Cross over switch wiring and charger question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross over switch wiring and charger question

Thanks to all for the input on my survey questions. We bought the boat! When we did the seatrial the boat would not start unless the crossover switch was on. The batteries were 6yo and did not appear to be holding full charge so I replaced them with 2 8Ds which was what was on the boat. The generator started easily and that battery was only 2 yrs old. The boat has a 3 bank Newmar charger wired to the switches not directly to the battery terminals. Is this the correct way to wire the charger? The charger was showing less that 10 amps on the meter, while charging. I fully charged the 8Ds separately with another charger. The ignition will only engage when the crossover switch is in the on position. It is my understanding that the crossover switch should only be on and used when the engine start battery will not turn the engines over. Any input would be greatly appreciated. You were all so helpful before.

Thanks,

Les

The crossover switch puts both 8D batteries in parallel. You should not have to do this if your engine start 8D battery is good and all connections are tight and clean. Determine which battery is the engine start battery and perform a load test on this battery. You will need a load tester. I would suspect that the battery is not fully charged.
    Good Luck
    Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's
    1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

According to Promariner the charger should be wired directly to the batteries including a return negative to the charger. It looks like most chargers were wired to the switches at the Bayliner factory way back when.
      "Impasse". 2001 3988
      Cummins 330's
      Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

Originally posted by bal734 View Post
        According to Promariner the charger should be wired directly to the batteries including a return negative to the charger. It looks like most chargers were wired to the switches at the Bayliner factory way back when.
        May be it is all in the terminology! It is a difference between "wired" and "connected". The correct way is to connect the charger outputs directly to the posts of the battery switch AND connect the posts of the battery switch directly to the corresponding battery positive posts; This way the batteries are wired directly to the charger while the battery switch posts are used to bring two cables together. This leads to a clean and clear wiring.

If your start battery is not able to start the engine on its own, either (or both) your start battery is bad or not connected correctly.

Carefully trace the battery cables to determine.

Retired, computer expert / executive
        Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
        Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
        D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
        [email protected]
        [email protected]

Comment

Agree with vista on connecting the on board charger leads at the selector switch, the charge current doesn't care how it's delivered to the batteries and no rats nest of wires at the batteries themselves.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Mine are wired at the switches. I replaced the old, original charger with a solid state and run a single 27 starter battery and 4 golf cart house batteries. The inverter is on a completely separate system with 4 golf cart batteries. I never have the crossover switch on and have zero problems starting the mains. In the old forum I read that the factory batteries were a pair of 27’s.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by MonteVista View Post

May be it is all in the terminology! It is a difference between "wired" and "connected". The correct way is to connect the charger outputs directly to the posts of the battery switch AND connect the posts of the battery switch directly to the corresponding battery positive posts; This way the batteries are wired directly to the charger while the battery switch posts are used to bring two cables together. This leads to a clean and clear wiring.

If your start battery is not able to start the engine on its own, either (or both) your start battery is bad or not connected correctly.

Carefully trace the battery cables to determine.
              I recently installed a new Pro Mariner 2 bank charger, and the instructions were to connect directly to the batteries.
              Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ
              |
              Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
              2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
              2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
              2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
              2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
              And 12 others...
              In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Also, ProMariner/ABYC would like to see a fuse or circuit breaker within 7 wire inches of the positive battery post(s). An MRBF, marine rated battery fuse, on the post itself, works nicely to meet that requirement. Fuses should be 10 amps greater than charger output, ie, 40 amp charger, use 50 amp fuse. And no wing nuts on batteries, just nuts and lock washers. Wing nuts won't pass a survey.
                "Impasse". 2001 3988
                Cummins 330's
                Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post

I recently installed a new Pro Mariner 2 bank charger, and the instructions were to connect directly to the batteries.
                  The issue with that is that whereas the charger may be connected to the batteries directly, other connections to the batteries may have been made using other posts (e.g. battery switch posts) and hence it becomes difficult to determine what is connected to where. That is the reason for recommending that all connections to the battery positive terminals should be made via the posts of the battery switch that allows tracing connections easily while still making direct connections between the charger and the batteries albeit using the battery switch posts as an intermediate landing/connection spot for the cables.
                  Retired, computer expert / executive
                  Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                  Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                  D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                  [email protected]
                  [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                  X