Excise tax $500 in South Carolina US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excise tax $500 in South Carolina US

Hi everyone, just after sorting through paperwork I thought I’d enquire and see what tax I’ll pay on transferring the title in my name, I couldn’t believe I had to pay excise tax! $500 as it’s 5% of purchase price but $500 is max! I think this is so high just for me to register her in my name.
    Anyone else been through this process?

A bit hard to tell from your post. I am gathering that you are just now purchasing the boat and transferring the title into your name. (that sound correct?)

I am not in SC, so don't know the particulars of your State's taxing, but if you are purchasing a boat here in WA State, there is sales tax, plus fees to title the boat, plus a USE TAX on a boat. The use tax is then put on your boat annually with the purchase of the annual registration sticker that has to be displayed on the boat. All of this is required even if your boat is Documented.

Overall, the cost is not that much... Except for the sales tax. In my county, it is 8.9% of the sales price (slightly different for each locality in this State). On a large boat, that can be expensive and has to be figured into the purchase price you are paying for the boat. It is a big surprise if you don't do your homework before you purchase. My annual boat registration sticker costs about $110. This includes the use tax.
    1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
    S. Puget Sound

Comment

That's cheap. Try to title her here in Washington state and it's 1/2 % for the total value and another 9% for sales taxes.
      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Alaska it is just a one time transfer and registration fee then a registration fee every 3 years. Registration fees are 24.00 UNLESS it is documented
        All powered boats must be registered including tenders, and non powered boats with auxiliary power (canoes with trolling motors etc.) must be registered
        Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Try to document the boat, then usually no state registration.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Document the boat?

Comment

Yes, Document your boat with USCG. Then DNR of SC wants nothing to do with you. DNR handles all boat registrations in SC. You still have to pay property tax.
              Just love being on my 3870............Bill
              1985 3870
              Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
              Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
              Live on board full time.
              North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

There is a fee and a yearly renewal. Go online and check it out.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Yep in Washington it about $1000 per $10000. Buy a $10k boat pay $1000 including fees and what ever Buy a $30k boat it's $3000.
                  plus somewhere around $100 a year to keep it licensed.
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

Last I knew the max personal property tax was $300 then you do have to pay a Personal property tax every year. It declines based on the age of the unit . I had a 1994 pickup when we first moved here and the annual tax dropped to about $50 after it was 10 years old. Boats decline annually also.

i assume you’ve moved to SC. You must be a state resident to register the boat here. Taxes are pretty cheap here. I came from NY and when you buy a boat there, you pay 8 1/2 percent or more sales tax on the boat price when you buy it. By comparison, $300 a year is not much.
                    1990 2755 - sold
                    2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

Working...
                    X