Help HELPPPPPPP water in engine-gctid402105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help HELPPPPPPP water in engine-gctid402105

ok so i got a used 1983 cierra sunbridge 2450 and i took it out for the first time and forgot to put in the drain plug the motor quit but would turn over when i looked in the engine compartment i thought the bilge had quit....long story short..so when i got it home i checked the dip stick and it comes half way up the stick and its a little milky...got water for sure...so i am gonna drain the oil and put a new filter and oil in it....then i am gonna pull the plugs and inspect them....if they have evidence of water i am gonna turn over the motor and get the water out...if any is on the pistons and then i am gonna put some oil in each cylinder and turn the motor over a couple cracks and then get the oil out and put in new plugs....does that sound correct??? a few more questions:

how do i change the oil? i dont think a pan will fit under the motor...

is there anything else i should do??

does anyone have a similar boat because in the cabin there is a drain and water got into the cabin and the floor is soft so i am going to have to replace the floor....does the cabin also have a bilge under the floor??

i noticed that the drains all over the boat come out two holes in the stern....will these be above water or should i plug those as well whenever i go out??? i dont think i should but i am not certain....

any help or info would be greatly appreciated....thanx

Sounds like a good plan. Do it sooner rather than later. Especially if salt water.

Comment

thanx trophyboat...its fresh water...its been about a week and i am out of town this week...but i am gonna do it first thing sat morning....thanx again

Comment

I don't know where the starter is on tha setup, but if it got in salt eater it will fail sooner than later.

Darby

Comment

ok so i drained the oil and pulled the plugs...i had to take the exhaust off to get at the plugs....while i was there i pulled the valve covers off...there was even evidence of water on the rockers...i am going to clean off the rockers and all of the top of the heads. i still have to check the pistons to see if water is on the pistons...i plan on putting new oil and oil filter with new plugs and then putting the muffs on and see what happens....i must have gotten more water on than i originally thought....hoping i dont have to change the head gaskets....anything else i need to check or should do...thanx folks

Comment

You had to take the exhaust off to get to the plugs?!?

Uhmmm....mind posting a pic of your engine and exhaust setup?

Otherwise you are doing all the right things. Verify the engine is sound and tight, and then run it and change the oil two or three times in quick succession.

I'd also look at the starter. If it was submerged, its a matter of when it will fail, not if.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

ok i will take some pics today and post them tonight

Comment

how long should i run the motor between each change??? how many times do you think i should change the oil and filter??? how many times should i change the plugs? what should i look for on the starter?? or should i just replace it after i am certain the motor will run ok??

Comment

Maybe on of the full time mechanics will pipe in, BUT......... When we bury our atv's in the water we drain the oil, dump in diesel (couple quarts), turn it over a minute or so, drain the diesel, add a few more quarts, crank it over a minute or so, etc till it comes out clean, then we fill it with oil, start it run it a few minutes, drain it etc, till the oil comes out clean. Cheap oil from Walmart for flushing is way cheaper than engines. (Yea we change the filters with every oil change too, just the cheap walmart frams. then the final one are the more expensive and better Wix, etc.)
                  Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

hey thanx for the reply mutt....i have heard that about cars to...so i think i will try the diesel....how much diesel should i put in??? what about plugs should i leave them in or out??? should i dissconet the coil so it doesn't fire??? i will get the cheap oil from walmart and a cheap some cheap oil filters too...

jamie

Comment

oh one other thing i noticed that the drain plug is threaded any idea where i can get one???? is the size all standard and if so what size is it???

Comment

We pull the plugs and use the same amount of diesel as the engine requires of oil. The engine turns over easier without the plugs and diesel has lubricating properties (not the same as oil but you are not running the engine, diesel also bonds with water easier than oil plus it drains to the pan faster, also pull the coil wire so you do not chance arcing the plug wires.
                        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

ok mutt i will do that....thanx...

Comment

Working...
                          X