X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Explosion-gctid402326

This happened on the weekend at Oakville Ont power boat club....scary stuff

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...ille-boat-club

Several of the Oakville boats were visiting our club on the weekend (RibFest). They had to delay their departure on Sunday until the harbour reopened.

The guy is relatively new to boating and bought the boat from a friend in the Club. It was a Carver 32 aft cabin. He was having problems with a fuel leak and had paid to have the tanks removed, new bottoms welded in and reinstalled. He had just fueled and started one engine. When he started the second one the boat blew.

They air lifted the one lady to the burn unit in Hamilton. We saw the Orange copter go over!

Luckily the boats normally docked beside the fuel dock were out.

Comment

Sounds to me like some heads are gonna roll

It amazes me how everyone lived thank God & that no other boats caught fire.

Comment

There's no word yet on what caused the explosion, but foul play is not suspected.
        There's some crack reporting, right there.

Hopefully everyone will be alright. This was always my biggest concern when I had a gas boat.

Comment

More news,

The lady that hit the water was blown off the back of the boat. She has severe burns to her legs and several broken bones.

One of the men blown off the Flybridge is in serious condition. I don't know about the other one (the owner) but he is in hospital as well.

Comment

Stray Cat wrote:
            There's some crack reporting, right there.
            Typical lack of detail for reports covering boating accidents. Maybe the journalists aren't paid enough anymore.

Comment

I heard today from someone in our marina today that the guy had no insurance. Can't verify the accuracy of that but it makes one wonder how many others are boating without insurance

Comment

CaptainQ wrote:
                I heard today from someone in our marina today that the guy had no insurance. Can't verify the accuracy of that but it makes one wonder how many others are boating without insurance
                I would not leave home without it...

but that is me... I understand some circumstances preclude or there is no need for insurance for some... :worth
                Doug ;}
                MMSI: 338068776
                "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

CaptainQ wrote:
                  Well if he doesn't have any health insurance, the boat is going to be the least of his financial worries.

Comment

Stray Cat wrote:
                    Well if he doesn't have any health insurance, the boat is going to be the least of his financial worries.
                    If its Oakville Ontario, Canada health insurance should not be an issue. One less worry.....

Comment

Stray Cat wrote:
                      Not health insurance, boat / marine insurance

Comment

Wow, no boat insurance? That stuff is too cheap not to have! Too many (insert your choice word for under educated fool here) on the roads today for me to not have insurance on everything (I trailer my boat). But even on the water there is risk of anything happening, such as the article. But can't you smell gasoline fumes rather easily? I know I can. Standard procedure on a stern drive to run the blowers for a while before starting, maybe he did though?

Comment

While running a blower would not have made the difference in this particular case, these unfortunate incidents are why I flip the blower switch to ON whenever the boat is doing anything but cruising or sitting turned-off at the dock. Much easier to replace a $30 blower every few seasons than to deal with the unthinkable.

Comment

Stray Cat wrote:
                            It is Oakville Canada.......Just west of Toronto. Canada has full health care coverage (OHIP).

Not quit as good as Costa Rico, but pretty much full coverage.

Comment

As someone who has been known to have full, multiple gas cans around for clandestine fueling operations ,,,,,,,this is scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X