microwave woes-gctid402943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

microwave woes-gctid402943

last weekend i was on the hook and cooking dinner. i was plugged in to my Honda 2000i genny. I was using the microwave to nuke 3 baked potatoes. It took a while, like 3 rounds of 6 minutes. Well, after that, I tried to heat something else up, and we started smelling something bad. Something burning. It wasn't the food, but the smell was coming from the micro. The food was still cold. So as soon as I smelled it I shut it off and didn't use it anymore.

SOOOO....

I was wondering if the being on the genny could have caused this. I think I had the battery chargers going at the same time, and the kids were watching a movie. I'm pretty sure that's it. Do you think a lack of watts or something caused it to fail?

Also, now I am in the market for a new microwave. Will any micro from, say, Walmart, do? Do I need anything special? I think the trick will be finding something small enough to fit in that existing hole. Here's a pic of what I had...

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/706674=29997-IMG_20101206_122046.jpg[/img]
    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

sorry, i didn't realize how terrible that pic was.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/706676=29998-3055 galley.jpg[/img]
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

Comment

Nothing special, but you're right, you need to find one that fits. Someone here went through this a while back. Keep us posted, I think I'll be replacing mine soon, 13 years old, has a dial...
      Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ
      |
      Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
      2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
      2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
      2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
      2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
      And 12 others...
      In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I want a better one too, and haven't found anything that fits yet. The vertical dimension is the real challenge.

Comment

My home microwave crapped out three weeks ago in a similar way. First a smell of burnt plastic, then it would appear to work, but not heat the food. I had an appliance repair guy who replaced the magnetron and now it's ok. It may be cheaper & easier to repair than finding a replacement.

Comment

Just upgraded mine in my 2355. Black digital from Walmart. Works great and the other half approves

Comment

Some on the BOC have said the Inverter based microwaves are a better choice for use on our boats.
              Jim McNeely
              New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
              Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
              Brighton, Michigan USA
              MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I replaced my home microwave with a inverter unit from Walmart, I was surprised at how much faster it is and not very expensive. I'll get one for my boat when the time comes
                Carl

Comment

I would pull it out and get the model number and call the maker of that unit see what they say they might have it or tell you who does. You were pulling alot of juice but the circuit breaker on the gen set would have popped maybe it's defective.
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                    Some on the BOC have said the Inverter based microwaves are a better choice for use on our boats.
                    What is that? Is that a different style, or type of microwave? I didn't realize there were drastic differences in the way microwaves operate.
                    Bravo II drives
                    Closed-cooling

Comment

My microwave hates the power from my 2kW inverter. It's a modified sine wave and makes the microwave buzz so loud it's scarey.

I've seen microwaves fail when run on chopped sinewave generators (modified sine wave), but you should have been fine with an EU2000. It's an inverter/generator and produces pretty high-quality power. Certainly good enough for a microwave.

I think yours just failed due to age (the microwave's, not yours).

Comment

I think I'll buy the first thing I find that fits. I took the old one out and it measures 17.5" W x 9 5/8" H x 12.5" D. The height is the major obstacle. I'm looking on Amazon, and everything is 11" tall or more.

If anyone's been through this already, please let me know what you found that works! Thanks.

-john
                        Bravo II drives
                        Closed-cooling

Comment

Shouldnt you be using a marine microwave........... ;raseberry

Comment

ours on our 3888 is huge over the stove... works great still, no issues working on the gen when cooking... when not in use, it subs as my breadbox..lol

Comment

Just upgraded mine in my 2355. Black digital from Walmart. Works great and the other half approves
                              The 2355/2455/245 have about 1-2" more space for the microwave, making it much easier to replace it. I managed to find a really nice inverter digital to fit my old 2455. The same one won't fit the 3055/305.

And yes, inverter is the way to go. In old types (non-inverter) the only way to "reduce power" is to cycle the magnetron on and off. This still often results in burning or overheating edges or delicate foods. An inverter type can actually reduce magnetron power as selected. They also seem to work better when running off another inverter that doesn't have a true sine, like a Honda generator or onboard inverter.

Comment

Working...
                              X