Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocna anchor review-gctid402512

Hey all-

Had my Rocna 15 (33#) anchor for a few weeks now and have had multiple opportunities to use it.

Long story short- I love it. It has set on the first drop every time and has not broken loose once. When I was researching it, someone had a quote- it is like tying to a concrete post. I agree.

Here in the delta we have mud / grassy bottoms and it is pretty shallow. I also got new chain / rode. 50' of 5/16 chain and 100' 5/16 rode.

All in all a great upgrade as we both love to anchor out. I sleep well at nite when out on the hook.

Not an inexpensive set up but well worth it.

+1

We absolutely love our Rocna - next up - new chain and rode!

Comment

Brad 3055 wrote:
      Hey all-

Had my Rocna 15 (33#) anchor for a few weeks now and have had multiple opportunities to use it.

Long story short- I love it. It has set on the first drop every time and has not broken loose once. When I was researching it, someone had a quote- it is like tying to a concrete post. I agree.

Here in the delta we have mud / grassy bottoms and it is pretty shallow. I also got new chain / rode. 50' of 5/16 chain and 100' 5/16 rode.

All in all a great upgrade as we both love to anchor out. I sleep well at nite when out on the hook.

Not an inexpensive set up but well worth it.
      I hope you meant 5/8" Rode ?
      Jim McNeely
      New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
      Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
      Brighton, Michigan USA
      MMSI # 367393410

Comment

JimMc wrote:
        I hope you meant 5/8" Rode ?
        Maybe it's 5/16 kevlar rode?

Comment

BTW

We too have the 15Kg Rocna. In fact I think we one of the first on the BOC to use it. It has proved to be very reliable.

A 15Kg Rocna with a Acco anchor swivel, on 30 feet of 5/16" Chain and 300 feet of 5/8" three strand nylon.
          Jim McNeely
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Me too. I got mine in April and have used it a lot this season. Many nights on the hook, in many less than ideal anchoring locations (eel grass, mud, soft loose sand, etc.). Add in tides, currents, and a strong winds from thunderstorms, and my boat didn't budge.

It's great. My motto now when I anchor is, "set it and forget it." I sleep very well at anchor now.

Btw - mine is also the rocna 15 which is 33#. It is a little big, though...at least bigger than you usually see on a boat my size. My dock neighbor saw my new anchor in the spring and said, "what are you going to anchor the queen Mary with that thing?" I almost think it can!
            2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
            Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
            Bravo II drives
            Closed-cooling

Comment

ha- yes 5/8. Where did 5/16 come from?????

Comment

Hey if they dont laugh its probably not big enough.
                Jim McNeely
                Brighton, Michigan USA
                MMSI # 367393410

Comment

The 15kg in stainless is $1300+!! Anybody know of a deal out there?

Comment

Rocna is a good anchor and you will find similar effectiveness with a Manson Supreme. There are however better anchors out there but there is definitely a price to pay. Here is a good link to a chart showing some comparisons of common anchors. http://www.bluewatersupplies.com/new_gen_anchors.htm
                    Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

lol at 33# it better work pretty well

I have a 22# (thats rated for 36'-40') bruce, so far shes held in 60mph winds np.

We only have mud bottoms grant you, i will have to take a look at this anchor of yours

Comment

Something to be aware of regarding pricey anchors like the Rocna. I had a 15kg (33lb) Rocna on the bow roller of my boat. I was bow in towards my slip so the anchor was extended slightly over the dock. I came to the boat one day and the anchor was gone. Either someone from the dock or possibly someone working on a boat recognized the Rocna and stole it. All they needed was an allen wrench to disconnect it at the swivel. I replaced it with a 20kg (44lb) Rocna and used red loctite to attach the swivel, so in the future they would have to heat it with a heat gun to remove it. Something to keep in mind. Although the 15kg Rocna worked well with my 32, there are times when we've been up north of Vancouver Island where we were only able to anchor with a scope of 2-3:1 in about 90+ ft of water (150ft of chain plus 130ft of nylon rode) and I felt the additional weight would allow me to sleep better at night.

Mike

Sea Shanti

1990 3288MY

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                          BTW

We too have the 15Kg Rocna. In fact I think we one of the first on the BOC to use it. It has proved to be very reliable.

A 15Kg Rocna with a Acco anchor swivel, on 30 feet of 5/16" Chain and 300 feet of 5/8" three strand nylon.
                          Jim, is the swivel you have? I am ordering my new setup today, and I want to add a swivel.

Thanks!

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...34760&id=33905

Comment

Will

Yes that is the swivel I used.
                            Jim McNeely
                            Brighton, Michigan USA
                            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                              Will

Yes that is the swivel I used.
                              Great - thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X