I need help from a 305 owner with access to their boat.-gctid348213

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help from a 305 owner with access to their boat.-gctid348213

I am working on upgrading our man over board recovery system.

I am planning on rigging a rope and pulley system to haul someone up over the side using a Lifesling. This would be used if it's too rough to get them back via the swim platform ladder.

Pulling from the upper part of the arch is not a viable option as that would exceed the strength of the arch according to Bayliner.

My plan is to anchor the pulley system to the base of the arch on the Starboard side. The second pulley would be on the port side with the loops spanning the cockpit. A line would drop over the Port side aft of the arch and be secured to the Lifesling. Then using the pulley system we would haul in the person being recovered.

I need the length of rope it would take to go all the way around the base of the radar arch where it meets the hull.

My quess is between 36 and 48".

Any help would be appreciated.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

JimMc wrote:
    I am working on upgrading our man over board recovery system.

I am planning on rigging a rope and pulley system to haul someone up over the side using a Lifesling. This would be used if it's too rough to get them back via the swim platform ladder.

Pulling from the upper part of the arch is not a viable option as that would exceed the strength of the arch according to Bayliner.

My plan is to anchor the pulley system to the base of the arch on the Starboard side. The second pulley would be on the port side with the loops spanning the cockpit. A line would drop over the Port side aft of the arch and be secured to the Lifesling. Then using the pulley system we would haul in the person being recovered.

I need the length of rope it would take to go all the way around the base of the radar arch where it meets the hull.

My quess is between 36 and 48".

Any help would be appreciated.
    All the things I have been taught about recovery of people recommend approaching on the Starboard, so that the driver can have unrestricted sight of the people in the water. If they are on the Port side of the boat then they most probably would be out of sight from the helm.

You should reverse the set up of your equipment so that the driver can have the waterborne in sight throughout the operation.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Comment

What is the weight limit on the arch according to Bayliner. When I was installing the radar on my 3055 I sat up on the arch to do some of the work because it was easier that way. I weigh in at 198 lbs and the arch had no problems holding my bulk.

Maybe I am lucky that I did not collapse it.:drama
      Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
      West River Yacht & Cruising Club
      www.wrycc.com

Comment

RGrew176 wrote:
        What is the weight limit on the arch according to Bayliner. When I was installing the radar on my 3055 I sat up on the arch to do some of the work because it was easier that way. I weigh in at 198 lbs and the arch had no problems holding my bulk.

its a pretty tough arc, my fat *** hangs off it when I am working on there and it doesnt move an inch. I wonder what it would be....

Comment

Jarhead wrote:
          All the things I have been taught about recovery of people recommend approaching on the Starboard, so that the driver can have unrestricted sight of the people in the water. If they are on the Port side of the boat then they most probably would be out of sight from the helm.

You should reverse the set up of your equipment so that the driver can have the waterborne in sight throughout the operation.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
          I agree with approaching with the person in the water to starboard.

The Lifesling is trailed behind the boat and as you circle the concious person in the water the sling is brought to the person. Once the person puts on the sling they are then pulled to the boat. I want to bring this person on board from the port side as I have better standing access over this side. Also my stern access door from the swim step is on the port side.

If I was dealing with an unconcious person in the water I would approach them with the boat keeping them on the starboard side. Once we are nearing them I would shut down. Then using a gaff we haul them on like a tuna.
          Jim McNeely
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

RGrew176 wrote:

Bayliner told me 50 pounds. I agree it seems much more capable.
            Jim McNeely
            Brighton, Michigan USA
            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

biohazard wrote:
              its a pretty tough arc, my fat *** hangs off it when I am working on there and it doesnt move an inch. I wonder what it would be....
              Ryan

How much weight do you think you have put on your arch?

Lifting from the arch would allow more flexibility.
              Jim McNeely
              Brighton, Michigan USA
              MMSI # 367393410

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                Bayliner told me 50 pounds. I agree it seems much more capable.
                :wow- maybe I was just lucky. I am certain it can hold more than 50 pounds since it held me.
                Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                www.wrycc.com

Comment

I have never put my weight on it. I have always worked from a ladder. But I agree it seems far more capable than 50 pounds. They were probably erring on the side of caution.
                  Jim McNeely
                  Brighton, Michigan USA
                  MMSI # 367393410

Comment

If you posted this 9 hours earlier, I could have told you. I went to the boat yesterday afternoon. If I go again before you get your measurement, I'll be sure to take it for you.
                    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
                    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
                    Bravo II drives
                    Closed-cooling

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                      Ryan

How much weight do you think you have put on your arch?

Lifting from the arch would allow more flexibility.
                      Over 100 lbs. You can always reinforce it I am sure too.

Comment

With my Isinglass up, I can't even see well on the port side to back into the slip, let alone see a person. This MUST be done to starboard.

Comment

Working...
                        X