These guys didn’t even make it out of Tampa bay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These guys didn’t even make it out of Tampa bay

Sold everything they owned to buy a 1969 26’ sailboat. So probably not much...
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/Sunken-...Pass_165308644
    Luckily they didn’t make it too far.
    Esteban
    B-ham!
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

The couple had "no sailing experience".. what could go wrong?

Comment

Hmmmm that is why insurance exisits. If they lost everything and didnt have insurance its kind of hard to feel sorry for them. I guess im just not the compassionate type. If i lose my boat and have no well there it goes.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Dreamers with no fore thought!
        Alaska is full of them, live the life with nothing but the land, you sill need an income and a way to earn money to survive.
        A hard lesson, but a very valuable lesson!
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
          Hmmmm that is why insurance exisits. If they lost everything and didnt have insurance its kind of hard to feel sorry for them. I guess im just not the compassionate type. If i lose my boat and have no well there it goes.
          I don't think they lost a whole lot if everything they owned was sold to buy that 26' 1969 sailboat. What do you think that cost, like $5,000?
          At least they gave it a shot and probably learned something. Glad they weren't in cold water or very far.
          Esteban
          B-ham!
          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

They started a go fund me page !!!

https://nypost.com/2018/02/10/couple...nken-sailboat/
            1989 3218
            1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
            2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

I don't believe some people are stupid enough to give them money. You do something totally insane and then ask the world to bail you out.
              1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
              5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Being a licensed Master, Captain the most feared words you can hear before setting out running someone else's boat are: "We paid this professional mechanic/technician/Boatwright to completely go over the boat so we will not have problems on this cruise." Yeah, right. I have come across many, many people who buy larger boats, like over 30' to "live aboard and cruise" as their first boat. Their financial situation is: everything they have is ties up (no pun intended) in the boat and have no knowledge of piloting, navigation and repairing the boat. I have walked away from a few like that knowing in advance it had great potential of the cruise from hell. Yes, I have apathy for them, but choose to stay out of the situation, for MY health..... My favorite saying: "Poor planning on your part
                does not make it an emergency on my part"
                Captharv 2001 2452
                "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Sounds suspicious to me. Successful salesman and his partner sell everything to buy the boat. She said "they had everything". The boat cost $5000 and they put $5000 into it so that's $10,000 total. Hard to believe that was "all they had". Now they have a go fund me page, any bets they make money on the deal? Not from me. I could be wrong but i don't think so.
                  P/C Bob Hicks JN
                  Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
                  Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
                  Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
                  Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
                  Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

• green650
                    green650 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Quite convenient and safe where they grounded too.
                    Sadly, I think there are a lot of people doing things like this. But at least they are not just standing on the corner looking for a handout.

That couple needs to take a navigation course on sail boats.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Reminds me of a guy I met at anchor in Canada. He came from Chicago in a 38xx like ours. Used the boat more or less as a liveaboard at a marina. He decided to take his boat to Florida. Alone. He had minimal nav. equipment. No charts to speak of. His dinghy had an electric motor.
                    He took his dinghy a couple of miles to a hiking trail. While he was gone I noticed his boat had slipped anchor. In very light wind. He was lucky and just lost a little bottom paint on a rock, I towed it to deep water and set the anchor..
                    He said he usually dove down to check the anchor but didn't that time.
                    He would lift his anchor, run up the deck and climb up to the fly bridge. Not using the stairs.
                    He was planning to travel the Trent Severn by himself with their numerous locks.
                    I gave him spare charts that would at least get him out of Georgian Bay and through the Trent Severn. He had no chart plotter. He had a Richardson but nothing for the Trent.
                    He left and I never saw him or heard about him again.
                    Over the years I have met several with big ideas and no clue what they were getting into.
                    I help and advise them when I can and somehow they must survive.
                    Doug
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned
                    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Sooner or later some end up as flotsam, they have no idea of what they are getting into.
                      Buy a boat sail to the 7 seas

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

If they lost everything on that boat they had close to nothing when they started. Maybe should take a lesson form this guy:
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZd...jIzFnWsDQOv4ww

Now, HE knows what he's doing!
                        88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                        98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Over $15,000 in their "gofundme" thing. What are people thinking that are donating to them???!!!!!

By the way, I'm in the process of purchasing a "new-to-us" boat... I might set up a "gofundme" account to replace the money coming of my savings. Will you guys help me out if I do. I feel it's only right.

John
                          John
                          1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
                          (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

Some people know how to be homeless, and some don't. These folks really do know how. Any idiot that gives them money deserves to lose that perfectly good money. Plain and simple, they wasted a lot of your money on their plan to live the cheap and easy life on a sailbote. What could go wrong. Oh, they could waste more of the gofuckme.com fund they created.
                            Tally and Vicki
                            "Wickus" Meridian 341
                            MMSI 338014939

Comment

Working...
                            X