Adding Poly Trailer Rubbing Strips to trailer bunks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Poly Trailer Rubbing Strips to trailer bunks

I launch my Element XL on some very shallow boat ramps on occasion. This means that when my car's rear wheels are on the waterline I am sometimes unable to push the boat off into the water as it is still supported on the trailer bunks and it has not enough floatation to come off the trailer (I am often boating solo).
    Sometimes I have to reverse quickly and brake sharply before my car's rear wheels hit in the water in order to have the boat move off the trailer into the water. All my previous boats had tilt trailers with rollers, while the Eagle brand trailer I have has bunks only. The bunks are covered with blue carper type material which seems to have a pretty high friction coefficient. I am wondering whether the blue poly material rubbings strips attached over the carpet (or instead of the carpet) on the trailer bunks would assist.
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/traile...ing-strip-1-5m
    I'm also curious as to whether this material is likely to damage the gelcoat under the boat.
    Can anyone advise whether this is a worthwhile improvement or is there a better way?
    As always, I know there is a guru on this forum to assist.
    Thanks in advance.
    Peter
    Peter Walter-Smith
    Riverport of Goolwa, South Australia
    2014 Bayliner Element XL
    115HP Mercury EFI

It's OK to back in farther, and get your car tires wet. Just don't submerge the rear differential. You should be able to back in far enough to float the boat off the trailer.
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    sigpic
    2000 Bayliner 2858
    "GETAWAY"
    MMSI: 338094599
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Just watch out not to lower your exhaust pipe(s) below the water. The gasses from the engine must be able to escape.
      Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
      2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
      12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Assuming lake water? Occasionally dunking the rear wheels in lake water won't hurt anything but it sounds like the trailer tongue could be a bit longer.
        Cant speak for the poly glides in your link, mine are different and install over the carpeted bunk.
        Also, not sure how thick those glides are but keep in mind that adding any additional height to the bunks means backing in a bit further to float the boat off.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

If you add poly strips be sure you have enough tie downs to keep the boat from coming off the trailer unexpectedly.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Originally posted by boatworkfl View Post
            If you add poly strips be sure you have enough tie downs to keep the boat from coming off the trailer unexpectedly.
            No crap. When I swapped trailers the new one had the glide strip things on the bunks. I didn't get the boat all the way on the trailer and have to move it forward a few inches. I hooked up the trailer and started to head to the ramp (the bunks were dry as it had been a few weeks, the front strap was really tight) I was doing 10 mph, touched the brakes to slow for a speed bump and the boat slid forward to where it belonged. I just backed it right back into the yard.
            Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I added those strips to my previous trailer and the one I have now. My boat does not slide off the trailer. I always have to board it and use engine power to get off the trailer.
              1998 Capri 1950CL
              3 Liter MerCruiser
              Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
              2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

I always worried those narrow strips really put a lot of force on narrow area of hull. You can try silicone spray on carpeted bunks to make them slicker, but it will be something that you will have to do over and over again.

It may just be nature of dealing with a shallow angle ramp....too sharp of angle then it's hell getting boat to settle on trailer bunks correctly.
                Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
                Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

Is it possible to lower the bunks on your trailer, or lower your trailer (lowering blocks, leaf springs, etc)?
                  Or try one of these?
                  https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...tch/80232.html
                  It theoretically moves your trailer at least a foot further back. I’ve seen custom made ones much longer, obviously not for using on the highway, just at shady launch ramps.
                  Esteban
                  Detroit, MI
                  Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Working...
                  X