Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo not working - Water coming from the dashboard - 2012 285

Guys
    Please help. We just bought a low hour 2012 285 and when at speed, the cockpit carpets get hugely wet. I thought that it was from pockets of rain water and when the bow rises, these spill into the cockpit. My wife read that if your speedo doesn't work it could be the water pipe or something. Can anyone shed some light on this and also how to bloody fix it.
    Cheers

Yep. you got it. The speedo is basically a pressure gauge that measures water pressure from a pickup tube that runs from a pitot pickup either in the outboard/stern drive or on the transom. It is a small tube (3/32" ID, or similar) that fits on a nipple on the back of the speedo. Sometimes the tube comes off, and then salt water/raw water splashes all over your dash wiring and your feet..... Find the tube, find the nipple, reattach, and use a small hose clamp or wire tie to secure it. Spray silicone spray on wiring to slow corrosion (unsure of the science behind this but it can't hurt). Good luck.

Comment

You could use a pump spray bottle of salt away on everything that may have gotten wet then followed by a liberal coating of WD-40 (Water Displacement formulation 40) including into the speedo housing. Before reconnecting the hose, disconnect the transom end and rinse it an blow it clear of water. You don’t want more water in the speedo housing.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

https://boatparts4less.com/search?q=speedometer+pitot

I have several models of replacement Pitot Speedometers.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

I agree that if saltwater has sprayed on the back of the instrument panel, you WILL soon have serious electronic issues back there, so a good washdown or two with fresh water isnt going to hurt it a bit and will undoubtedly help to slow or maybe even stop the corrosion that has already began..
          first, unhook the batteries..... then wash/spray any areas that may have been wetted with even the slightest bit of salt water, well with warm soapy water... a couple washings 30 mins apart so the salt has time to dissolve will be the best... then use a fan to blow air across the area to dry it well for a few hours, BEFORE reconnecting the batteries... then a light spray of wd40, as has already been suggested..

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions. I will wash it all down today and spray with WD40. I was also thinking of disconnecting the hose from the leg. I don't use the speedo anyway as I have a gps.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180127_140728.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	407955
              Originally posted by lbaldwin View Post
              Guys
              Please help. We just bought a low hour 2012 285 and when at speed, the cockpit carpets get hugely wet. I thought that it was from pockets of rain water and when the bow rises, these spill into the cockpit. My wife read that if your speedo doesn't work it could be the water pipe or something. Can anyone shed some light on this and also how to bloody fix it.
              Cheers
              Attached a PIC of my speedo - the black rubber tube in the center with the small tie wrap is how the water pressure from the sterndrive pitot (or separate transom mounted pitot in some cases) is what applies the water pressure. Mine - like most - works at higher speeds (and surprisingly is fairly accurate with my GPS) but they aren't much good at low speeds.

Sounds like you have gotten great advise from the experts, just wanted to add a pic if you hadn't seen yours yet.
              Attached Files
              1998 BL Ciera 2655 Sunbridge LX (Special Edition)
              "Sea Flights"
              5.7L 2bbl w/Thunderbolt Ignition
              Alpha I Gen II Sterndrive with raw water cooling
              MFG Extra's - A/C, Fresh Water Engine Flush port, HWH and Windlass
              Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

Comment

Just took the panel off. After 10 minutes managed to locate the tube that had fallen off the speedo. The salt water was over the fuse box area so ive sprayed soapy water over this a few times to get the salt off. Some corrosion but hopefully ive addressed the issue. Once dry ill spray it with WD40 as suggested. Great work guys. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                X