through hull transducer any good?-gctid402966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

through hull transducer any good?-gctid402966

Just wondering if because of ease of installation if a through hull transducer works as as well as an external mount transducer? pros?,cons?

Yes, but test the area that you will be installing it in. You want to avoid any voids (which there are not many). You can do that by taking some putty and building a dam around the area you want to install the puck and fill with water and put the puck in the water and check to see that it does read depth OK. Once confirmed, dry area, use the recommended sealant (3M 5200) that will not set with voids or bubbles in it and you are all done. add weight to the topof the puck while it sets for 24 hours... 5200 will cure fully in 48 hours...

The only concern on some thru hull pucks is the lose of around 20-40% of the power output but todays shoot thru pucks are fine... and will work as advertised...

I think your only issue is the lack of temperature and speed but you probably have GPS for speed anyway... I did read about a shoot thru puck that could read temp through the hull...
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Indeed-through hull transducers work extremely well. We have the Airmar P-79 on our boat- we get great return to 500+ feet, at speeds upwards uf 20 knots (we cruise at about 8).

You do lose water temp data with a shoot- thru transducer.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
        Indeed-through hull transducers work extremely well. We have the Airmar P-79 on our boat- we get great return to 500+ feet, at speeds upwards uf 20 knots (we cruise at about 8).

You do lose water temp data with a shoot- thru transducer.
        Pete, I caught that also.

Thru Hull = exterior mounting of a true Thru Hull transducer and faring arrangement.

Shoot Thru = a transducer mounted in the interior of the hull blasting it's frequency through the hull's fiberglass material.

Not only will you loose a bit of accuracy with the "shoot thru" (although many swear by them), you'll loose temperature and paddle wheel speed, if that's of any concern to you.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I am planning to install a through hull transducer, but it comes in two models: Nylon or Brass housing.

I boat on the great lakes in fresh water. My boat is fiberglass, so I am not sure what the difference is between the two materials in terms of quality, other than the price tag: Nylon $102 and the Brass $240. They are both manufactured by Airmar - Nylon model P319 and the brass is model B117. On their website, they show the exact same specs, so I'm confused.

Any thoughts?

Comment

This is a critical location. Drop the additional $138, and go for the bronze!

Jeeze.............., I sure love spending other people's money!
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Neither brass nor nylon will rust in salt water. The real difference is safety. Nylon can be cracked if hit (from inside or outside.) It gets more brittle over time. No way would you want a thru-hull water intake to be nylon. But it would be harder to crack off a transducer just by kicking it or banging up against something, since they are smaller and don't stick out as much on either side.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I'll probably get the brass to ensure lasting performance.

Comment

24,000 posts Rick!!!

Good god man, that's a lot of typing.

Steve

Comment

I switched to a thru-hull last season and love it. Zero issues. I did go with the nylon transducer.
                    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                    1998 3055 Ciera
                    (yes, a 1998)
                    Previous boat: 1993 3055
                    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                    Sea Doo XP
                    Sea Doo GTI SE
                    Life is short. Boats are cool.
                    The family that plays together stays together.
                    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

A through-hull will have a better signal to noise ratio than a 'shoot-through' transducer. Bronze transducers are more rugged than plastic and in that sense, safer too.

If you snag a log and rip the fairing away... that's a large hole to deal with. Go for the bronze if you can afford it.
                      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

All I know is that I routinely get readings as deep as 1500 feet with my shoot thru the hull transducer, and there is nothing to snag on, and one less hole below the waterline to worry about.

Comment

If you're a fisherman... 1500' is worthless if you can't see detail at 100'

I have my expensive sounder for fish finding. I have a depth sounder for watching the bottom. Two differnt applications and I guess it would pay to understand the use first.
                          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                            If you're a fisherman... 1500' is worthless if you can't see detail at 100'

I have my expensive sounder for fish finding. I have a depth sounder for watching the bottom. Two differnt applications and I guess it would pay to understand the use first.
                            The Standard Horizon FF525 Digital Black Box Fish Finder features advanced filtering, which will eliminates unwanted noise and sharpens echoes to enhance separation and detection. This translates into clearer echo signals that distinguish between fish and structures, as well as enhanced fish separation.

The result is a more detailed display of the sea bottom and fish. The FF525 features Transducer ID, which will detect the transducer that is connected and automatically adjust the settings in the unit to optimize the performance of your system.

Seems to find the fish just fine for me....just sayin

Comment

I have a shoot thru and transom mounted transducer. The performance seems the same when displayed on my Navman 8120. I wish I hadn't gone to the trouble of installing the transom transducer as it splashes water up the outside of the transom when on the plane. However, the water speed and temperature reading is useful.

Terry

PS The barnacles absolutely love the transom transducer.
                              Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
                              1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
                              MMSI 235061726

Comment

Working...
                              X