Opinion on Mercury extended warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on Mercury extended warranty

I have a little dilemma on warranty, and just looking what others do. I know this is personal choice, but.....
    When I purchased my new boat, it came with a 2 year Mercury Warranty. At the time, Merc had a promo going, "Power of Protection Event", which added another 3 years. This additional 3 was through Brunswick, so in total I have 5 years of powertrain warranty. If anything was to prematurely break, 5 years is a long time for it to show up. I'm trying to get detailed info on the small print on what this 3 years covers, deductibles, etc.

Another option I looked at was the Factory extended warranty right through Mercury. I could purchase 6 additional years, which would give me the original 2 + 6 = 8 years coverage. Of course I need to pay for that, I believe it app $2000 for 6 additional years of the Platinum plan. Also trying to get details on the fine print, but it "sounds" like the platinum covers anything and everything attached to the powertrain.

The tough part is getting information on what each one covers, (hard to compare). Free warranty is great but if it don't cover anything, it's not much use. Or does a guy fork our $2k for the additional coverage?
    My dealer is not much help in this dept, so looking for comments on either of these plans.

FWIW, this is the new 4.5L MPI, with alpha drive.

So what does a guy do.......leave it alone ($0) and I have 5 years coverage..............or pay $$$$ for 8 year coverage?

Merc 4.5L MPI, Alpha drive

Leave it alone. After 5 years, if you still own the boat, you still have the 2 grand to spend on repairs.
    And welcome to the BOC!
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

A lot depends on how many hours you put on the boat annually, the water that you operate in ( the warranty will likely not cover the failure of any components due to deterioration from salt water), and how handy you are at doing general repair work. Properly maintained (which the warranty will insist on), these components will easily last for at least 8 years, unless you're putting on a lot of hours annually. Should you strike something in the water, your insurance will generally cover that, while the warranty will not. So, if the warranty only covers the engine and drive, which it sounds like it does, save your money and go boating!
      Bob Hawes.
      Kelowna, B.C.
      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Save your money. The only one who wins is the seller of the "extended warranty".

Comment

+1 on putting your money in a jar for a rainy day. Save it, invest it or spend it on something you want or will use. My personal experience has shown that extended warranties do not pay!

Comment

When my boat was new, I had what was then (and still is) the gold standard of extended warranties from Protective Asset Protection http://www.protectiveassetprotection.com/Products/Marine. It was a package that was backed by Brunswick that Bayliner dealers offered and it was exclusionary coverage of all systems bow to stern for 5 years after the manufacturer warranty expired. It was nice having the peace of mind, but I ended up not using it.

The Mercury coverage is "exclusionary" as well so you need to look it over and make sure that is what you are looking for. Understand what you are getting and not getting, and then decide. If you compare dollars spent, you might be better served with exclusionary coverage from a company like the aforementioned PAP since they cover not only the powertrain but also systems on the boat as well. No idea what the current ask is for a warranty like that, but your dealer should know. If you are going to spend the money, spend it on the most coverage you can get.
            Mocoondo
            2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
            Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
            MMSI: 338091755

Comment

I guess you're just backing up my thoughts and just staying with the 5 years that came with the boat. The extra 3 years would be nice for piece of mind but at a cost of $2000+.
              The boat is used in fresh water lakes. With our short season, there's no way I'll get 200 hours in 5 years, so not worried about anything "wearing" out. I also do my own maintenance including winterizing. Just with these new units, electronics, MPI, wires and hoses all over the place, it gets tough to work on some of these tasks. Owning used boats for many years, I know things can add up. In hindsight, my last boat (2008 with a 3.0L) was my first ever new boat and had 5 year extended warranty. It never went into the shop for any repairs.
              Anyways, thanks for your input, helps me make up my mind.
              Merc 4.5L MPI, Alpha drive

Comment

Originally posted by Gtown View Post
                +1 on putting your money in a jar for a rainy day. Save it, invest it or spend it on something you want or will use. My personal experience has shown that extended warranties do not pay!
                For the most part you are correct. There are always exceptions. A good friend of mine purchased a Ford Bronco many years ago. He was offered the 100,000 mile extended warranty. Not sure what he paid for it as this was in the 90's if I remember correctly. Anyway to get to the point at 99,992 miles his engine blew. With just 8 miles left on the extended warranty he got himself a new engine.
                Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                www.wrycc.com

Comment

Originally posted by RGrew176 View Post

For the most part you are correct. There are always exceptions. A good friend of mine purchased a Ford Bronco many years ago. He was offered the 100,000 mile extended warranty. Not sure what he paid for it as this was in the 90's if I remember correctly. Anyway to get to the point at 99,992 miles his engine blew. With just 8 miles left on the extended warranty he got himself a new engine.
                  Fords are always an exception! If I were buying one I would buy every warranty possible because you will need them for repairs! Just kidding! I would also point out that warranties from the 90's were likely better than what is offered today. Lots of fine print on what is and what isn't covered today. Most often you think you are covered until you try to make a claim. Labour is always a kick is the ass oversight by most warranty claims. Paying for a peace of mind has always been an interesting perspective to me. What are you paying for? It is really like gambling where your odds of winning are very low and the warranty provider odds are very high.

Comment

Working...
                  X