Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windlass question... powerwinch 300... any owner opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windlass question... powerwinch 300... any owner opinions?

I would like to get a capstan style anchor winch to help lift the anchor, and i like the compactness and line speed of the powerwinch 300 @ an unloaded speed of 80fpm (50-60 is probably more realistic with a 30lb ground tackle system)....
    the powerwinch 1000 has the extra power, but at 40fpm it seems so sloooow im afraid that the designated anchor tender may fall asleep on the job while waiting to take another handhold on the line...

but the 30-50lb ground tackle wont slow the drum down hardly at all.....

as its a capstan drum, the 80fpm is no problem, but what is the normal speed that one can handle the anchor line reasonably when pulling by hand?....

and does anyone own or has owned a powerwinch product... I would like to hear if they are a decent and reliable winch for a smaller boat.

im assuming the ones made with a gypsy rather than a capstan are internally the same....

when I started looking, I was thinking i would like on with a 500lb max line pull and about 60fpm free spin, but I see this is not an option... at least not at an affordable cost...

im interested in hearing your thoughts thanks

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding
Working...
X