Bad Engine Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Engine Work

Does anyone out there have an idea for a lawyer to represent me for an engine overhaul that was done badly. My engine was overhauled in Oct 2015. It has barely 19 hours on it now from repeated 1 hour test runs, each resulting with overheating. Ever since about at the 3 hour mark it started overheating with intermittent banging noises coming from the engine. Had the engine re builder ride along at about 5 hours and it ran perfect. Soon after, the symptoms started again. The re-builder said there was nothing wrong. I had the marina mechanic replace the thermostat, same symptoms. The replace the raw water impeller, no change. The re builder came out to replace the engine circulating water pump, found it in peaces, but it is still overheating. The last time I took it out for a test run, it overheated and seized. Now I'm faced with the loss of a $5,000.00 overhaul.

Did anyone verify the impeller was good and no blockages in the water pickup or exhaust system? What all work was performed? Are you sure the issue is not due to the rebuild?

Two years latter will be hard to develop a sound case.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

• motorboat#4
      motorboat#4 commented
      Editing a comment
      It could be caused by the rebuild since it overheated every time I ran it out into the harbor under torque. It never overheated on the hose.

• Nauti_Mike
      Nauti_Mike commented
      Editing a comment
      Running on the hose without the engine being under load is meaningless for testing if an engine is overheating due to low flow.

Yes it could be related to the rebuild but on the other hand it may not. Until the root cause is found you will not know.

If I had to guess I'd say the impeller ran dry on startup and ate a couple of vanes which subsequently got stuck somewhere creating an intermittent overheat. But now it doesn't much matter. Two years down the road you're on your own. Just by way of comment I've spent my life around equipment and like to pull wrenches. I've also spent my life around boats. "Marine mechanic" should be a HUGE red flag. I'm sure there's a few good ones but the odds are against you.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

• motorboat#4
      motorboat#4 commented
      Editing a comment
      No vanes on the rubber impeller were ever missing. Changed impellers 2 times. Even changed engine water pump.

yes, things aren't going myway. Overheated from the beginning. I have a recording of one of the first runs, noisy as hell. That's when I called the owner of the company for a ride along. It made no noise what so ever. I need someone to help me, I can't afford another $5,000.00 rebuild.

Comment

Maybe get the insurance company involved.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• motorboat#4
        motorboat#4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, BoatUS is asking me a lot of questions. A lot of you guys are saying too late, but have had indications of trouble since the beginning. Didn't use it much in 2016, had family issues and thought the troubles were temporary since the tech said to take it easy the first few hours which happened at the end of 2015.

Have you spoken with anyone, BBB?
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Small claims court?
        Did you ask the re-builder to fix it?
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

• motorboat#4
          motorboat#4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the damages may be more than the small claims court would handle, will be an option though......I asked the builder to repair it but he said I am out of the 12 month warranty. And I still haven't had an outing with the family. Have gone out a dozen times for test runs, each time for an hour. Barely made it back each time with only 19 hours on it. And it siezed the last time out, crashed into the dock when the engine seized. I'm really frustrated.

Sorry for your troubles but my thoughts are you are out of luck. You knew there was a problem yet you let the issue linger well past the warranty period. You didn't use the boat for a year. Anything could have happened during that time and I find it difficult to think any court would rule in your favor.
        You have to accept some responsibility for your failure to get the issue corrected in a timely manner.
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

• motorboat#4
          motorboat#4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is why I let it "linger". When I had Tech One ride along to hear the banging sounds in the engine,which was within a couple of months of the overhaul, and the engine make any strange noises for the techs to hear, they said it was probably trapped air in the cooling system. And it was the reason for the overheating on my last trip before that. I believed them and hauled the boat for the season. Then I worked on hull improvements and had other things to do the next season. In any event, its only got 19 hours on it now after a dozen test runs this past summer until it's now seized.

Yeah, I am gonna jump on the bandwagon and say that you are SOL. You are best off trying to negotiate something with the rebuilder, if that is possible. Any lawyer worth your time is gonna cost you more that $5000 anyway.

Depending on your jurisdiction's rules, you might be able to go to small claims court and not bother with a lawyer...you'll have to pay some small fees to file the case. But it doesn't sound like you have much of a case.

Comment

" The re builder came out to replace the engine circulating water pump, found it in peaces, but it is still overheating."

Did they get all the pieces out? Also when the engine was rebuilt were the manifolds and risers replaced? There are many things that can cause overheating that would have nothing to do with having an engine overhauled. When you said the engine was overhauled, what was done to the motor. People have different ideas about what an overhaul means.
          1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
          5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

ken51k - Yes, all the risers and manifolds were rusted and replaced. Put in a new aluminum oil pan. I was shown rod bearings and viewed the block fully dissaembled. Ran the boat in late fall about three times being care ful not to rev over 3000 rpm as per Tech One so it wouldn’t overheat excessively. Ran it periodically on the ears for the next year (2016) or so while I worked out family issues and did boat improvements. 2017 came and June came. Did test run and over heated. replaced thermostat, pumps wit no improvement. Overheated on the way in every time. The last time it stopped running when I attempted to reverse at the dock. Crashed into dock. Told Tech One it was still overheating. He said it must be your carburator making it run lean. He said to bring in the carburator for a rebuild. Before I was going to remove the carburator I wanted to run it again to see if it would start. Thats when I found out it wouldn’t even turn over at all, charged batteries to full and tried again, nothing, siezed. Went to Tech One, told him it looks as if the engine is siezed. “can’t help you, its out of 12 monthe warranty” At 19 hours of run time he won’t help me.

Comment

Trying to imagine the engine circ pump impeller was in pieces? What engine? Raw water cooled?
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

• motorboat#4
                motorboat#4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, me too. Never seen a circulator water pump in pieces. Its an OMC chevy 5.0. I’ve seen wobly pulleys on water pumps but never heard of the internal parts come apart. This could be the noises I heard during the first couple of runs. I’ve got recordings of that noise, sounded like pushrods trying to pound a hole in the heads.

Your only option may be: Tear the engine down to the block remove the heads, inspect the cylinders, if it can be bored again then have it done, the machine shop may ask you to buy pistons and rings so they can be fitted, be sure the machine shop checks the coolant passages.
              If the heads can be milled and valves done or replaced you may be able to salvage the heads.
              Find a friend that knows how to put it back together properly, or let machine shop do the reassembly of the block and heads.
              Buy a new marine water pump on ebay you can also get a marine gasket set on ebay.

Other option is a new long block, or short block if the heads can be salvaged, I would go with a long block.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I’m basically out of money for more major repairs. This was my last fling for getting my boat running. Should have listened to my wife. But I was trying to continue my favorite hobby in retirement. Got a good tow vehicle, recent upgrades to the boat and now no motor. Florida retirement has not been kind to me.

Comment

Sounds like they didn't have the proper marine grade circ pump installed.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Working...
                  X