wants to pull a tube and maybe some skiingas well.. he told one of his friends what he wanted to do and his friend came up with a 1993bay2452 , only problem, the engine has a window in #3 cylinder when you look at the side of the block you can see the small end of the rod and a boat load of aluminum, so the block is junk. I have a 5.7 gm truck engine in my garage which would be the most logical way to go, but my son came up with a new 4.3 v-6, that he would like to try. I know that the bay266 discovery is outfitted with a 4.3, so, my question is what sounds like the better way to go. I think my son realized that cruisers consume fuel compared to his mercury ob and thinks the 4.3 would be the better way to go, what do you guys think?

regards, pat

The 4.3 will be significantly under-powered. And that usually results in WORSE fuel economy. Everyone assumes a V8 uses more fuel, but that's only true if you run it at full throttle or if it's significantly bigger than the boat needs (a V8 in an 18-footer for example). You want a well-matched engine and hull pair, so that the cruise speed for the hull matches the cruise RPM for the engine. A V8 engine cruises best at 3600-3800 RPM and that coincides nicely with most cruisers in the 24-30 range having a hull that cruises best at 28-32 MPH.

As far as buying a dead boat to fix, that's usually a losing proposition. Most people just can't fathom how much it ends up costing to fix up boats. I know, I've done a number of them. Everything takes twice as long as you predict and at least 50% more cash than estimated. There are a lot of perfectly good boats for good prices available these days. And if the boat has been sitting due to a dead engine, chances are there's a lot of neglect in a lot of other parts.

Comment

Pat, if the boat was OEM with a 5.7L, and if he thinks that a 4.3L will get the hull up on step, yet reduce fuel consumption, I think that he'll be fooling himself.

I would build the 5.7L and do so using the quench style combustion chamber arrangement.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

HeadinSouth wrote:
        ... I know that the bay266 discovery is outfitted with a 4.3...regards, pat
        Is the Discovery a semi-planing boat? That would explain the lower power requirement. You son's idea of a 4.3 is appealing, since lighter engines and more efficient outdrives are a modern solution. The problem is, you are probably not considering adding a dual-prop drive, for example. You would also need to think light, such as using minimum batteries and holding tanks (and passengers). Also using a prop that is geared toward leveraging power and lowering top end speed.

I agree with the others that there is risk that a 4.3 is not enough power, especially with your current outdrive. Regarding the 5.7, it is not that much of a gas hog as far as boats go. For further discussion, could you post the weight of the boat you are talking about? Its all about weight.

Comment

HeadinSouth wrote:
          ... my son decided that he needed a cruiser. he already has a 17' lund fishing boat that he uses in walleye and bass tournaments. a cruiser he felt would allow him to take his sons fishing ion some of the larger lakes in the mid-west. he also wants to pull a tube and maybe some skiingas well ... I think my son realized that cruisers consume fuel compared to his mercury ob and thinks the 4.3 would be the better way to go, what do you guys think?
          Being concerned about fuel consumption and using a 23 foot boat to pull around tubes and skiiers don't mix. Unless he is going to pull them between point A and B where he would be going anyway. This boat will use much more fuel than the Lund, no matter what kind of engine is in it.

Comment

I would build the 5.7L and do so using the quench style combustion chamber arrangement.
            That along with a good marine manifold and four-barrel will produce around 290 HP and REDUCE fuel consumption compared to the stock setup. Yes, the four-barrel uses LESS fuel than the two-barrel. I've done this conversion, and measured it with flow meter and a GPS.

Comment

I love the 2452 and will some day upgrade to one. I have heard that even the 5.0 option is a bit underpowered and that it gets better mileage with the 5.7.

I have been living with an underpowered boat for many years though my boat planes happily. I doubt you would even get up on plane with the smaller engine he is considering. The 2452 is a lot of boat.

Comment

trophyboat wrote:
                I love the 2452 and will some day upgrade to one. I have heard that even the 5.0 option is a bit underpowered and that it gets better mileage with the 5.7.

I have been living with an underpowered boat for many years though my boat planes happily. I doubt you would even get up on plane with the smaller engine he is considering. The 2452 is a lot of boat.
                +1 for the 5.7 being more economical then the 5.0...

4.3 would be way under powered.

I would also think a first year production 2452 is pretty much at the end of its life... Check the engine mounts for softness in the stringers... and look for leaking gas tanks... Being that old, they are aluminum and subject to rotting from the inside... top of the tank would look great... its the bottom that would be bad.
                Doug ;}
                MMSI: 338068776
                "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Doug,

I was thinking on having a 5.7 Vortec rebuilt for my 2000 2452. It currently has the 5.0 stock (starting to use a little oil) and a Alpha I Gen II, swapping the externals and ordering a 4bbl set up.

Should I keep the HP below 300 for the outdrive? I don't have to get there fast, just have to get there with fuel left over to get back, without shattering gears.
                  Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                    That along with a good marine manifold and four-barrel will produce around 290 HP and REDUCE fuel consumption compared to the stock setup. Yes, the four-barrel uses LESS fuel than the two-barrel. I've done this conversion, and measured it with flow meter and a GPS.
                    Would it be a huge project to put a 4 barrel on my boat?

5.0, 2 barrel now

trophyboat wrote:

In my opinion, you heard right.

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:

5.0, 2 barrel now

In my opinion, you heard right.
                      Nope, new intake, carb, tuning, done!

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:

5.0, 2 barrel now
                        I thought you already did that! There was something about a group of bikers or something and hanging the motor from a tree in your backyard?

You mean that didn't really happen?

Back to OP.... Don't do the 4.3 idea. I think there would be zero ability for watersports with that little power in something the size and weight of a 2452. And I agree with others that it would be wise to find something in good running order. Realtively speaking - well maintained boats are about the cheapest of all the big toys on the market for us kids nowadays.

Comment

I was thinking on having a 5.7 Vortec rebuilt for my 2000 2452. It currently has the 5.0 stock (starting to use a little oil) and a Alpha I Gen II, swapping the externals and ordering a 4bbl set up.

Should I keep the HP below 300 for the outdrive? I don't have to get there fast, just have to get there with fuel left over to get back, without shattering gears.
                          You will not be over 300 with the standard marine parts. The A1 drive is rated to 300.

5.0, 2 barrel now
                          "Huge project" is relative. You have to rate your own mechanical ability between:

1. Hurts self walking with screwdriver

10. Rebuilds marine engines through the outdrive like a gynecologist

It's not as much as an engine rebuild but you are opening up the top of the engine. If you do things wrong, you will damage the engine. If you've never done it, you need to do a lot of careful studying or hire it out. You will need a good regular set of tools plus a torque wrench and breaker bar (it's a marine engine, bolts will be stuck). You will also most likely need a custom bracket for the throttle cable or find an OEM four-barrel throttle cable bracket.

It's definitely not just a "get these parts and do it in two hours."

As far as power, my 2455 with a 250 HP 5.7 was barely enough. When I upgraded it with the four-barrel, it was great.

Comment

Soooooooo bored .40 over with 11:1 flat tops and Fireball 3/4 race cam would probably not be the way to go........ :sorrow:

I am thinking smallest over bore needed and a plain jane rv cam. So I should be good to go. Be a good time to replace the gimball and other stuff. Sounds like a good winter project.
                            Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

SwampNut wrote:

"Huge project" is relative. You have to rate your own mechanical ability between:

1. Hurts self walking with screwdriver

10. Rebuilds marine engines through the outdrive like a gynecologist
                              I guess I am a 7.5 to 8

If I can remember stuff
                              Boatless at this time

Comment

Working...
                              X