Vhf-gctid401400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vhf-gctid401400

Is there a standrd ch on the raidio that everyone monitors? It's Ben over 30 yrs and just starting over again. Lk Mi and Lk Erie. Thanks. Also is it the same for a radio check?

if you don't have a radio yet: all the new ones have DSC to digitally call for help. Ch 16 is the channel monitored by USCG and in some areas Ch9 too. All the manuals I looked at have the channel allocation shown and all new radios have a button to switch to Ch16/Ch9. DSC has a test mode which doesn't bother anyone if you try....

If you have an old one without DSC it might be worth investing $100 in a new one.

Comment

Old boat, old boater, but the radio has DSC

Comment

then it also has the "16" button usually marked 16/9 for US models. The setup will define how it acts: either it just switches to Ch16 or it goes 16 -> 9.

Comment

What ch for normal traffic.

Comment

kjs wrote:
            if you don't have a radio yet: all the new ones have DSC to digitally call for help. Ch 16 is the channel monitored by USCG and in some areas Ch9 too. All the manuals I looked at have the channel allocation shown and all new radios have a button to switch to Ch16/Ch9. DSC has a test mode which doesn't bother anyone if you try....

If you have an old one without DSC it might be worth investing $100 in a new one.
            What radio do you have that has a test for DSC both of my manuals for my radios say there is no test for the DSC system do not press the DSC button.

Ken
            300SD all options sold.

Comment

Just want to know what ch people keep there radio on for a normal day of boating?

Comment

Mclark wrote:
                Just want to know what ch people keep there radio on for a normal day of boating?
                Hail on 16, once you reach your party, switch and answer on a working channel (67,68,69, etc)

Comment

Thanks,Mike

Comment

Iproff wrote:
                    What radio do you have that has a test for DSC both of my manuals for my radios say there is no test for the DSC system do not press the DSC button.

Ken
                    Don't have one (yet) but the chance to test a bunch of them as I get them for free for a max 1 week testing. The DSC test doesn't work with the emergency button but is hidden in the DSC menu. I didn't check with all of them so I may have missed the bad one.

Recently had the Garmin VHF100/200, Standard Horizon GX2000 and the Raymarin49 (all ~$200) and like them as they have rotary knobs for channel selection. Unfortunately I have zero space which forces me to go with the Standard Horizon GX1600 with up-down buttons (No way I'll buy the GX1700 with its lousy GPS receiver build in).

Mike: download the manual for one of the above radios. They all have the channel allocation in there.

Comment

What radio do you have that has a test for DSC
                      My Standard Horizon has a test function for the DSC

http://www.atlanticrt.com/standard-h...xed-mount.html
                      " WET EVER "
                      1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                      mmsi 338108404
                      mmsi 338124956
                      "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

DSC Test is a recent feature, within last couple of years.

Ch 16 is the international distress channel. This is the one to be on if the sheet hits the fan. Otherwise hail on ch 16 and then switch to a working channel.

No radio checks on ch16.
                        Jim McNeely
                        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                        Brighton, Michigan USA
                        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

You guys keep going on about DSC - anyone know if he has a gps with appropriate outputs ?

Comment

amazing with so many replies and no one answered the question... like talking to my wife...:hammer

Comment

That's what im thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X