Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TROPHY time-gctid348316

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    TROPHY time-gctid348316

    Well,it looks like I am going to buy a 1996 TROPHY 2002,20' walkaround,cuddy with an offshore hardtop and a 1996 175 H.P. Mercury offshore(carb).Would welcome any feedback on the boat and motor.I am buying it from the second owner,He has had it for 4 years,it didn't come with an hour meter stock,regrettably,but the second owner installed one.Since he has had it He has put on about 103 hours in 4 years.The boat is a 9 out of 10,doing a compression test tomorrow,but the motor looks just as well taken care of.It's loaded from radar to mag 10 cannons,it's my first Bayliner so I am reaching out to the wise ones.Look forward to your wisdom.

    #2
    Welcome aboard ! Nice boat know it well.

    May i suggest you put up a general area of your location.

    May i also suggest a pressure test of the gear lube. About 12 lbs.

    When was the impeller changed last, as well as the t-stat ?

    Also This boat has been used in salt or fresh water?

    Good luck !
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

    1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

    '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

    Manalapan N.J

    Comment


      #3
      GET BENT wrote:
      Well,it looks like I am going to buy a 1996 TROPHY 2002,20' walkaround,cuddy with an offshore hardtop and a 1996 175 H.P. Mercury offshore(carb).Would welcome any feedback on the boat and motor.I am buying it from the second owner,He has had it for 4 years,it didn't come with an hour meter stock,regrettably,but the second owner installed one.Since he has had it He has put on about 103 hours in 4 years.The boat is a 9 out of 10,doing a compression test tomorrow,but the motor looks just as well taken care of.It's loaded from radar to mag 10 cannons,it's my first Bayliner so I am reaching out to the wise ones.Look forward to your wisdom.
      Is the 96 the older style straight windshield or curved windshield?I have the older style one (1992 look on my page in picture albums,boat) and get a lot of use out of it mostly for salmon & halibut fishing.

      I have the same motor 1992 carbed 175 and the power is more than enough I cruise 25knots at 4000rpm.

      gotta go but can type more later.

      Comment


        #4
        Thank you for the welcome Chief,sounds like a nice vessel.Pressure test was fine,imp last june,t-stat,I dont know,this has a water pressure guage,is this standard or an option(my first).The guy I bought her from used it alot in brackish waters,but also enjoyed Berkley for halibut and salmon,and once every couple of months he would run up the coast,past Ducksberry for ling,salmon,crab plus the awesome scenery.Once he even took it out to the Farallons,but this boat has been very well taken care of,washed,flushed and maintained,not beat up.The anodes are ready to be replaced but the motor although 16 years old shows no signs of pitting or unnecessary abuse.The trailer has had the backing plates replaced and new brakes. Beachbum,nice boat,I like the single axle trailer,yes she has the straight window also,the hardtop is about 2' above the top of windshield,any preference on what guage clear to use on the front side and rear when I replace them?Also the compression is good but I was curious,if I wanted to drop some H.P. for fuel savings what would the bottom H.P. be and still get you in fast if needed,I should have said that most of my boating will be inter-coastal,just the ocassional open water run.I was always taught to run your carbs dry so they won't varnish,is this true with this 175 merc,if so what is the easiest way to do this(with the oil inj).What size prop do you use on your motor?and if anyone can help me with this one,I am considering a winlass,but I am looking for an open spool that can accept rope and chain,maybe 300 lbs pull or so,hopefully somewhat reasonable. Anyone,ever seen a 3 H.P. evinrude with a swing out lower end and carrying case,my guess is early 70's.I would love to see some of those B.C salmon and halibut. Well,may your days be sunny,your boxes be full and your smiles contagious. Once I can get dialed in I will see what I can contribute,till then,thank you all for any /all golden nuggets of wisdom on my first Bayliner.Ken.

        Comment


          #5
          GET BENT wrote:
          Thank you for the welcome Chief,sounds like a nice vessel.Pressure test was fine,imp last june,t-stat,I dont know,this has a water pressure guage,is this standard or an option(my first).The guy I bought her from used it alot in brackish waters,but also enjoyed Berkley for halibut and salmon,and once every couple of months he would run up the coast,past Ducksberry for ling,salmon,crab plus the awesome scenery.Once he even took it out to the Farallons,but this boat has been very well taken care of,washed,flushed and maintained,not beat up.The anodes are ready to be replaced but the motor although 16 years old shows no signs of pitting or unnecessary abuse.The trailer has had the backing plates replaced and new brakes. Beachbum,nice boat,I like the single axle trailer,yes she has the straight window also,the hardtop is about 2' above the top of windshield,any preference on what guage clear to use on the front side and rear when I replace them?Also the compression is good but I was curious,if I wanted to drop some H.P. for fuel savings what would the bottom H.P. be and still get you in fast if needed,I should have said that most of my boating will be inter-coastal,just the ocassional open water run.I was always taught to run your carbs dry so they won't varnish,is this true with this 175 merc,if so what is the easiest way to do this(with the oil inj).What size prop do you use on your motor?and if anyone can help me with this one,I am considering a winlass,but I am looking for an open spool that can accept rope and chain,maybe 300 lbs pull or so,hopefully somewhat reasonable. Anyone,ever seen a 3 H.P. evinrude with a swing out lower end and carrying case,my guess is early 70's.I would love to see some of those B.C salmon and halibut. Well,may your days be sunny,your boxes be full and your smiles contagious. Once I can get dialed in I will see what I can contribute,till then,thank you all for any /all golden nuggets of wisdom on my first Bayliner.Ken.
          I bought my trophy in 2009.I started in spring with a canoe with electric then 10ft tin boat with 15hp merc and then said the hell with it and hastily bought the trophy with no regrets.

          One cylinder had about 10% less compression than the other five so I was warned motor could pop anytime and not worth fixing.

          I found a private mercury mechanic who works from home he does annual stuff greasing,impeller,zincs etc.

          Fingers crossed and into fourth year and still running strong.Cold starting I keep key pushed in after for about five seconds to keep choke on and she smokes like crazy just the nature of big carbed 2strokes I guess.

          A replacement motor is tricky any newer non carbed motor will burn less fuel especially fourstrokes.I wouldn't go heavier,your motor now is 395lbs.200hp evinrude two stroke is 433lbs and 140suzuki 4stroke is around 400lbs.A used 150 optimax would be my choice because of price point and my mechanic recommends it.

          The trophy is a little stern heavy so when three guys are fishing in waves the motor well has water splashing in and the cable boots have to be in good shape and caulked.As well as the access hatch.I also plug my deck drains from the inside or else water comes in thru rabud flappers and fill my fishwells then she gets real stern heavy.make sure fishwell pump working as well as livewell pump and especially bilge.Bilge should work automatically with marine switch turned off and also manually with switch at helm.I turned my livewell into washdown,I hooked up garden hose to outlet and store hose in box.For fishwell pump i have macerator and glued 1/4" galvanised screen over inlets in fishwells to stop junk getting jammed in lines.

          I cut new 10" hatches on sidewalls of motor well for access to pumps etc.You can buy the round ones at chandleries or boat dealers.They fit under the rear seat brackets.

          Overall this is one sturdy boat and I always feel safe.

          gotta go,hope this helps,stay tuned

          Comment


            #6
            beachbum1 wrote:
            I also plug my deck drains from the inside or else water comes in thru rabud flappers and fill my fishwells then she gets real stern heavy.
            If you still have rubber flappers, you don't have Rabud scupper valves. I have Rabud scupper valves on my 1998 2052 Trophy and this prevents thewater from backflushing through the scuppers and filling the fishwells with a few people in the stern of the boat fishing, no need for plugs in the deck drains. Rabud scupper valves are the ones that look like they have a ping-pong ball in them.

            Comment


              #7
              thanks for the tip i used to have the ping pong ball ones and they did work well the only problem is when the boat sits in my driveway crap from the trees get down the pipes from deck to rabuds or scuppers or whatever and there is no way to clear them.

              Maybe I could put back the ping pong ones and glue some galv.mesh over inlets problem solved.nthego:

              Off to some good hockey vitoria royals vs prince george cougars.

              Comment


                #8
                I talked to a guy with the same boat and he said he was getting 1.75 mpg. He said it was a little stern heavy.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Loving all the input,so much knowledge,so much to do.I wish I could tell you that I am going out tomorrow but that isn't the case,but that's alright,more time to get her the way I want her.Beachbum and everyone else,you are making the setup of the boat so much easier,the past owner cut an access in the motor well(I will get a seal for the door),he used the fish box pump for a washdown but I like the convenience of the live bait tank instead.I am planning on a fuel/water seperator in the motor well on the side as well as an inline fuel filter(glass),any input?Also an extra bilge pump?Like the optimax idea,heard good things also,would like to lighten up the stern(though most of the time just 1 or 2 people,but also the fuel savings(but at this time the motor is hitting 120 to 122 between all six)so we will see what costs come first.Does fishwell pump pump in/out or just in?as I said he turned fishwell into washdown,I will propably convert back.My first radar,it's a JRC 1500 mk2,when I turn it on the rotation doesn't sound smooth,hasn't been used much,is this normal(need cleaning)or is something else going on?I haven't looked yet,but they don't offer a new125 plus 2 stroke thats worth buying to lighten the back and the fuel costs?I know???????,but when she's ready,and I am atleast it should be a fun trip and not a bad one.Thank you all again,will send a pic when I can figure that out,haha.Also,does anyone suggest diconnecting fuel line to empty cars for storage?Well,gotta go,work on boat,be back soon,Ken.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    bEACHBUM,i FORGOT TO TELL YOU,i TALKED WITH MY MECHANIC,hE SAID THIS MOTOR(CARB)IS AN EXCELLENT MOTOR AS LONG AS THE COMP. IS WITHINNO MORE THAN 13%,ORIG,FACTORY IS 125.gOTTA GO.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The fishwell pump empties the fishwells and the livewell pump fills the livewell which overflows out the side of boat.

                      You should check your bilge pump by actually putting water down there to activate float switch.It should work with and without marine switch turned on.

                      You should have two batteries in good shape.I cruise with 2 batteries switched on and fish with 15hp kicker motor switched to 1 battery just in case i need other battery for starting up big motor later.

                      The radio,fishfinder,charplotter,downriggers etc.can run down your batteries.My 15hp charges my batteries as well but its always best to keep one battery in reserve for getting home.If all else fails yor kicker will get you home.

                      Does your boat have trim tabs?They really help to soften the ride in rougher conditions and for levelling.

                      If you have chartplotter/fishfinder check if they actually function.Turned out mine didn't even though previous owner assured me otherwise.That cost me $1500.

                      I wouldn't change motor just baby it and cross your fingers.You don't need to go full out.My boat purrs along at 25 knots around 4000rpm with stainless steel mirage prop.

                      I am putting my boat in slip at Oak Bay Marina for next two months.I usually just keep in my driveway but was offered free spot by another boat buddy who moved to another marina.I guess I will have to take him fishing!nthego:

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have a 1993 2002 WA with a 2006 Suzuki 140 4 stroke fuel injected. I can honestly say it does squat the boat quite a bit. I also used to run the Rabuds but had to replace them every year. They would turn white and crack over the winters. But I do live in Alaska and it does get -20 to - 30. The boat is covered every winter so it isn't ice build up cracking them. I just "suffer with the perko flappers. I also run ( 2) 2000gph bilge pumps set up for auto. It is a small hull and would flood fast if holed (why do they put 500 gph pumps in smaller boat?) Running at 5200 rpm I pull right around 30 kts (by gps) and burn between 8 - 11 gph depending on the load.

                        I will say that it will turn so fast it can scare you. I also run Insta-trim trim tabs but only use them to correct the lean to port that it seems all Bayliners have. Only complaint I have is no built in head (for the wife)
                        Boatless at this time

                        A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I was wondering about the 140 suzuki?What is the minimum rpm to get on plane and good rpm and speed to cruise and stay on plane.Are you happy with your motor?

                          My 175 carbed merc. gets me on plane at 3500 rpm and I cruise at 4000rpm around 25knots.The max rating for trophy is 175hp.

                          Your motor probably burns 1/2 the fuel mine does.I just worry about a smaller motor working harder and the higher rpm vs noise.

                          The 175 suzuki is probably too heavy 90 lbs more but more quiet and smooth?

                          Just curious because weight & noise is an issue,I cant figure out if 6 cylinder 2stroke or 4cylinder 4stroke is the way to go?

                          I guess when the time comes it will come down to price point and availability because i cant go long without my "beachbum"

                          especially in the summer when i am out there lots and not sitting in front of the friggin computer...nthego:

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Well,thanks for the fishwell,livewell info,I can make sure they are plumbed right.I run 2 batt(700 mca deep cell)1 for the motor and 1 for everything else.Looking at a 25 merc I have for a kicker,either that or an 8 hp evinrude,both excellent shape.Yes the lowrance HDS-5 ff/gps/chartplotter is in excellent working order and shows the boat top speed at 42 mph at I want to say about 5500 rpm's, but about 3500 to 4000 seems to plane her fine.The boat has some spring loaded trim tabs,more for planing but the boat seems to ride nice and level,would prefer hydrolics but one thing at a time.The bilge pumps and the boots in the motor well are the first thing to attack,then checking the plumbing and redoing the washdown to the live bait well.If it's any consolation you can tell the wife that the head in my boat is just a little bigger than a coffee can,nothing like my old Skipjack 20,but the cuddy and the walkaround features are so much nicer.I guess nobody bleeds their carbs for storage then,just curious,anyway time to go plug away at her,c u soon.Oh,any thought on single versus tandem trailer?Enjoy that slip you have been blessed with,Happy fishing,I'll be there soon.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think it is a great motor, although a bit small. I definatly would not go smaller.

                              I did swap the "stock" 3 blade prop for a 4 blade for better time to on step. I do need to experiment with props this year, the 3 blade was a 14 x 17 and the 4 blade is a 13.5 x 19 ? There is certainly hp to spin a bigger prop with more pitch. I don't nessecarily need to get there first, just get there with the fuel to get back And to push heavier loads.

                              As for the engine, fuel injection rocks, turn the key, it spins, it starts and is ready to go once the oil pressure stabilizes, only time it has stalled was when the fuel hose got knocked off (bad connector, replaced on the water right there)it is an ouitboard so it is still loud but it is the same as my friends 90 hp Honda. No where as loud as the 2 strokes I have had in the past. (don't know about the Etec, I have heard they are pretty quiet) It is a really smooth running engine once the rpms come up, it does "shake" at idle though. I can certainly hear my wife talking to me when we are on step, I do have a external speaker for the radio though. (mine is in dash where the original ignition was )
                              Boatless at this time

                              A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X