Battery systems.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery systems.

Just a thought, some boaters lack of knowledge of things mechanical. was reading an article of a boater transporting there boat from AK. to Seattle for a maintenance upgrade, as the nice and interesting story and trip progressed, a mention was made of only having one Battery and could not stay on the hock for more then a day. So how difficult is it to set up a house bank, when most battery switches are set up for two banks? I would not go out and travel any distant without that set up, what are your thoughts?
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

It’s not difficult to add more batteries to a single circuit, it’s a matter of connecting them in parallel, plus to plus/minus to minus. It’s easier and more cost effective to change to a much larger battery. The refrigerator is usually the largest draw. That said, it’s important that the starting battery be the type that dumps power quickly and a house battery be capable of long deep discharge without damage. A “starting” type battery will not withstand being discharged constantly, at the same time, a “deep cycle” battery doesn’t deliver huge amp loads quickly, like for the starter. This isn’t to say they won’t work generally, but may be an issue when they are on the low side. I found that adding a large, separate battery for a house circuit and turning off the starting battery when on the hook gave me the most confidence.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

You are correct in what you have written, But the point I was making why some seafaring owner can not on the own take care of minor upgrades, or perhaps solve a problem when stuck out in the big swell.

Comment

Agree with ya Fritz, I have 3 group 27’s for the house and 1 dedicated start battery for my tiny 2556
        however belive it or not there are people that own boats, cars, dirt bikes etc that don’t know anything about them
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Fritz, I thought you were asking something for serious. I wouldn’t toss the hook out for the night without a backup battery. It continues to amaze me that some of those types make it back at all. Beyond that, if the owner was spending the money to move the boat to Seattle and didn’t have much margin in the battery, what else was deemed “unimportant”?
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
            Just a thought, some boaters lack of knowledge of things mechanical. was reading an article of a boater transporting there boat from AK. to Seattle for a maintenance upgrade, as the nice and interesting story and trip progressed, a mention was made of only having one Battery and could not stay on the hock for more then a day. So how difficult is it to set up a house bank, when most battery switches are set up for two banks? I would not go out and travel any distant without that set up, what are your thoughts?
            This is EASY on the 2859. I have done it twice.

First..

Make your #2 bank your house bank by buying a set of two costco golf cart batteries.

Using a fuse and a on off switch Install a #6 AWG cable from the positive of your new house battery to your power inlet on the main fuse panel behind your dash, unhooking the current fuse panel power source.

Connect a inline fuse to the old fuse inlet power source wire, and connect to that the purple wire on your main fuse panel. (This is your ignition wire.) You are making your ignition run off of your engines battery, not your main fuse panel. (note) the old main fuse panel feed wire comes from the 50 amp breaker on your mercruiser engine, making it the perfect ignition power source.

Connect a ACR between the positive terminals on your two now separate battery banks. This will automatically charge your new house battery bank from your engine alternator or your battery charger.

In operation always have your old 1-2-both-off battery switch in the #1 position. If you need some extra cranking power you can temporarially put the switch in the both position.

Other additions I made to the 2859 electrical system were to add a inverter/charger to the house bank which will provide AC power underway.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Yes Pete that was my point, the inability for some to solve simple tasks to maintain or improve there vessel, yet travel great distends some in open water without redundant systems is scary. Kevin I like your system, on my 2859 the battery system consists of 1 main start big 12V, 2 - 6V for the house, 1 Optima sealed in forward under bunk compartment for the windless and down the road bow thruster, charger is a 3 bank ProSport20plus, still need to add a 3 way charge splitter from the Alt. add one other project will be an Inverter, will be looking at what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                Agree with ya Fritz, I have 3 group 27’s for the house and 1 dedicated start battery for my tiny 2556
                however belive it or not there are people that own boats, cars, dirt bikes etc that don’t know anything about them
                Some don't know anything more than where to put the fuel, and some even get that wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/wreg.com/...od-holder/amp/
                Esteban
                B-ham!
                Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Originally posted by green650 View Post
                  Some don't know anything more than where to put the fuel, and some even get that wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/wreg.com/...od-holder/amp/
                  Exactly.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                    While we're on the topic, what are some of the pros/cons of dedicated 12V vs a pair of 6V golf cart batteries for the house (deep cycle) battery bank?
                    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

1/2 of the weight to install and remove
                      Alex
                      1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
                      1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

For me, I have room for 3 batteries, I’d need 2 or 4 six volt batteries to get a 12 volt house bank. You can get more amp hours using six volt golf cart batteries wired in series but as fishaman points out the 12volts are not so heavy and can most likely be found almost anywhere.
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        Misc. projects thread

Comment

One deep 12V cycle or 2 golf cart 6V - long term I get more life out of the golf cart battery's and a higher amp.

Comment

Working...
                          X