Anybody using a Samsung Galaxy for Nav Apps?-gctid402726

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody using a Samsung Galaxy for Nav Apps?-gctid402726

Is anybody out there using a Samsung Galaxy as a Nav Device, if so how is it treating you?

Samsung Galaxy

Comment

I bought Navionics for my Galaxy S2, an amazing deal for 16.99 for Marine & Lakes for US and Canada. I have not had a chance to real world test it yet though. No matter what though it is worth it, even it is just there for a backup. My other nav system is a handheld Garmin, the Galaxy S2 may become the main one as the screen is much bigger. Sorry I could not be of more help, my phone went in for repair just after I installed. No problem with the software, the micro USB port was acting up.
      1979 32 Uniflite Sport Sedan twin 270 crusaders
      2003 Bayliner 2152 210 Classic 5.0 mercruiser - sold
      I wish I knew now what I didn't know then

Comment

Note that it's not compatible with Android 4.1. I don't know what version you have on your device, but my Nexus 7 can't load it.

Comment

When I installed it I was running Gingerbread and then I reloaded it on Ice Cream Sandwich, twice actually, I reset my phone once to see if that would fix the charge port issue.

Comment

I have no idea what the retarded names mean, but it worked on 2.x and says it's incompatible on 4.1.

Comment

yes, i have it on my Galaxy tablet . It works perfectly and is accurate enough for me. Only thing that is annoying is the screen blacks out to save power when inactive for a while to save battery . I can change the timer on it but would suffer battery life . Used it to go New Buffalo and back bout a 60 mile round trip . works great. Cost me 9 buks.

Comment

Since you are using a tablet you most likely are using the Honeycomb version of Android. No idea how the numbers on the operating systems work...

Comment

No idea how the numbers on the operating systems work...
                  They get higher when a new version is released. Hard to not figure that out.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                    Note that it's not compatible with Android 4.1. I don't know what version you have on your device, but my Nexus 7 can't load it.
                    I bought the Nexus 7 a few days ago and was bummed it wasn't compatible. There is no info on the Navionics site regarding a release that works with Jellybean. Do you have any info about whether a fix is in the works?

Comment

do i need to activate the sim card with a provider for the gps antenna to work? I can get a GT-P7500 4G for a reasonable price but do not want to if I have to subscribe to a provider for it to work

Comment

The GPS will work without a data plan.

You might look at some reviews, like this one, before you decide to buy it:

http://www.techspot.com/products/tab...t-p7510.28216/

As far as I've heard, it's going to be stuck on Android 3.1 and not get 4.1. I hope I'm wrong, but if not, you'll find some app compatibility issues soon.

Comment

I use Navionics with my Galaxy Note phone and absolutely love it!! When my contract was up for my iPhone, I knew I wanted to purchase something with a bigger screen to see just for this purpose and I couldn't be happier!!! Hope this helps!!!

Comment

my tablet is the galaxy 10.1 not a clue what that means but the nav works flawlessly. the gps is built in . no need for any type of service . just download your map when at home and connected to your wifi internet and all done . the map is stored and when on water your position is displayed. good luck and have a great summer.

Comment

I'm running Navionics Marine HD on a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 (android 4.0).

Nice enough for planning and playing.

It's always "north up". Spot depths symbols look very similar to tide-surfacing-rocks (in lack of knowledge of the correct english term). These two in combination pretty much renders it useless as a high speed (as in planing speeds) navigation tool.

A cool feature is that if you engage the camera function from the app the photos will be accessible from camera icons on the map at the exact spot they were taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X