Considering a Bayliner 4855 as my first boat...suggestions?-gctid401353

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a Bayliner 4855 as my first boat...suggestions?-gctid401353

Hi to all: This is my first post. I'm in San Diego and have been shopping boats for about 2 years now. I've got my eye on a couple of 4588's that are for sale. Also, there are a couple of good looking 47's for sale as well.

I'm looking for some feedback about these boats and opinions as to whether or not a Bayliner would be a good choice for my first big boat. (I've owned ski boats in the past).

Also, if any of you have opinions regarding the 45' vs. the 47', I would love to hear them. i.e. ...is the 47' worth the extra $$?

Also, if any owners are out there looking to sell their boat, I'm looking and have some cash to spend.

Thanks for any input!

Welcome to BOC. There's plenty of advice available to you here.

You're going to get better answers if you describe how you intend to use the boat. Do you plan to live aboard? Just you, or you and a partner, or a family of 8 plus a monkey? Where will you cruise? Where will you keep it? Who will maintain it? Etc.

Comment

7/19/2012

The 4788 would be my choice I have been looking at them for a few years myself...I have a 3870 right now....You most definetly would take the 47 over the 45. The 45 has a few design flaws that the 47 corrected...like supporting the fly bridge with real steel rather than just the parlor walls....things like that.....

Bayliner offers a lot of boat for the money and any of the line gives you that...my 3870 is so nice I hate to give it up for the 4788 but I do like that pilot house....

Kim

Comment

Thanks Mike...good suggestions all.

My long term plan, to be implemented in about 2 years, is to retire, buy a trawler and cruise for the next several years. Up to Alaska; down to Mexico...maybe even the Great Loop.

I recognized I'm a novice boater and need to educate myself. I thought buying an older, not so expensive boat, which I can use to enjoy the waters around San Diego for the next couple of years would be a good way to educate myself and determine if I really want to move onto a boat or not. If all goes according to plan, I'll be selling this boat and buying a full displacement trawler in about 2 years.

One reason I've focused on the Bayliners is my perception, perhaps inaccurate, that a Bayliner would be a little easier to sell in the future. Any info regarding the resale value of Bayliners would be appreciated.

So, the plan is to buy something which won't break the bank (under $150K); has some size to live aboard for long weekends, etc. and has some speed to get somewhere over the long weekends. We'll use the boat to fish, scuba dive and hang out near downtown San Diego.

I'm in my late 50's as is my wife. We'll be the primary users of the boat, but also have lots of local friends and relatives that will be tagging along.

My brother in law is a retired sport fishing captain and I'll be leaning on him for the practical lessons of boat ownership and operation.

So...is a Bayliner 4855 a good choice? What say you all??

Comment

Hello and welcome...

"So...is a Bayliner 4855 a good choice?"

If you are searching for information you will find that there are no Bayliner 4855's but in fact you are referring to the 4588. They were also known as 4518's for a couple of years and although we are biased we believe them to be the absolute best bang for the buck in a boat this size by a long shot. They are rasonably economical to operate and maintain as well as being pretty flexible in the way they can be used. That being said all boats are a collection fo compromises so best thing you can do is make a very detailed list of what you wnat in a boat and then prioritize that list knowing that you may never get tthe entire list covered by one boat. You have come to the right place to ask questions and do searches so to get you started I have 'cut and pasted' an old post we made below.

Good luck and hope this helps

Bayliner 45 vs 47

There were changes made in each model year but these are some of the general differences between the mid 80's 45 and the mid 90's 47 Bayliners.

45 has:

- aluminum holding tank below pilot stairs

- aluminum water tanks

- split A/C units port of port engine

- batteries stb of stb engine

- prop pockets

- a decent davit

- wood base flybridge seats

- wood core in flybridge and elsewhere

- wood veneer on port and stb overhangs

- less space pilot and saloon

- usually gensets have no shield

- arch rear facing and needs attention

- teak cap on rails

- more storage

- "V" struts

- 1-1/2 " shafts

- watch for dry turbo's early years

- neat shaft pockets inside to collect water

47 has:

- no prop pockets

- 2" shafts

- less storage

- A/C units are under seats in pilot and master

- batteries at rear of engines

- there is a bulkhead door

- most gensets have shield

- molded seating on flybridge

- arch is forward and braced

- decking is foam core

- more robust davit

- extra space in saloon and pilothouse

- less space in mid stateroom

- more useable space on flybridge

- 95' and down still has all the teak

- most water leaks were corrected

Engine options:

You will find that either Hino engine will provide many years of service if they are not overloaded and reasonably maintained. Get good surveys on the boat and the engines and you will be in good shape to assess your future plans. Disclaimer is that we are not diesel technicians nor in the marine business.

The EH700 series Hino is a bit more robust then the WO6 series but either are more then capable when utilized at their respective ratings. Our experience is that they are well above average in this sub 6.5 litre diesel class for most normal usage. The EH700 series shares no parts with the newer WO6 series engines but the 175 and 220 EH share parts as does the 250 and 310 WO6.

The EH700 (229 hp, 6.44 L) was based on an early 1980's stationary industrial engine for pumping, electrical generation, and similar applications. It was utilized as a non turbo in 122 hp continuous and 142 hp intermittent ratings in many applications when my husband (Ron) first saw them in Shimodate Japan in 1979-1981. The marine versions of 175 and 220 hp (turbo & inter-cooled) have shown good service life, low fuel use, and better then average serviceability, with reasonable maintenance applied. The 175 and 220 are mostly the same except for the turbo, inter-cooler, and fuel load applied. The earlier 220's with dry turbo's can have more problems as well as the regular issues with 2 piece risers, mani-coolers, trans coolers, and lack of general service.

The WO6 D-Ti-II (310 hp, 5.76 L) is still a very robust engine that has a bit more efficiency owing to the extra dozen years of engineering development but should not make a large difference in these applications. The 250 hp version has a number of differences other then fuel load including oiling, sparges, pistons, etc. Running at 60% or so of max hp (not rpm's) these engines will have a life exceeding that of the boat if maintained.. We have found these to be slightly easier to service but again the difference is not large.

We have owned the 175's for 4 seasons in a 38XX Bayliner, the 220's for 5 seasons in a 45XX, and the 310's for 5 in a 47XX with all of the work so far performed by us.
          Northport NY

Comment

The 45 or the 47' Bayliners are perfectly suited to the type of coastal cruising you described.

We opted for the 4788 ourselves. Our boat is a 2001 model and I have to admit I'd like it to have more teak inside like the older units.

It is a very livable, easy to handle coastal cruiser. I would love to someday take ours on the great loop.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
            https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I have a 1991 4588 that has plastic water and holding tanks. It must be a late year model because it also has the 250hp Hinos. There are some drawbacks to any boat and the structural ones can't be changed easily if they don't fit your needs. The only one that bothered me a bit after wanting a bigger tender with a 4 cycle outboard was the 500# limit davit. I resolved the weight limitation by purchasing a 12ft Apex Lite with a 30hp motor that has a bench seat and console (weighs 500# with fuel). The real advantage was the purchase price of the 4588. We put another $30K into the interior with new carpet, furniture, countertops, appliances, and the pilot house electronics and still have a boat that will sell for what we put into it. I haven't updated the autopilot or installed the AIS transciever but those are on the list.

You will want an inverter system with the extra house batteries. We have a SeaKing satellite tv system with an HDMI splitter to a couple of tvs and run a wireless router for internet to keep the kids entertained. You will also want some decent toilets for the heads upgraded to vacuflush or more modern electric technology.

Comment

Just a couple of points. Going from a ski boat on the lake to a 45/47 on the ocean is a huge leap. Are you ready for the learning curve? Things like:

- licencing, rules of the road, channel markers. Take a good course.

- navigation

- marine radio requirements

- proper use of radar, sounder, etc

- tides and current

- docking

- anchoring

- weather

- complex boat systems, both mechanical and electrical

- maintenance (it will take you hours just to wash her down)

- are you mechanically inclined. Unless you are ultra rich, you can't afford to pay to have everything done for you

- are you prepared to be continually tinkering with the boat. There is always something that needs attention. Always.

Please don't take this as discouragement. What I am trying to say is you will not be able to just get on board and get going. While you will have some help and instruction (apparently) there is still a great deal to learn. For example, did you know that you have a 7' tide between high and low today in San Diego while we have a 20' tide in northern BC with all the associated increases in current. Keep that in mind for your Alaska trip.

Don't consider all this a chore. Embrace it and have fun with it, even the maintenance. Just be sure you are ready for it.

Comment

I moved up from a 32' and the difference is almost overwhelming at times. The 4588 is basically as long as a semi-truck trailer and twice as wide while it weighs about 50,000 pounds loaded. The measurements depending on swim step and bow pulpit installations is about 50' long and 15' wide. Most marinas can accomodate a 32' boat for guest moorage while few can make room for the 50' 4588 unless you have reservations if you want to dock instead of anchor out. The draft may be only 3' but the swing on anchor requires some planning due to the tides. Wind pressure while trying to dock or navigate in tight areas is a worry at times. A bow thruster would help tremendously and add a stern thruster then you are almost cheating nature.

You might want to move this string over to the Yacht section for more input.

Comment

Working...
                  X