Do you use an electric winch on your trailer?-gctid348369

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use an electric winch on your trailer?-gctid348369

Does anybody use an electric winch on their boat trailer? was thinking of adding one. Most of the time I drive the boat on to the trailer with about 3 to 4 feet left, then have to winch that last little bit and that can be a real bugger. Thought a 10,000# with a single sheave would do the trick, but not sure where or how to attach it. Thought about putting the winch in the bed of the truck and attaching it to the old fifth wheel vs. the trailer mast or tongue. Any thoughts pics or other idea's.

We bought a new 2452 in 96 and the first time I winched her up, the manual winch broke. I bought a PowerWinch RC30 and it has been on four trailers so far and doing fine. One trailer was bunk and three were roller. I love it because I can snug up the boat while towing with the remote instead of stopping on the side of the road and manually hitting the electric switch on the winch. I do need to change out the wire for a web belt.

I ran power from the truck battery to a female socket on the bumper and another on the winch. All I had to do was build a 10 ft cord with two male fittings and remove that and put it in the cab when I park the boat.
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Our trailer had an electric winch on it that had never been hooked up (electrically) when we bought it. Previous owners just used the hand crank. The winch was in bad shape, so we replaced it a few years ago with the same model, only new. When I talked to my boat mechanic about hooking it up, he suggested using a portable power supply, which you can buy fairly reasonably, instead of hooking it up to the vehicle power system. It sounded like a good idea, but I've haven't done anything with it. We still use the hand crank. As I remember, the winch is rated for the weight of our boat if the cable is doubled (run through the sheave). I've never done that either. Ours is a roller trailer, and we generally set the trailer deep enough to float the boat almost to the front stop, so very little effort is needed to turn the crank a turn or two. I should really hook that up and use the electric winch this year, just because it's there. :coo-
      Ron Everson
      1975 Reinell 21' Cutty Cabin w/225 OMC
      1989 Bayliner 2755 Cierra Sunbridge w/460 OMC King Cobra

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
        We bought a new 2452 in 96 and the first time I winched her up, the manual winch broke. I bought a PowerWinch RC30 and it has been on four trailers so far and doing fine. One trailer was bunk and three were roller. I love it because I can snug up the boat while towing with the remote instead of stopping on the side of the road and manually hitting the electric switch on the winch. I do need to change out the wire for a web belt.

I ran power from the truck battery to a female socket on the bumper and another on the winch. All I had to do was build a 10 ft cord with two male fittings and remove that and put it in the cab when I park the boat.
        Doug, did you make the platform for the winch?

Comment

Bills2855 wrote:
          Doug, did you make the platform for the winch?
          No, it came with one for the manual winch. All the trailer manufacturers have them available cheap. You might try a boat repair place for a used one...
          Doug ;}
          "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I have a powerwinch 912 on my trailer. Although its a bunk trailer, it is set up to launch and retreive by myself. (Admiral is no help)

Launch is mostly float it off.

Retreive is where I have a line on the boat bow. The trailer is submerged to a certain point. I pull the boat onto the trailer and connect the snal from the winch.

The winch pulls it up the last 5' (+/-).

I modified the trailer by removing the front wood thingies, and replacing it with 2 sets of double Stolz rollers. Shhhhh, it thinks its a hybrid bunk/roller trailer.

Power for the winch is wired thru the Expedition with 6 ga wire, thru a 40 amp breaker. The "pigtail" to the winch stores in the compartment for the gas shutoff thingie.

This system was used on my last 5 boats. Works for me.
            Captharv 2001 2452
            "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Ours is a Powerwinch 712. It was an exact replacement for the old one, therefore I was not concerned that it would be strong enough to pull the boat onto the trailer. When you read the specs, it sounds kinda lightweight for the 8,000 # loaded weight of the 2755, but it does the job.
              Ron Everson
              1975 Reinell 21' Cutty Cabin w/225 OMC
              1989 Bayliner 2755 Cierra Sunbridge w/460 OMC King Cobra

Comment

I have the powerwinch and wouldn't have a boat without one. It has lasted a surprisingly long time so far. I do also need to change the cable as it is starting to fray and that hurts...

Comment

I have a PowerWinch 912C and works great. My only problem was the Length of my F350 CC batteries to the PowerWinch, and the higher amperage fusing that the 912 requires. Make sure you insulate that fuse well so it does not Short out on any truck metal. Oh, and get the "Spare Handle" crank with the correct sized nut just in case. That way at least you can hand crank it in an emergency. I got mine very reasonable on Fleabay because the original owner thought it was bad. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it, intangled the cable that was badly pinched, and now works like a charm.

Comment

UGH, Oh how I wish !!!

that damn boat is soooooo heavy to crank up.......

Comment

Doug...I have a 2000, 2858 c/b ....the boat weighs in around 10K loaded, give or take. Do you know of any electric winches you'd recommend for a boat as heavy as mine? I have a bunk trailer too by the way...

Comment

law950, the weight is not the bog concern since you are not vertical lifting 10K, your more likely pulling less than 5K, even on bunks. So any winch with a 5K capacity should work out. My RC30 worked just fine on my bunk trailer and I bet my boat is just over 9K when fully loaded for major trips...

In fact my RC30 is suppose to pull a 11,500# boat or vertical lift 4000#...
                        Doug ;}

sigpic

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
                          law950, the weight is not the bog concern since you are not vertical lifting 10K, your more likely pulling less than 5K, even on bunks. So any winch with a 5K capacity should work out. My RC30 worked just fine on my bunk trailer and I bet my boat is just over 9K when fully loaded for major trips...

In fact my RC30 is suppose to pull a 11,500# boat or vertical lift 4000#...
                          Thanks much GoAweigh2452!...now my next question...where can I get one?

Comment

Doug (or anyone else):

I'm curious.... why would you ever consider changing out the winch cable for a web belt? Intuitively, I would guess a metal cable would have a much higher safe working load than nylon webbing. I see the stress placed on my cable when loading the same boat (albeit older model) and would be concerned about a switch to webbing. I always though webbing was for much lighter boats.
                            Larry Purcell
                            1999 2452 Classic
                            Merc 5.0L, Alpha 1 Gen 2
                            San Diego, CA

Comment

6 years with this one i paid 50 bucks back then also. I have 2 alligator clips to the battery. I leave the engine in the truck running it takes alot of juice.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHQQ8wIwAQ
                              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                              X